Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organization: A key for Camping

Howdy,

This is just a suggestion, organization, works for us. Everything we take for camping has it's own bag. So when it comes to loading, sure I check the contents of the bag, but all I have to load is the bags. Packing is controlled!
    We purchased these duffel bags over a period of months from Wal-mart. It is just a suggestion, so I thought I'd share. When our children were growing up they too had their own bags and it got them involved with what they would take with them and what they had to leave behind. We didn't take suitcases, this is tent camping. If we decide we are going to sight-see or eat at a nice place, then we'll take a garment bag for a dress, jacket & pants. See I can clean up good too, that's the fox in NYC when I sang in a choir at Carnegie Hall, we did the John Rutter "Requiem".
    Last edited by renodesertfox; 12-04-2008, 08:29 PM. Reason: add another photo
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

We pack a duffel for each kid, too. Makes it easy to check on who's got what and stay a bit more organized than mixing the kid's stuff together.

Comment

I like this topic because being organized is what it takes to have a successful trip. you mentioned that the packing is controlled but also you can easily add or remove items based on your needs for a camping trip. Our popup is ready for that spur of the moment weekend trip without worrying about what was left behind. This also allows you to have a plan "B" ready if events require a change.
      2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD Crewcab
      2004 Rockwood Freedom 1640 LTD
      I am not lost, I am here

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

Comment

Organization: A key for camping

Howdy John,

Good to hear from you again! Been camping some? Or working on your rig? It's always good to have a "B" plan too, there is good advice in what you say!

Comment

organization...

We have found that's one of the benefits for us having a popup; everything stays in the camper. all we have to worry about packing is food, clothing and firewood.
          Bill, Kelly and the boys

1968 Apache tent trailer

Comment

Organization

Howdy Tar Hollow Campers,

Yep, that's good for trailers, but we just keep the 01 Jeep Grand Cherokee loaded 24/7 except for food & clothes also. I tool around the pavement in a Sebring Convt and my bride drives a Honda Civic. The Jeep is ready at a moments notice, except when I download her to do some serious 4 wheelin'.

Comment

Re: Organization

I have changed my organization schemes over the years. Orginally I used plastic bins. But stuff just got lost in those. Here is what I just recently came up with for all the camping tools I haul with during car/tent camping. (Note the kid's sling shot. I will post picts of the rest of the gear when I get the chance.
              --Johnny
              Click image for larger version

Name:	2050.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	69281Click image for larger version

Name:	2051.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	69280

Comment

Re: Organization: A key for Camping

Thanks for posting your pics...it's always great to see how other campateers evolve with the times in organizing their gear! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

I use these bags to hold my daily work tools. It costs more that bins to devote it just to camp gear, but if it means I don't forget something, then it is worth it.

-J

Comment

We use plastic bins for kitchen food and utensils, but duffel-type bags for everything else.

I really like Johnny Test's bag with all the pockets. Makes it a lot easier to see what you're looking for. Might have to invest in one of those.
                    "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
                    ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

My D/R is once again covered in camping gear since I brought everything out of storage to check batteries, broken bulbs, oh yes there is that hole in the tent mesh that needs repairing, etc.
                      Keeping my eye on this thread as anything that will simplify my life is a good thing .
                      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                        Keeping my eye on this thread as anything that will simplify my life is a good thing .
                        Or, when life gets too hectic, just give up and fill up that brand new cooler of yours and head outdoors.
                        Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Another thing that is handy, for us, once we got better organized was that we could carry extra gear including an extra tent just in case the tent pad was too small to pitch our "McMansion" Kodiak. Here we have our 5th tent, out of 15 three season tents(dang I'm always broke) which still fits in the jeep, our Wenzel Dome. The Kodiak wouldn't fit in the 8x8' pad so we used the spare tent and had a great time anyway. The photo is a little old and it's an early HDR but still the same I didn't let a small tent pad discourage me. When my son & his wife come to visit and we go campin he get's this tent to use.
                          btw: White Horse Lake Campground, Arizona.

Last edited by renodesertfox; 06-02-2011, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Here an older but closer view how we pack for camping, we use boxes too but they're called drawers. Handy devices I purchased at the local Wal-mart. Everything has a place and we have trained each other to keep things in it's proper place. That was hard lesson for me, but we are better organized, just got fed up with having a messy campsite. Haha!

Comment

I love your Arizona campsite pic! It looks like a wonderful place; and you've made your site very homelike.
                              Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Working...
                              X