Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelty Shadehouse: Side Panel

Howdy,

The kelty shadehouse works very good, especially in the cool morning air on the desert or even up at Fryingpan Campsite at 9000' in Utah. It helps to keep dew off of stuff and gives shelter if the weather turns different from what you had planned on. We purchased a side panel to block out showing everyone our camp site when people drive by. Sure you have to drive slow through a campground, but people(including us) like to see how everyone organizes themselves when camping, it's just a natural thing to do. So that is why we bought one. But it does double duty also by blocking out the sun and wind from blowing things around. We are now thinking of getting 3 more to completely enclose our kitchen area. We do liike our privacy! The side panel cost us $17.95 plus tax and had it shipped to the Kelty store here in Vegas for free. We really are liking every spot we go to, and camping forums is the greatest site on earth to share ideas!
    Attached Files
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

My regula camping buddy has something similar, but with three legs - he got it years ago, also I think, a Kelty.
    Last year for our local MC meet, we erected it over most of his little teardrop trailer, and tucked the front of my 3-man dome tent under it - made a really nice 'foyer area' to sit, and be able to dress/undress under cover. It kept the worst of the rain off our rigs too. I found I could hang my large CFL battery lantern under the high center point of it for good lighting.

Here's our campsite back then....

Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Kelty Shadehouse

Howdy BD,

Yep, yours, err I mean your friend's shelter is also a Kelty! They aren't in-expensive but they are worth the salt. Looks like you were nice and cozy! Maybe this year it will be a repeat. How is it going with your mounts you worked on over Turkey Day. any photos?

Comment

Had to postpone the work - it rained constantly over the entire holday weekend! Supposed to be better this weekend, so I'll get it done then if all goes well. I have the materials, but my work area is outdoors. The bike is down for maintenance anyways - got a bad chain. Got a new one on order, along with sprockets - gotta change all together due to wear.
        It's a bummer being forced to use just the car.... :o

That shelter was pretty good - just a bit smaller than we'd hoped, but it worked well. If this winter is frigid, I may bring a small electric heater - we set up close to one bath house, so could run a cord. Hate to have to 'wimp out' like that though... :rolleyes:

At least gas prices are still down - just hit a low of $1.79 out my way. Amazing, less than three months after having it nearing $5 a gallon!
        Our September meet in NC was tough - the gas shortage post-Ike made supply chancey - many stayed home. The entire Southeast was dry! But, for us the low price should allow a good crowd for our "Tour de Apalchicola Dual Sport Meet", as we call it. We'll have folks in cabins, some in small TT's and some in tents. I'll be tenting again, and hopefully Robert will bring his Kelty 3-legged shelter again. We seem to get at least one night of cold rain each meet!
        Last year, One night was 30 degrees, then next night was mid 30's with RAIN! Brrrrr.....

Comment

Kelty Shadehouse

Howdy Bigdog(Lance),

Get ready for cold weather, it has been snowing here in Vegas like a spanked todler crying! Our winters are very mild but this winter has turned into a new recorder holder. Everything is white and I haven't been able to see the mountains around this valley for two days. Tuesday, I went out the the Nevada Backroaders and we had no dust what-so-ever. It was the best 4x4 run we ever did without dust! I might have to change my post with dusty trails to muddy trails? HaHa! Got to take the jeep in because of a bad switch in the gear box but I have that convert. Sebring, I'll be tooling on paved parkways shooting the white stuff as soon as the weather clears!

Comment

Actually, other than one 'cool spell', it's been unseasonably warm and rainy here. No rain the last few days, but night temps still in the high fifties! Should be well down into the forties by now at least.
            The cold storms in the northeast are not supposed to reach down here. So says the News Weather Guessers! :D

Comment

Working...
            X