Campsite Photos Everyone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campsite Photos Everyone!

Finally got out for our first camp of the season! `Bout time! Camped at Little River State Park in Waterbury, VT with a group of 15 between 2 tent sites. We had great weather all weekend and even checked out a Renaissance Faire on Sat. Fun time! We also got to use our monster tent this trip, the last couple trips we were jamming ourselves in our smaller "backup inclement weather" tent, so it was nice to have all the room this time. The site was nice too, although there was a pretty sheer drop off on one side that kept us on our toes with the kiddos running around.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4840.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	70560Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4859.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	70561

All in all a great trip!
    Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Nice pics Shortpants! Good to hear you and your family were able to get into the great outdoors and had good weather. Sounds like a great trip. From your pic, I can see why you were concerned with the dropoff and the kiddos running around.
      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shortpants View Post
        Finally got out for our first camp of the season! `Bout time! Camped at Little River State Park in Waterbury, VT with a group of 15 between 2 tent sites. We had great weather all weekend and even checked out a Renaissance Faire on Sat. Fun time! We also got to use our monster tent this trip, the last couple trips we were jamming ourselves in our smaller "backup inclement weather" tent, so it was nice to have all the room this time. The site was nice too, although there was a pretty sheer drop off on one side that kept us on our toes with the kiddos running around.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5634[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5635[/ATTACH]

All in all a great trip!
        Sounds like fun....especially the Renaissance Faire part. I am a big nerd when it cones to that stuff and I would love some details and pics if you have them.

Name:	FB_IMG_1461685230253.jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	70562<---me
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
          Sounds like fun....especially the Renaissance Faire part. I am a big nerd when it cones to that stuff and I would love some details and pics if you have them.
          I will have to be honest and say I was a little let down by the Ren Faire, but to be fair it was the first time for this particular one so it was very small and not what I was used to. I've only been to the Faires in AZ, which are quite large, really well done, and organized. It was also hotter than the gates of Hell that day and the only shade they had set up was in the beer and mead area where no kids were allowed, so we had some pretty cranky overheated kids to contend with. Otherwise it was pretty cool, lots of vendors, sword fighting, performers, jousting, the usual. Here's my photobucket album of Faire pics:
          http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/sr...20Faire%202016
          Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

I will have to be honest and say I was a little let down by the Ren Faire, but to be fair it was the first time for this particular one so it was very small and not what I was used to. I've only been to the Faires in AZ, which are quite large, really well done, and organized. It was also hotter than the gates of Hell that day and the only shade they had set up was in the beer and mead area where no kids were allowed, so we had some pretty cranky overheated kids to contend with. Otherwise it was pretty cool, lots of vendors, sword fighting, performers, jousting, the usual. Here's my photobucket album of Faire pics:
            http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/sr...20Faire%202016
            That is too bad, but the Arizona Renaissance Festival is pretty hard to beat. I think that the one thing they lack is trees. Being in the middle of the desert makes it kind of harb but I really wish they had planted more trees when they opened. The ones they did plant are pretty big now and it would be cool to have more.

I believe there is one in Califirnia that is in a forest and has campgrounds. I think it would be fun to do that.
            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
            – E. B. White

Comment

That is too bad, but the Arizona Renaissance Festival is pretty hard to beat. I think that the one thing they lack is trees. Being in the middle of the desert makes it kind of harb but I really wish they had planted more trees when they opened. The ones they did plant are pretty big now and it would be cool to have more.

I believe there is one in Califirnia that is in a forest and has campgrounds. I think it would be fun to do that.
              Yeah, but AZ is a "dry heat" :mdr: I never really noticed the overbearing heat there because at least you weren't drowning in your own sweat. It was probably about 90-95 degrees on Sat here, but with the unbearable humidity it felt just miserable. I just kept thinking about the folks wandering around in full period regalia, it must have been SO hot!

Comment

The Northern California Ren Faire used to be the absolute best. It was in Black Point Forest (Novato) set between two hills. The layout was perfect in that the food and drink booths were set up in rows going up the middle of the faire and all the "activities" and performances were set up along the outsides - that meant you could grab something to eat/drink and enjoy it while you watched a performance. Tons of shade and trees throughout so nice and cool. And the big swing was set up on the hillside (so it was more work for the pushers and more fun for the riders - made for a LOT of dirty jokes). Workers camped at the faire, but there was no official campground. You'd see ren folks in costumes all over town buying cigarettes, etc.

After Novato decided to build a golf course there (idiots!!!!!!!!), the faire moved a couple times, now it is at Casa de Fruita down by Gilroy. The area is very flat with fewer trees. They moved all the food and drinks to one section with no shade, so you have to sit in the hot sun to eat/drink and have little to no entertainment while you do. There is a campground right there so everyone (workers and visitors) can camp. And there's the big fruit stand next door. But it lacks the flavor of the old Novato site - just never been the same...
                “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Yeah, but AZ is a "dry heat" :mdr: I never really noticed the overbearing heat there because at least you weren't drowning in your own sweat. It was probably about 90-95 degrees on Sat here, but with the unbearable humidity it felt just miserable. I just kept thinking about the folks wandering around in full period regalia, it must have been SO hot!
                  I keep hearing about this 'dry heat' but at 110+ it really doesn't matter....you are gonna be sweaty and gross. Especially on days like this week where it rains for about 20 minutes (not enough to really cool anything off) and then just gets stifiling.

Somewhere I have a picture of me in a frock coat that I want to buy. Its $400 and looks horrible on the hanger (think your grandmas couch), horrible in pictures (where the light reflects poorly off it) but amazing on me.
                  – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                    The Northern California Ren Faire used to be the absolute best. It was in Black Point Forest (Novato) set between two hills. The layout was perfect in that the food and drink booths were set up in rows going up the middle of the faire and all the "activities" and performances were set up along the outsides - that meant you could grab something to eat/drink and enjoy it while you watched a performance. Tons of shade and trees throughout so nice and cool. And the big swing was set up on the hillside (so it was more work for the pushers and more fun for the riders - made for a LOT of dirty jokes). Workers camped at the faire, but there was no official campground. You'd see ren folks in costumes all over town buying cigarettes, etc.

After Novato decided to build a golf course there (idiots!!!!!!!!), the faire moved a couple times, now it is at Casa de Fruita down by Gilroy. The area is very flat with fewer trees. They moved all the food and drinks to one section with no shade, so you have to sit in the hot sun to eat/drink and have little to no entertainment while you do. There is a campground right there so everyone (workers and visitors) can camp. And there's the big fruit stand next door. But it lacks the flavor of the old Novato site - just never been the same...
                    I am actually heart broken as I am positive that this is the one I have heard of. I had dreamed of going on a camping/Ren Fest trip.

There was briefly talk of one starting a new one up in Williams Arizona which is north of Phoenix near Flagstaff but it must have fizzled out. Too bad because it is forest up there and I DEFINATELY would have made that a trip
                    – E. B. White

Comment

I keep hearing about this 'dry heat' but at 110+ it really doesn't matter....you are gonna be sweaty and gross. Especially on days like this week where it rains for about 20 minutes (not enough to really cool anything off) and then just gets stifiling.
                      My Mom, Sister and Aunt are in Tucson and they all say it's been pretty harsh this year. I really can't imagine living in that every day. I visited once in June a number of years ago and that was enough to convince me it wasn't a place for me to live. I love the average 70-80 degree temps and 50-60 degree nights we enjoy here in VT in the summer. If I was in 110+ every day I'd probably burst into flame, being a fair skinned redhead and all.... LOL!

Comment

My Mom, Sister and Aunt are in Tucson and they all say it's been pretty harsh this year. I really can't imagine living in that every day. I visited once in June a number of years ago and that was enough to convince me it wasn't a place for me to live. I love the average 70-80 degree temps and 50-60 degree nights we enjoy here in VT in the summer. If I was in 110+ every day I'd probably burst into flame, being a fair skinned redhead and all.... LOL!
                        Haha...my sister is a fair skin redhead. Standard MO for everyone out here is to go from the air conditio ed house to the air conditioned car, then to the air conditioned store....see the theme?

Unfortunately I work construction and the ac in my car doesn't work....but I'm tougher than everyone else so...
                        – E. B. White

Comment

Whew! Finally back online after a forced hiatus when my computer decided to die two days before leaving for our most recent camping outing. We took a long weekend at Elmore State Park and it was awesome! I've loved every State Park we've camped at, but this one was one of the best! Clean, staff was friendly, swimming area was fantastic, fishing was great, other than the weather and an emergency that kept the family that was supposed to come with us at home it was one of the best ever!

Thank goodness we got a lean to site this time as we got hammered with thunderstorms both Fri and Sat night, complete with 60 MPH winds, sideways rain, thunder that rattled the windows on the car and lightning that lit up the skies like daytime. Thus the hastily erected tarps off the lean to and over the tent. LOL! The days were very nice for the most part so we were able to hike, go fishing and enjoy the awesome beach/swimming area. Here's our home away from home for the trip:

Name:	IMG_4913.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	70602

And this was the view out the front of our site, the girls LOVED playing out here. Many an imaginary world was created by young minds down there! haha!

Name:	13775385_1394373303911559_1223481014603174725_n.jpg
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	70604

So much fun!

Comment

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	70606

This is is my current setup. Or one of them anyway. This is my 6-person Cabela's Alaskan Guide Tent at the Rocky Bayou State Park in the Florida panhandle.

Frenchy

Comment

Labor day weekend 2016...
                              Here are some pics (I had to "enhance" the exterior tent pic as it was too dark for any detail);

Enjoy!

(edit); I must consolidate and lighten the load (once again); there is too much Stuff (had to leave out the port-a-potty, portable kitchen etc, etc)...
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Happy Joe; 09-05-2016, 07:51 AM.
                              2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                              For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                              Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                              Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Happy Joe - Neat set-up. I "began" the consolidation and load lightening several years back. I say began because it is an ever changing process. It's a good excuse to re-evaluate everything and get to tinker/get new stuff to reduce and comfortably consolidate. lol My trips are typically 2-3 nights (and a longer one thrown in once/twice a year).

Consolidation has, in our case, made the whole process of gear and vehicle packing, camp setup/camp take down, packing up the vehicle at camp and unpacking it again back home, gear clean-up at home and gear storing blah blah........a much much faster, "less thought process" and "less muscle aches" process to getting out whenever....and getting back. Throw in tight menu/food and clothing planning, and you can go very light, very minimal, and car camp comfortably.

After only having a sedan to camp with for several years, we learned quickly to only bring what we were functionally going to use (excluding safety and weather gear). 3 of us...no external storage on car. There were no "we might use it items" on those trips. If it didn't get touched/used on one trip, we left it home the next trip to try to gain some breathing room (we had plenty of "we shoulda brought that" moments as we went along). Everything else, gear-wise...over time...we've comfortably "shrunk". Even now that we've gotten an SUV again and moved away from the sedan, we still kinda look at the vehicle as an "oversized" backpack and are judicious in the use of that extra space we now have gained back. The less I need to take, the less I need to touch.

I do have to ask about your Labor Day coffee set-up. What is on the table? Around the perculator-windscreen? Cooking with alcohol? etc. etc.

ps...your morning coffee comes with better scenery than the cup I'm having right now.
                                2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                                Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                                Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                                Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X