• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campsite Photos Everyone!

Originally posted by terasec View Post
    Its a common high quality heater,
    uses those 1 lb propane bottles, or connects to larger tank,

cant go wrong with a buddy heater

oh okay cool! i'll look into them. most the 'tent heaters' say not to leave em on cuz they can kill ya lol. would be nice to find one that was safe. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Skwerly View Post
      oh okay cool! i'll look into them. most the 'tent heaters' say not to leave em on cuz they can kill ya lol. would be nice to find one that was safe. :D
      anything that burns is not safe to leave on when sleeping
      buddy heaters do have some safety features
      but if leaving it on overnight highly recommend a carbon monoxide detector
      also do a search on carbon monoxide poisoning, symptoms and such,

Comment

The Big Buddy heater is made by a company called Mr. Heater. Very easy to find with Google.

Catalytic heaters don't consume anywhere near as much oxygen as anything with an open flame. But, without question, I recommend - and use - a CO detector. I also leave more than the specified amount of ventilation as an added precaution. If anyone does buy the Big Buddy and intends to use it with a bulk propane can, I also recommend buying their quick connect hose. It bypasses the need to buy a disposable filter.

Comment

my last campsite in the fall
          nice and simple

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
            The Big Buddy heater is made by a company called Mr. Heater. Very easy to find with Google.

Catalytic heaters don't consume anywhere near as much oxygen as anything with an open flame. But, without question, I recommend - and use - a CO detector. I also leave more than the specified amount of ventilation as an added precaution. If anyone does buy the Big Buddy and intends to use it with a bulk propane can, I also recommend buying their quick connect hose. It bypasses the need to buy a disposable filter.
            Wait....I thought you were cuddling up to this guy for warmth.
            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
            – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
              Wait....I thought you were cuddling up to this guy for warmth.
              If I had a doll, it wouldn't look anything like that.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Patrick Adirondacks.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	69849Click image for larger version

Name:	Adirondacks.jpg
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	69848

I like to car camp, so I can't be called a minimalist, but I do prefer to keep things simple at the campsite. My only luxury is my dog. No campsite is complete without one if you ask me. Unfortunately, Patrick (my longtime companion from the photo above) died last May. I'm going to try and break my new dog, Fergal, in with a short one-night trip this Spring. I'm hoping he likes it.

Comment

Hello A
                  good luck with the new dog,
                  if your starting him out small/young just keep him close,
                  where abouts in NY do you camp? i camp up by watertown,

Comment

Hi terasec,

Those photos were taken at Brown Tract Pond in the adirondacks. Great, quiet campground with sites right on the water.
                    In NY, I've also camped at Stonybrook State Park (that's where I'm going to take the newbie dog) because it is very close to me. I've also tent camped at Acadia National Park in Maine and at Dry river Campground in Crawford Notch State Park in NH. I tent to favor state and National Parks because I am a woman and I camp alone and prefer a place where there are usually lots of other people around and also Rangers. This Spring, I'm heading to Smoky Mountains National Park, and then later in the summer I plan to return to NH. Not sure where I will stay yet, but I did like Dry River.
                    Have any suggestions for nice campgrounds in the Watertown area?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-08-09 17.41.22.jpg
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	69859

Comment

Cant wait until things thaw out and green up. 18 degrees snowing and blowing. Last Camp was Columbus Day Weekend in the White Mountains. Set up that Thursday left on Sunday.

Take note of that perfectly toasted marsh mellow. And a peaty single malt by the fire warms the heart on a cold October night.

Cheers,
                        Marshall
                        Attached Files

Comment

Great campsite with absolutely nobody around.....well, maybe the owners of the property we inadvertently drove onto (oops) were close by but that would be it.
                          I have been inspired by MacGyver and think I am going to start experimenting with tarps to use as canopies. We didn't use it but took one of my ezup canopies and I was thinking that if it was hotter or rained it would be worth it but it takes up so much room in the truck and it is kind of heavy to boot. I could get more coverage with less packing space/weight with a tarp and some rope.
                          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                          – E. B. White

Comment

this is where i spent this weekend
                            was a cold night without a heater, into the teens and i felt it,
                            sorry for the bad pics, all i have

Comment

Originally posted by Aeryn View Post
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]4494[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4493[/ATTACH]

I like to car camp, so I can't be called a minimalist, but I do prefer to keep things simple at the campsite. My only luxury is my dog. No campsite is complete without one if you ask me. Unfortunately, Patrick (my longtime companion from the photo above) died last May. I'm going to try and break my new dog, Fergal, in with a short one-night trip this Spring. I'm hoping he likes it.
                              Aeryn, so sorry to hear about your old dog. Hope the new one breaks in nicely. I never go camping without my dog(s), they are half the reason to go for me. I lost two a couple years ago, the new dog hasn't been camping yet, but loves every minute of mountain or woods time she gets.

One new dog I had years ago barked at the tent as I was putting it up. it was hilarious, but she finally got used to the idea it wasn't going to eat us if we went inside it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeryn View Post
                                Hi terasec,

Those photos were taken at Brown Tract Pond in the adirondacks. Great, quiet campground with sites right on the water.
                                In NY, I've also camped at Stonybrook State Park (that's where I'm going to take the newbie dog) because it is very close to me. I've also tent camped at Acadia National Park in Maine and at Dry river Campground in Crawford Notch State Park in NH. I tent to favor state and National Parks because I am a woman and I camp alone and prefer a place where there are usually lots of other people around and also Rangers. This Spring, I'm heading to Smoky Mountains National Park, and then later in the summer I plan to return to NH. Not sure where I will stay yet, but I did like Dry River.
                                Have any suggestions for nice campgrounds in the Watertown area?
                                Hi Aeryn,

Have you ever camped or herd of Fish Creek Pond in the Adirondacks? Might make that my first trip with the kids after school is out.

Comment

Working...
                                X