• Re: Campsite Photos Everyone!

Tugaloo State Park (GA), March 2019

Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
        Nights under the stars:
        2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
        2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Comment

Fort Pickens FL (the only park I'll visit more than once... in fact, I'll go any chance I get ) We were camping with our friends next door (in the yellow dome tent)

Nights under the stars:

Comment

We took a road trip to Pennsylvania during May 2019. On the way up, we stayed in Natural Bridge VA at the KOA. On the way down, we stayed at a small campground attached to a truck stop in Lexington VA. (since we were returning on Memorial Day Weekend, finding a place that allowed a single night stay was nearly impossible...)

Nights under the stars:

Comment

Black Rock Mountain SP (Georgia).
              We went in July, when the rest of the state was 100+ degrees. We wore jackets in the morning and long pants all day. It was glorious. Spots were narrow and long, and many had stone fireplaces.
              There are several overlooks... all of which are absolutely breathtaking.

Nights under the stars:

Comment

Raccoon Mountain TN

Pros: We went here to escape a hurricane and they had spots. Also, a cave tour on site, tons of kids activities and movies, tons of families with kids to play with, everyone was fantastic.
                Cons: Not anything to really mark the sites. Ours was right next to the bathroom, and I finally just moved our picnic table closer so people would stop cutting through the "middle" of our site. (No fault to them, it seems like there weren't really clear ways to get to the bath house without going through SOMEone's site)

Nights under the stars:

Comment

Magnolia Springs SP Georgia, October 2019

Chosen due to all the Halloween activities they were doing. And then it rained a lot.

Nights under the stars:

Comment

Hello Fellow Campers

Finally was able to "get out there" for a few nights. I didn't go to a state park due to the crowds that are there now that they have opened back up for overnight stays (not just the campgrounds are packed full...but there is heavy day usage of the trails, etc.).

Instead I found a completely different place to park the tent for a few nights. My employer runs a summer camp near Bedford IN (Southern IN) for disadvantaged youths. This year, summer camps have been cancelled due to Covid fears....so the camp will sit unoccupied except for the Director and a Maintenance guy that are always on site. It's almost 800 acres in Southern IN (500 heavily forested) of very rugged terrain with trails, creeks with geodes to discover, a lake for fishing...and plenty of space to pitch a tent and let my dogs run like idiots off leash. The best part is we had the entire place basically to ourselves....anything else was just gravy.

So my wife and I decided to head down and camp for a few nights along with both dogs. Full primitive of course. No electric/bathrooms/water etc (I'm sure I could have gotten water from the Camp Director...but that would be cheating). Temps were great (upper 70s/day 50s/night)...weather clear. It was sooooooo quiet at night due to the location and we had clear night skies for star gazing. Was able to even take the 4runner down some rutty service roads for a bit of offroad fun. It just felt good to be out again. Here's a couple of pics....one of our full primitive campsite setup and another showing a portion of the camp from a distance (I'm the white dot in the lower left of the pic). Hope everyone is doing well and is getting out there or making plans to do so. Happy camping!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hidden Falls 1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	71205Click image for larger version

Name:	hidden falls 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	71206
                    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Geodes; Ah yes, remember them from my early rockhounding years... after a while you learn to judge the good (hollow) ones from the solid ones by weight...
                      Used to be fun splitting them to see what you found (the sparkly crystals inside some were neat).

Thanx, for the memory jog...

Enjoy!
                      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Well, we finally got a chance to go camping for a few days....first outing of the year. We headed to Seneca Shadows in Monongahela National Forest, WV (adjacent to Seneca Rocks). Despite having to set up camp in a literal downpour, we had a great time. Saturday (arrival day) was very wet, so we retired early and got a good 14 hour sleep! It rained all night and Sunday was drizzly and misty, but it made for an almost magical hike around Spruce Knob (WV's highest mountain).

It cleared off Sunday night to an absolutely stunning night sky and I even managed to capture a lingering Perseid meteor with the camera.

Monday was sunny and dry which made for a great day of hiking to the top of Seneca Rocks, but surprised us that night with a shower about 2 AM (lasted about half an hour).

Tuesday was mixed clouds and sun so we headed out to Smoke Hole Canyon for some hiking around Big Bend (a loop made by the South Branch of the Potomac river).

Wednesday was again mixed clouds and sun (after a long lingering rain overnight that started in the wee hours), so we headed back to Spruce Knob to take in the views that were fogged out on the prior trip, along with a long hike into the back country. Sadly, Thursday we had to return home. My wife and I will definitely be coming back.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by caheaton; 08-23-2020, 06:49 PM.
                        Where we've camped so far (as an adult...many more when I was a kid :-)

Comment

Awesome pics! I didn't realize I was that close to views like that. I'm thinking 40+ years of pretty much limiting myself to two hour trips to western Maryland has to change.

Comment

Macgyver, it's definitely worth the trip. While we were at Smoke Hole Canyon, we saw more MD plates than any other state :-) . The campground at Big Bend is also appealing if you like to fish, paddle or "tube"...the river practically encircles the campground so people launch at one point, go around the circle and then take a short hike to get back to where they started. There's also a campground at Spruce Knob, but we didn't have a chance to check it out as our back country hike took longer than expected. We were hiking to an overlook and back and overshot the overlook by about 2 miles ;-) . Do be advised that the tent area of Seneca Shadows is in an open field and many sites lack privacy and can be close to other campers. The camping loops are wooded. We were in site 24 of B loop, but felt that 25 was probably a bit better. (Electric is only in loop C, all others no electric.) Our site was a bit close to the road so you could hear some road noise on workday mornings, but you also heard the constant white noise of the river which was pleasant, especially at night.
                            Where we've camped so far (as an adult...many more when I was a kid :-)

Comment

^ A nice heads up. Thank you!

Comment

Hey Fellow Campers!!!

I finally had the opportunity "get out there" and decided to go to one of my favorite IN campsites....lakeside at Starve Hollow Lake. I've stayed here many times before (generally once a year) and posted some previous trip pics earlier in this thread. It really is a nice spot to whittle the day away. It was a Sunday to Tuesday quick quick getaway....meaning uncrowded and quiet. It was also just me and my male Doberman, Jet. This was his third trip out (and first just with me)....and really his best trip yet. He stayed by me in camp (he was still tethered), didn't get twisted around "too" much stuff, didn't bark, and went down easily for bed in the tent. He was a great camper!

It was hot---touching the 90's in the afternoon (70's at night) with related high humidity and low wind. Decidedly not the best tent camping temps. I did have a fan and lots of water for both of us so we survived. Didn't catch any fish from my lakeside site....but didn't try very hard this trip. Not a drop of rain.

Jet and I ate well considering I didn't have the spouse's skills and/or "supervision". Of course I had coffee and OJ...and also my adult beverage of choice which took the edge off the heat...and of which I applied liberally and repeated. I cooked all my meals using 2 cast iron skillets (8 and 10) and the Pop Up Pit and Grill. Cheeseburgers/chips/baked beans (Dinner 1), Scrambled Eggs/Bacon/English Muffin (breakfast 1), pb&j (lunch), and Ribeye/Baked Potato/Green Beans (Dinner 2). Spiced Oatmeal with raisins and a Banana (breakfast 2) and a couple of Arby's roast beef sandwiches on the way home for late lunch 2 (ha!!). No Mountain House meals this trip for me!

Few pics: Camp after set-up, Morning View from my site, Popup Pit heating up, and Bacon!

Take care everyone! Hope you can get out there soon!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Starve Hollow 2.jpg
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	71220 Click image for larger version

Name:	Starve Hollow 1.jpg
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	71219 Click image for larger version

Name:	Starve Hollow 3.jpg
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	71221 Click image for larger version

Name:	Starve Hollow 4.jpg
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	71222
                                2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                                Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                                Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                                Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X