Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campsite Photos Everyone!

Originally posted by caheaton View Post
    Yes, I did have a good trip. Especially enjoyed hiking around Mt. Mitchell and the cool weather was a novelty for June .

Also, I edited my original post to include a bit of info I forgot to include but meant to, the most annoying part of Norris....the campers who decided it was a good time to chop firewood at 3:30 in the morning! (and they were chopping it not more than 30 feet or so from my tent :-( ). They were also the same campers who would walk their dog and let it do it's business in adjacent campsites, but never their own.....guess it takes all kinds.....
    I don't think I will ever understand that sort of self absorbed behavior.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

I cannot tell you how often I see and hear about that behavior. It seems to have stemmed from the idea that a dog must "be walked" everyday. People take their dog from their own property and walk it around the neighborhood to do its business on everyone else's property.

I remember one woman who was mad because everyday she would drive her dog to a nearby park. She would let the dog out of her car and let it pee on someone else's tree which was in the middle of their yard. The owner came out and told her to stop letting her dog pee on his tree. Her response was an indignant "but he has to pee". She couldn't seem to understand that if she had the dog pee on her own property BEFORE getting in the car, he would not need to pee on this guy's tree. She was being a good pet owner by taking her dog for a walk to do its business and no one could tell her otherwise.

I have never done that. My dogs do their business on my property. I do not take them for nightly walks - that is not necessary - They have a yard. When camping, they go for walks because I want to go walking not so they can do their business. If they go during the walk it is on the edge of the road or trail or away from campsites. And I pick it up. Otherwise, they do their business in my campsite.
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

We just returned from our fall camping trip. We spent a night in Devils Canyon campground outside Monticello, Utah. This was a quiet campground with great views.

We spent 3 days at Wahweap Campground at Lake Powell. This was the trashiest campground we have ever stayed in. There was trash everywhere. It was in the 100’s everyday, our site had a dead tree. There was plenty of sites with trees available I asked for a different site and was told no. We picked this campground because of the location. We went to the Grand Canyon and The Grand Staircase. We really enjoyed both.

Next time we will camp in the forest as recommended by Malamute and James. Being from Indiana we didn’t understand camping in the National Forest. A Ranger at the Grand Canyon explained it to us.

Click image for larger version

Name:	248D6D51-A630-4F1F-AFA8-D5B326853455.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	71160
        We left Lake Powell early and found Otter Creek State Park in Antimony, Utah. This was a nice campground with a great view of the lake.

Name:	42E5FCD5-AA44-478F-B5B9-2D884B02870F.jpg
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	71161

We spent the remainder of our trip at Capital Reef NP Fruita Campground. We really enjoyed staying here. The views were spectacular. We spent our time hiking and relaxing.

Comment

My wife and I just returned from 10 days at First Landing State Park in VA. I was a little concerned due to Hurricane Dorian grazing the park just a couple days prior to our arrival, but the park was closed the Saturday before our arrival (we arrived on Monday) and the park did a fine job cleaning things up and ensuring all was in working order. In fact, there was a nice bonus....plenty of firewood that could be collected from around the campground!

I was also concerned that low lying areas would be flooded and as a result bugs would be fierce...neither proved to be the case. In fact, while it was hot (highs around 80 and up, lows near 70 with humidity running 80% and up) it was very pleasant...mosquitoes were very minimal except when capturing a sunset photo adjacent to a marsh.

Our campsite was #116 and afforded excellent drainage (we did have one storm during the night while we were there, otherwise the weather was dry) and the small hill we were on caught the breeze. The park itself offers excellent hiking and a very pleasant beach located at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. The bathrooms and shower house were a bit lacking due to poor cleaning...little was done other than ensuring supplies were stocked.

The park itself abuts against Fort Story, which afforded some interesting entertainment....every morning they played the national anthem promptly at 8AM (which made for a handy wake up alarm ). Other times during the night they would engage in practice, which involved helicopters flying very low over the campground along with the sounds of jet aircraft...some people disliked the noise but it usually only lasted an hour or so and to me it was kinda neat....it felt like you were camping in a war zone! :mdr: During the day you would occasionally hear other random sounds, from the rapid fire of a large caliber machine gun to what sounded like tank rounds being fired. On other nights the only sounds that could be heard were the wind blowing through the trees and the sounds of night birds making their calls amidst the aroma of pine...

It was our first trip there and are already planning a return trip next year....

Name:	camp1.jpg
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	71165 Click image for larger version

Name:	VA camp.jpg
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	71166 Click image for larger version

Name:	P9120161.jpg
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	71167
          Last edited by caheaton; 09-20-2019, 09:03 PM.
          Where we've camped so far (as an adult...many more when I was a kid :-)

Comment

The Cat went on his first camping trip. This was with the FoldnRoll trailer. It was supposed to be a 6-1/2 hour drive or so. But on the way out, the trailer's passenger side tire blew. Completely shredded but no undercarriage damage. Had AAA come put the spare on. By then we were about 3 hours behind schedule (a friend came with us and had already put us behind over an hour). As the road out to the campground was narrow, windy, and subject to potholes, and I had no second spare, it was decided to find a place for the night and finish the drive in the morning.

We stopped at Standish-Hickey state park for the night. They let us share a campsite, so it was only $43 ($35 + $8 additional vehicle fee). Right off the highway so you heard the cars going by. But in the redwoods and pretty. Only a couple folks there.

The Cat took a walk and checked out some things. He enjoyed the ferns around the entrance kiosk. And really liked the rustic fencing. He says they need new equipment.

Name:	IMG_20190915_200915.jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	71168Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190916_110914.jpg
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	71169Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190916_110304.jpg
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	71170

Nice night for relaxing after a long day of driving. And the next morning he was up with the birds.

Name:	IMG_20190916_203316.jpg
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	71171Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190916_112401_hdr.jpg
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	71172

The Cat was very impressed with the resident raven. We didn't get a photo of him, but he was very polite to a little cat.

On Monday, we finally got on the road about 12:30. Now we had to find the road to Honeydew. Got turned around by mistake and when I got turned back, saw the friend heading back the wrong way. Waited and waited but she wasn't coming back. Finally decided to just continue on and hope she finds her way. Note: this is why I like having walkie talkies, but they only work if the other person keeps them turned on and listens.
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Way up over the mountain and then it's downhill. The Cat enjoyed the forest. Finally made it to the campground and got parked.

Name:	IMG_20190918_151549_hdr.jpg
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	71173

The Cat and the dogs enjoyed the lizard hunting.

Name:	IMG_20190918_150822.jpg
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	71174

Just past the log boundaries and over the sand dune was the ocean. The dogs loved the ocean. Poor Moose-dog kept getting soaked because his back legs couldn't hold out against the surf. Bat-dog finally found something her stomach couldn't handle - salt water - but not for lack of trying. Dog-bird enjoyed watching the seabirds. The Cat did NOT like the ocean. He said it was way too big, the waves way too high, and the beach way too open. He much preferred to stay in the campground.

Name:	IMG_20190919_153002_hdr.jpg
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	71175Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190919_124158_hdr.jpg
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	71176

On Wednesday, our friend left for home. We decided to stay til Friday. It rained on and off on Wednesday and early Thursday morning but we were all tucked in our beds nice and warm. Thursday afternoon the dogs and I went for a walk on the beach and when we returned, there was a visitor waiting for us. The dogs didn't even notice him - Bat-dog almost stepped on him. Fortunately, The Cat and Dog-bird were inside taking a nap.

Name:	IMG_20190919_145300.jpg
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	71177

I have a few photos of the ocean and closeups of the visitor on my real camera. Once I process them, I'll post them.

Comment

That last night, The Cat found a new friend.

Name:	IMG_20190919_195603.jpg
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	71178

He also found a nest of flying ants. They were tasty. A couple teen girls took his photo with the bug wing in his teeth - I'm sure he'll be all over FB. The next day, we got up and walked around the campground. The Cat was very popular with the other campers. Even Bat-dog was on her best behavior and made some acquaintences. Moose-dog made friends with everyone of course.

After a short nap, we packed up and headed out. Note: I love my "patent-pending no load hitch", but if you are hitching on an incline, it is impossible to drop it low enough to actually catch on the ball. Had to move it out and then re-hitch.

Once on the road, things went quickly. We made it to the crest of the mountain and then a clang and smoke. Stopped. One of the tow chains broke and the chain burned one of the no-load hitch tires flat. So, at the crest, I put the spare on. Then I ziptied the chain together. And off we went again. Fortunately, that was it for flat tires. The Durangos rear passenger tire has a very very slow leak but it held up for the 8 hour drive home (one hour was for the flat). The Cat and the dogs slept in the back all the way home.

Every morning The Cat slept until I got up around 8 am. Fixed his breakfast and mine, let the dogs out for their business. This morning at home? The Cat wanted breakfast at 5 am again...

I had gotten a lightweight nylon tether (15ft) for the cat. It worked great. The FnR has several eyebolts inside to attach bungee cords for holding clothes on the hangers. I used them for tethering. The dogs each on one set of eyebolts with 15ft tethers and The Cat on another closer to the door. It allows the dogs to get on their bottom bunk bed and go outside, and lets The Cat get on the upper bunk bed and go a bit further than the dogs - so he can get out of their reach if needed. The Cat loved being able to go in and out on his own. And he really liked having his own chair.

All in all, it was a great trip. The campground is BLM and while it doesn't have any privacy, it is really nice. No water. There is a bad algae in the river, so you have to treat before using it. My FnR tank lasted til Wednesday afternoon, then I used my 2-1/2 gallon water jugs. Need to get a funnel so I can refill the tank from them.

Only saw one person under about 23 - a cute blond about 2-1/2 or 3 who said "we're having fun". Folks tended to stay just a night or two and then continue on down the road. Lots of backpackers got dropped off at the trailhead to hike the Lost Coast. There was even a group of bicycle campers who stopped Wednesday night. Dogs were well-behaved. Few were on leashes, but other than the shepherd mixes, they didn't wander into campsites. The two shepherd mixes across the way from us were very friendly and kept visiting us. Fortunately Bat-dog liked them so no problems there. The beach was huge so plenty of space for everyone. Only 14 campsites there.

Comment

Hello Camping Friends!

Finally had a long weekend that combined open schedule and no rain, so I grabbed our gear and took off for Mississinewa Lake near Peru IN. This large flood control reservoir is located about an hour + from Indianapolis and as such...is about an hour from me. I've hiked here, but never camped. My camping crew consisted of 5 adults and 3 dogs, 2 SUVs, 3 tents, 2 coolers, the necessary gear, and a whole lot of firewood. Added bonus----it was my birthday over this camp trip (with presents!!!) I think this is the first time I've ever camped on my birthday.

About a month ago, we welcomed another Doberman puppy dog to our family. His name is Jet, he was 12 weeks at the time of this "first ever" camping trip. He did fabulous (no accidents in the crate/tent), loved the warmth from someone's lap and the campfire, didn't eat too many sticks, and was actually an ideal camper. Willa, our Dobie girldog, was the experienced camper she is and created no drama. I still find it funny that Willa will scratch at the tent door at night when she is ready to go to bed...even if all of us are still up.

Did some hiking, fishing (got a zero)....but mainly hung around in camp and puttered (especially since puppy really can't "hike" all that far yet).

We cooked everything over the fire (since we had it going morning and night). Probably the favorite was the Pie Iron pizza. They were delicious.

Temps were 60's during the day, 40's at night...no wind/clear skies. Truly great fall camping weather. We had an electric site so Jet stayed warm at night in our tent with a small heater. Not many pics of the campsite as I really didn't take many and instead spent the time remembering the memories rather than picturing the memories...but we got a few. It was a great way to kick off the quiet camping season.

Name:	72982861_10213997578403474_2556248574757175296_o.jpg
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	71187Click image for larger version

Name:	73168743_10213997580603529_8461774636198133760_o.jpg
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	71186Click image for larger version

Name:	72982477_10213997580963538_8791505176797118464_o.jpg
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	71188Click image for larger version

Name:	74585390_10213997602324072_3969269742576861184_o.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	71189Click image for larger version

Name:	73058006_10213997604004114_1739952016806903808_o.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	71190
                  2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                  Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                  Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                  Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

What on earth is this new security thing? As if I'm posting things on this forum that anyone, including the government, would see as a security risk? Please stop this. We're all good people here.

Comment

What are you talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by Joyous56 View Post
                        What on earth is this new security thing? As if I'm posting things on this forum that anyone, including the government, would see as a security risk? Please stop this. We're all good people here.
                        The only things that I see here are that;
                        "this site was prevented from loading cookies"
                        and "this page is trying to load scripts from unauthenticated sources"...

Nothing new as far as I can tell.

Enjoy!
                        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Well... something's going on with the site. Even after deleting cookies, cache and temp files, the site will not remember my login. And I don't know if it's related, but I've been getting strange redirects when going to common sites, most notably Amazon.

Edit: Anyone else getting an invalid redirect when logging in? This really has me wondering what's going on with the site.
                          Last edited by MacGyver; 11-04-2019, 12:29 AM.

Comment

... Perhaps its time to run some maintenance...
                            I run an antivirus + firewall along with Avast and Spyware Blaster at all times.
                            Daily I run ccleaner (piriform crapcleaner).
                            If I get undesirable things happening after cleaning and antivirus sweeps; I first check the mouse (cord and buttons).
                            If I still have issues I try a different computer... If the problem persists with the second (fresh) computer it is likely NOT the first computer.
                            If I were to get redirects, on the first computer and even Malwarebytes could find nothing; I would seriously consider restoring the computer to its last known good restore point (hopefully new restore points and backups are done regularly) . If that did not work and I had problems on multiple sites; I would consider wiping and reloading the operationg system (although reapplying the updates is now a major pain with W7 ult. ... (Note W7 update support ends in mid January I believe).

Note; even Microsoft now recommends not to use Internet Explorer as a browser (Google chrome and/or Mozilla Firefox are OK).

Enjoy!
                            Last edited by Happy Joe; 11-04-2019, 09:31 AM.
                            2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                            Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                              Well... something's going on with the site. Even after deleting cookies, cache and temp files, the site will not remember my login. And I don't know if it's related, but I've been getting strange redirects when going to common sites, most notably Amazon.

Edit: Anyone else getting an invalid redirect when logging in? This really has me wondering what's going on with the site.
                              I usually check in on my tablet. When I pull up the forum, it shows as I'm not logged in, but I am and can post immediately.

I haven't had any problems with this website. No errors or issues.

Comment

No issues here.
                                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                                – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                                X