Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campsite Photos Everyone!

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
    It's always easier getting a vehicle with more space...
    For normal people, yeah. But, if you're an idiot like me you move from a Dodge Dakota to a full-size RAM and decide to slam your credit card to buy a bunch of backpacking gear so everything fits inside the cab. So now it's new Tetris games with packing the cases, not so much fitting them in the truck.

Comment

I love my longbed. Everything I want to take fits in the bed with a ton of extra room. The only things that go in the cab are the fragile things like the lantern and stuff I don't want to get all dusty. If it looks like rain I have a tarp an elastic cargo not. Tarp keeps things dry and the net holds the tarp in place.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

For me; a short wheelbase vehicle is preferable (102" for the, overlarge, 2 door, Explorer, 84.5" on the TJ). Primarily because I would much rather have maneuverability on the off road trails, and crowded parking lots..

When the stuff no longer fits; its just time to dial it back some... (the dome tent is a better/easier fit in the TJ but the standing room tent is fine in the EX.
        Due to the limitations of the IFS, as well as the limited approach, departure and break over angles, the Explorer never gets far into the fun country/terrain.

Click image for larger version

Name:	camp LD 2018 50 DSCF0313.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	71071Click image for larger version

Name:	Camp LD 2017DSCF0282.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	71072

Edit: the Ford Ranger 2wd minipickup has been camping but it is so helpless off road that it is mostly relegated to in town hauling.

Enjoy!
        Last edited by Happy Joe; 09-09-2018, 11:16 AM.
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Hello Fellow Campers!

I was able to get a long weekend and the wife and I got back out there (sans the son and Willa-dog) at Brown County State Park. It is the largest of Indiana's state parks, at just under 16,000 acres. It is also the most visited. The park is often referred to as the Little Smoky Mountains...as it has steep forested rugged terrain and is popular with the leaf peepers in the fall. It is also located close to Nashville, IN....a nice town with artist shops, restaurants, etc. The park has over 20 miles of hiking trails, 27 miles of mountain bike trails, and 70 miles of bridle trails....it is a great place for outdoor activities. The campgrounds consist of 3 separate campgrounds with a total 401 electric sites (28 primitive). Each "campground" essentially follows a ridgeline with a single roadway out and back. We camped in/on the Taylor Ridge Campground.

Our site was large and off a gravel spur off the main campground road (which meant no noise off the main access road). Since we were on a outshoot on the ridge, we also had no neighbors on any side. Really an excellent site (probably the best this year for privacy). The campgrounds, the park, the facilities, activities, nature center, and the Inn are all top notch (we've stayed at this Inn and it's nice). This really is one of the jewels of Indiana's park system.

Great temps (mid 80's day, mid 60's night). No rain. Mostly sunny skies. No wind.

Hiked way too much. Relaxed. Played Yahtzee-lost more than I won. Ate adult food --- Homemade spaghetti/meat sauce, ribeyes/baked potato/baked beans, eggs/sausage....the menu worked out nicely this trip.

Some pics of our campsite, a hiking overlook, and a pic of a large "Walking Stick" insect...which decided to hang out on the edge of the Coleman propane stove last night.

Til next time....Hope to see you all get out there!!!!

Name:	41849352_10211524175649951_4409909885085417472_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	71075Click image for larger version

Name:	41829534_10211524179450046_3449188562111561728_o.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	71076Click image for larger version

Name:	41924876_10211524160929583_1896530345277259776_o.jpg
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	71077Click image for larger version

Name:	41959080_10211524168209765_4356434497118404608_o.jpg
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	71078Click image for larger version

Name:	41856504_10211524189450296_8553480283981086720_o.jpg
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	71079
          2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
          Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
          Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
          Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I'm quitting my job and moving to Indiana. Even if I quit my job and stayed here, the weather wouldn't let me get out as much as you do.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
              I'm quitting my job and moving to Indiana. Even if I quit my job and stayed here, the weather wouldn't let me get out as much as you do.
              Ha! I really should purchase lottery tickets, bet on football, take up poker....because I've had really decent weather all this year considering most all of my spring/summer trips/weekends were planned/reserved out 4-6 months ago. I've had an overall great camp season weather wise so far 2018. Cold winter trips without much/any snow (kind of a bummer tho). A rained out spring trip (rain the week leading up to camp and predicted rain all weekend---cancelled). Summer trips---Hot humid temps as expected....no rain at all...somewhat unexpected. Only temps that were unusual were during my trip to the Dunes. It never got out of the 70's....in late July....slight bummer because it was my big "beach" trip. Overall...tho...really good stuff.

We'll see what the last calendar quarter holds (which is really my favorite time of year to go as it will thin out the crowds and all sites go to "walk in only" status after Halloween). I always find it's easier to book weekends way way ahead and force myself to go that weekend and plan to be gone that weekend (cause...well, sorry, I have a camp trip this weekend), rather than trying to arrange and "find time" to go on the fly. There is always something else I could be doing. But the weekends just disappear if I don't book some camp time in throughout the year well ahead of time. The downside to pre-booking is the weather....I have a general sense of what to expect...but one just never knows.
              Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
              Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
              Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

The weather finally cooperated. We're something like 22 inches over the average for rainfall in September but we finally had a clear weekend. So, I jumped out to western Maryland for a weekend sanity saver and a trial run with some new gear. I discovered something very important. When you make comprehensive lists of what to take, always make sure you actually take it. Turns out I'd left my cot (the one I bought specifically to fit inside the large case), a kettle, a bowl, a mug and extra pants. But, on the other hand, I had 3 sweatshirts that I didn't need and enough dehydrated food for a 2 week trip.

But, all in all, it was great to get away. Drove 40 miles to WalMart to get an extra pad under my Thermarest and made do with the cookware that I did bring. The best part was that I did manage to do what I set out to do - everything I took fit inside the cab of the truck - nothing but some firewood in the bed. Now I can pack up the night before and not have to worry about some idiot deciding they want my stuff more than I do. (Someday I might actually live where that's not an issue.) Now looking forward to my gang's annual long weekend trip in a few weeks!

Water carrier forgot to show up for the photo op.

Last edited by MacGyver; 09-30-2018, 09:33 PM.

Comment

No shell on your truck?

Comment

Originally posted by Malamute View Post
                    No shell on your truck?
                    I've kicked around the idea of a shell for years. I always put that out of my head when I think about hauling junk for some extra money. The first time someone wants a refrigerator hauled away, I'm outta luck. If I had a garage or the room for some kind of hoist I could do it, but I don't have that option where I am right now.
                    Last edited by MacGyver; 10-01-2018, 06:39 PM.

Comment

We finally got out last week. We originally was to go to visit our daughter in Raleigh, NC and then go to Mount Pisgah National Forest outside Asheville, NC but Florence changed our plans. We decided to head west. We decided to just take our time and stop and see any of the sites that seemed interesting on the way. We ended up back in one our favorite places, Hermit Park about 15 minutes from Estes Park, CO.

The sites at Hermit Park feel private and several are a nice size. There are very clean vault toilets. Because of the time of year we were there there was almost no other campers. The views are spectacular. There are great hiking trails from easy to difficult with great views of the Rocky Mountains. We could see Twin Sister Peak from our campsite. We had rain the first day but with these views I could put up with some drizzle. Unfortunately the second night it got down into the low 30's and it was to get colder the 3rd night so we left a day early.

Name:	IMG_0189.jpg
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	71094Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0034 (1).jpg
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	71095Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0031.jpg
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	71096Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0036.jpg
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	71093

On the way home we found this great site at Lake Shawnee Topeka, KS. It is a city park with clean showers. They don't have many tent sites but because we can sleep in the minivan we were able to get a RV sight on the lake.

Name:	IMG_0044.jpg
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	71097

Comment

I am a jealous that you’re able to condense. We always end up taking more then we need. I like those cases, they seem to be more straight on the sides and easier to stack.

Comment

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post
                          I am a jealous that you’re able to condense. We always end up taking more then we need. I like those cases, they seem to be more straight on the sides and easier to stack.
                          Aside from figuring what to take and what to leave home, condensing, at least how I managed it, mostly just costs money because backpacking gear always seems to cost more. As an example, Hilleberg makes ultra high end tents and tarps and it always makes me wonder why the tarp I've been looking at is $35 cheaper than it's lighter weight counterpart. Going lighter and smaller sacrifices a bit of durability. The chair, the tables and cot I now use don't exactly have to be babied, but they're definitely not as durable as what they replaced. That sacrifice might not work for everyone. As for the Pelican cases, they do waste a little bit of space with the flanges they use to accommodate the gaskets and ribs that add to their strength. I have bins with straighter sides that stack infinitely better, taking up less space, but they're nowhere near as durable or waterproof. Bottom line? There always seems to be something you have to give up to get what's most important to you. (Until the next great thing comes along LOL)
                          Last edited by MacGyver; 10-06-2018, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                            The weather finally cooperated. We're something like 22 inches over the average for rainfall in September but we finally had a clear weekend. So, I jumped out to western Maryland for a weekend sanity saver and a trial run with some new gear. I discovered something very important. When you make comprehensive lists of what to take, always make sure you actually take it. Turns out I'd left my cot (the one I bought specifically to fit inside the large case), a kettle, a bowl, a mug and extra pants. But, on the other hand, I had 3 sweatshirts that I didn't need and enough dehydrated food for a 2 week trip.

But, all in all, it was great to get away. Drove 40 miles to WalMart to get an extra pad under my Thermarest and made do with the cookware that I did bring. The best part was that I did manage to do what I set out to do - everything I took fit inside the cab of the truck - nothing but some firewood in the bed. Now I can pack up the night before and not have to worry about some idiot deciding they want my stuff more than I do. (Someday I might actually live where that's not an issue.) Now looking forward to my gang's annual long weekend trip in a few weeks!

Water carrier forgot to show up for the photo op.

Sorry I haven't commented here. October is my craziest work month.

Great looking campsite Mac! I should take a pic like this also. It would be interesting pic. I usually unload as I set up. Please note...most of my trips are 2P + DobieDog so I'm going to have a bigger "pile". lol.

I do have one question: Why so much wood on the fire at once?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post
                              We finally got out last week. We originally was to go to visit our daughter in Raleigh, NC and then go to Mount Pisgah National Forest outside Asheville, NC but Florence changed our plans. We decided to head west. We decided to just take our time and stop and see any of the sites that seemed interesting on the way. We ended up back in one our favorite places, Hermit Park about 15 minutes from Estes Park, CO.

The sites at Hermit Park feel private and several are a nice size. There are very clean vault toilets. Because of the time of year we were there there was almost no other campers. The views are spectacular. There are great hiking trails from easy to difficult with great views of the Rocky Mountains. We could see Twin Sister Peak from our campsite. We had rain the first day but with these views I could put up with some drizzle. Unfortunately the second night it got down into the low 30's and it was to get colder the 3rd night so we left a day early.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6468[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6469[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6470[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6467[/ATTACH]

On the way home we found this great site at Lake Shawnee Topeka, KS. It is a city park with clean showers. They don't have many tent sites but because we can sleep in the minivan we were able to get a RV sight on the lake.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6471[/ATTACH]

Wow! What a turn of plans! It looks and sounds like plan "B" worked out really well. Great scenery/views. Rainbow on pic 3-nice! View/relaxation factor on pic 4. I'm glad you were able to get out there. Thank you for sharing your trip details and locations.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                                Sorry I haven't commented here. October is my craziest work month.

Great looking campsite Mac! I should take a pic like this also. It would be interesting pic. I usually unload as I set up. Please note...most of my trips are 2P + DobieDog so I'm going to have a bigger "pile". lol.

I do have one question: Why so much wood on the fire at once?
                                Thanks, Hoosier. Yeah - you should be sorry for having a life outside of an online forum. LOL And, yes, you should do a pic like that. As for the wood, a lot of it was still damp because it had been sitting in the back of my truck instead of under cover. Then again, I've been known to build lazy fires like that anyway, especially on solo trips. Spread it all around the ring, push it in as needed

Comment

Working...
                                X