Campsite Photos Everyone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campsite Photos Everyone!

Thank you for sharing. This is my first post, but since I'm in Louisville, this campground is close enough for me to visit so I had to respond.

Comment

Add me to the jealous list! Looks like an awesome trip and what a lovely spot! We are expecting 8-12 inches of snow today, so I am going to live vicariously through your pics for a while! LOL!
      Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
        This is definitely one of my favorite times of the year to get out. Most people are tired of the cold and still hibernating, so the parks are relatively empty. Nice to at least see someone make use of their gear while mine's collecting dust. Yeah - I'm jealous. :p
        This has been a poor winter (and spring so far) for camping unless one enjoys mud puddles and prolonged tent cuddles. Very wet and cold...just not cold enough for much snow. I'd rather have frozen ground than mud. Yea, this last trip for me was unexpected. Had a window of opportunity with zero rain and took it. We purposely went to Prophetstown because with all the rain during the week, I knew those sites drain/dry quick. Now's been another 3 weekends (and during the week) with off and on cold rain/snow seemingly every other day (south of Indy got 10" of snow a week ago---more than all season long).

Long range forecast shows cold/windy/rain the next 2 weekends. I am running out of easy, "walk-in", "nearly empty", pick whatever spot you want, camping time. The masses begin arriving in a month or so. Reservations required. Heat and bugs to follow. Sigh. I need to move where the National and State forests are more plentiful....outfit the 4runner...and go explore more.
        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
          This has been a poor winter (and spring so far) for camping unless one enjoys mud puddles and prolonged tent cuddles. Very wet and cold...just not cold enough for much snow. I'd rather have frozen ground than mud. Yea, this last trip for me was unexpected. Had a window of opportunity with zero rain and took it. We purposely went to Prophetstown because with all the rain during the week, I knew those sites drain/dry quick. Now's been another 3 weekends (and during the week) with off and on cold rain/snow seemingly every other day (south of Indy got 10" of snow a week ago---more than all season long).

Long range forecast shows cold/windy/rain the next 2 weekends. I am running out of easy, "walk-in", "nearly empty", pick whatever spot you want, camping time. The masses begin arriving in a month or so. Reservations required. Heat and bugs to follow. Sigh. I need to move where the National and State forests are more plentiful....outfit the 4runner...and go explore more.
          I don't think I would be able to survive there. Plenty of dispersed camping in AZ. I have never stayed at a paid campsite....not as an adult anyway.
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

I have the Pahaqua 10 X 10 shelter with three side panels. Use it to cook in and sit under when staying a week. Really needs two people to set up so granddaughter has to go with me as she is good help. I have the waterproof cover so the rain doesn't come in through the roof. Good set up there!

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
              I don't think I would be able to survive there. Plenty of dispersed camping in AZ. I have never stayed at a paid campsite....not as an adult anyway.
              I really envy those of you out west (you know who you are) that have easily accessible dispersed camping. East of the Miss river, it's more difficult to find dispersed camping (there's just less National/State forest/land). Add in the population vs the amount of national/state land available...and it's very difficult sometimes to find the few actual dispersed campsite areas "unoccupied" (then you are stuck with a loaded vehicle and no where to camp). I'd guess many of the forum folks on the East side can probably relate to this to a certain degree (and you know who you are). In summer...no reservation, no spot.

That's why I've really moved hard to 4 season camping as it allows me to "experience" more private camping considering my general area and it's limits during the busy season.

I do need to start thinking about a long trip out west.
              Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
              Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
              Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I really envy those of you out west (you know who you are) that have easily accessible dispersed camping. East of the Miss river, it's more difficult to find dispersed camping (there's just less National/State forest/land). Add in the population vs the amount of national/state land available...and it's very difficult sometimes to find the few actual dispersed campsite areas "unoccupied" (then you are stuck with a loaded vehicle and no where to camp). I'd guess many of the forum folks on the East side can probably relate to this to a certain degree (and you know who you are). In summer...no reservation, no spot.

That's why I've really moved hard to 4 season camping as it allows me to "experience" more private camping considering my general area and it's limits during the busy season.

I do need to start thinking about a long trip out west.
                I know what you mean. On one of my last trips I showed up to the spot I had planned on staying at and someone was there. I had to drive for an hour to my second choice. (I mean, sure, I must have passed a hundred spots between but still)
                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                – E. B. White

Comment

East of the Miss river, it's more difficult to find dispersed camping (there's just less National/State forest/land).
                  You got that right. The nearest National Park from me is twice as far away as where I always go. It's a shame they won't allow dispersed camping in some of the State Parks here in Maryland. I've seen plenty of places I'd like to pitch a small tent and get away from the evil humans for a while. But, just like everything else in this godforsaken state, everything's got to be overly regulated.
                  Last edited by MacGyver; 04-11-2018, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Wow I feel lucky cherokee national forest and jefferson national forest with in walking distance from my house,you guys come on down to northeast tennessee,southwest Virginia lots of good free camping.

Comment

It was late Thursday night last week when I decided I was disgusted enough with humans to want to ignore 'em for a couple of days and catch up on some sleep. Managed to pare down the gear enough that just about everything fit inside the cab of the pickup... Friday morning I loaded the cooler, threw it in the back and drove to work a half day and take off for Western MD. Adding to the disgust, I got a reminder of why I usually take Friday off to go camping. The usual just under 2 hour drive took 3-1/2 hours. BUT - I finally got there and, maybe not surprisingly, about a third of the sites were closed due to flood damage from the major storms we'd been having - including the one that destroyed historic Ellicott City, MD for the second time in two years. The park borders on the Potomac River and probably half a dozen feeder creeks and is prone to flooding in major storms. Of the sites that were left, half of those were already taken. That forced me to go find a site in an area I haven't seen in years. It was great - even with the heat approaching 90° I found a nice shady spot that was nowhere near anyone else. The addition of a 220mm computer fan in the tent to keep the air flowing was definitely a good idea! It was a weekend of sleep, eat, play with the fire, sleep, watch a movie or two on the tablet, eat and sleep some more.

Last edited by MacGyver; 06-19-2018, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Mac - Nice campsite pic. Sounds like a great getaway---light and easy packing---and lots of free time. It's nice to see you getting out in the hot summer months. I haven't been out camping for 2 months---just got back from a family vacation in a cabin close to Smoky Mtn Nat'l Park (I tried like crazy last year to get the family to tent camp in the park instead and allow me to make campground reservations for this summer---they just weren't biting on the idea).

I'll be back out camping right after July 4th for a few nights at Lincoln State Park in SW Indiana. Haven't been there since I was a kid. While there, I'm taking my son and his friend to Holiday World/Splashing Safari (amusement and water park) to beat the heat during the day. After that trip, I'll be camping every few weeks until the end of Sept.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                          It was late Thursday night last week when I decided I was disgusted enough with humans to want to ignore 'em for a couple of days and catch up on some sleep. Managed to pare down the gear enough that just about everything fit inside the cab of the pickup... Friday morning I loaded the cooler, threw it in the back and drove to work a half day and take off for Western MD. Adding to the disgust, I got a reminder of why I usually take Friday off to go camping. The usual just under 2 hour drive took 3-1/2 hours. BUT - I finally got there and, maybe not surprisingly, about a third of the sites were closed due to flood damage from the major storms we'd been having - including the one that destroyed historic Ellicott City, MD for the second time in two years. The park borders on the Potomac River and probably half a dozen feeder creeks and is prone to flooding in major storms. Of the sites that were left, half of those were already taken. That forced me to go find a site in an area I haven't seen in years. It was great - even with the heat approaching 90° I found a nice shady spot that was nowhere near anyone else. The addition of a 220mm computer fan in the tent to keep the air flowing was definitely a good idea! It was a weekend of sleep, eat, play with the fire, sleep, watch a movie or two on the tablet, eat and sleep some more.

I have often wondered about those small fans. Do they really work that well?
                          – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                            I have often wondered about those small fans. Do they really work that well?
                            I have a few size PC fans and they all do what I need. The large, slow RPM fans for a light breeze and smaller, higher RPM fans for kicking up some serious air. The real beauty is that they all draw way less amps - almost negligible - than traditional 12 volt fans, are a lot quieter and take up way less space in the boxes. I don't know how well they would do in a large camper, but for a tent, they serve me well.

Comment

Hey fellow campers!!!

Was able to finally get back "out there" after a couple of months of no camping where a variety of factors (non-camping vacation, bad weather weekends, and/or other commits) conspired against a camping trip. It was finally a "good to go" planned trip.

This trip was a visit to Lincoln State Park in Lincoln City IN. As one might probably tell from the name, this area in far southwestern Indiana is where Abe Lincoln spent his boyhood years. The almost 1,800 acre forested park has 2 lakes (swimming/canoeing/fishing/etc), 10 miles of trails, nature center, and 269 campsites in 3 separate campgrounds (electric/non/primitive). There is a memorial to Abe, a live action outdoor theater with actors highlighting important moments in Abe's life, and his sister is buried at a cemetery on park grounds (she died during childbirth and is buried holding her baby). Very nice park---I haven't been here since my pre-teen years so even though I recognized much, it still had a new feeling about it.

During the first 3 days/nights of the trip, the temps were mid 90's and lows at night were mid 70's with consistent oppressive humidity and no breeze (heat index well over 100---standard summer camp weather here in IN. blah!). Set-up was a sweaty affair-lol. I was glad I had reserved an electric camp site which allowed fans for each of 3 tents and a large fan for the common area under the tarp (sorry Mac...no pc fans for me on this trip...I went with high horsepower since it was available and I had space-lol). Thankfully...during the last 2 days/nights of our trip the temps dropped down 10-15 degrees on avg with drier air which improved the comfort factor greatly. Only about 10% of the campsites had tents sited on them.....better than expected considering the heat. Campground was full (July 4th "week"). Also surprisingly, it was a quiet (relatively) campground considering the time of the year (of course, the heat discouraged much activity).

5 miles from the state park is Holiday World/Slashing Safari, located in Santa Claus IN. It's a large amusement and waterpark combo. We spent the entire day here on one of the mid 90 days. Clean, well maintained. Unique to this park are the free soft drinks (also non-carb'd bevs) and the free sunscreen offered throughout the park. This is a good value park as I know we saved some $$$ by heavily utilizing these in the heat for 6 people over the 11 hours we were there. We had a fantastic time here and I highly recommend.

One other item I noticed: The movie night set-up is gaining popularity in the family electric/RV campgrounds (lol...didn't see this in the nonelectric or primitive campground loops). There were some very large screens (king sized sheets?). On our nightly walk...we counted 7 (seven!!!!!) different "movie" set-ups, including one that had it all set up like a theater, including matching chairs, a popcorn maker and led lights/sound system. One can see the trend building and the one up-man-ship occurring----"my screen is bigger and has better clarity with such and such sound". lololololol. I was happy that our section of the electric campground had several tents on the sites and the others were occupied by mostly smaller pop-ups and shorter hard sides. We had a tent on one side of us and a young family camping out of a VW van on the other.

I took out the Marmot Limestone 6p and 4p and a Marmot Tungsten 3p for 6 adults and a large dog. Used the Noah 16 tarp per usual (one of these trips I'll try the Noah 20). Willa dog did great camping/hiking again. Most of her activities....like mine...occurred in the am and late pm. She slept in the Holidog Inn at the amusement/waterpark (a large a/c'd kennel). $20 for 11 hours of open park time---which I thought was pretty decent as it brought us peace of mind and allowed her to join us for the trip---and she got a day of a/c. We visited/walked her often and brought her fav toys and some special food as a treat. She was great. Some campsite pics and a shot of my son/friend canoeing fishing on Lake Lincoln:
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by a65hoosier; 07-08-2018, 09:12 AM.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks a65hoosier for another informative post. I really enjoy reading your post about Indiana our campgrounds.

Comment

Working...
                                X