Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campsite Photos Everyone!

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
    SBinTN - Love the Jeep and I read your other post regarding the tarp hanging. It wouldn't be camping without applying some creative thought and manuevering during set-up! And don't worry...I could tell immediately that you were getting rain (despite the sun in the pic) because everything is under cover/shelter. Been there.....lol. Glad you had great time!
    Thanks! I love the jeep, too, but it takes some creative packing to load it up. It's like playing Jenga when I'm unloading. Rain kept coming and going while we were there. Thankfully, the day I took this pic it stayed dry the whole day, which was nice because that was the family reunion picnic day. But I've been caught out in the rain enough that whenever I leave my camp, I always pack everything away just in case it does rain.

Comment

gmann, that's quite a tent you have there! Love the pics - looks like a great time was had by all. Love the pics!

Comment

Day hike from my camping trip last week:

http://youtu.be/oAPhkJJR8qo

And, the glampsite:

http://youtu.be/X8VUQ_zUBLE

Comment

Love the vids hwc1954! Thanks so much for sharing them! I just think that whole area is so gorgeous and really, really want to do some camping there someday. Hubby and I honeymooned up there and I've been itching to go back since.
          Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Great hike photos/vid hwc1954. Really impressive views at the top...esp the shot at the 5:00 min mark. I envy those of you that have mountainous terrain to hike regularly. Beautiful.
            2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
            Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
            Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
            Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

That reminds me, on our way home last weekend, there was a bridge out on our route home, so got detoured to Rte 17 that goes over the Appalachian Gap here in VT. This is a hell of a road to begin with (closed in winter), say much less for doing it with a car loaded with mucho camping gear and two overtired little ones in the back seat. The detour all but doubled our travel time home, but we got to through the Green Mountain National Forest not once, but twice, and had this view when we stopped at the top of Rte 17 for a break:

It was a incredibly beautiful drive, I hadn't been that way in years and I saw many places I'd like to go back to and check out with the fam!
              Last edited by Shortpants; 08-16-2014, 05:10 AM.
              Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Originally posted by SBinTN View Post
                Gorgeous! I would love to go camping up there, but I have a 10 hour driving limit and that only gets me as far as central PA (if I head north). I don't even want to think about how long it would take to get to VT from east TN.
                I'm guessing 18-20+/- hours, just a smidge more than 10 hours. LOL! We've had a really nice summer this year too, just a few days of 85-90 degrees in July, otherwise 70's to 80's with 50's to 60's at night. Ahhhh, love the cooler temps! This August has been strange so far though, normally our hottest month, it's been consistent mid-high 70's and 50's at night. Great camping weather!

Comment

Here are some photos of the Mighty Lizard Hunters during a couple camping trips.

They have spotted their prey (Union Reservoir, Ca):
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	The Last Stand.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	69929

Their prey has spotted them (he's standing on that small rock in front of Moose-dog and Bat-dog in the above photo):

Name:	The Last Stand2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	69926

And here is Union Reservoir:

Name:	blue and bluenew.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	69930:

Moose-dog and Bat-dog hunting for lizards in the wrong place. This is Gold Lake in the Lakes Basin area, Ca:

Name:	fishing.jpg
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	69928

And the traditional tourist photo taken at Frazier Falls (Plumas NF, Ca):

Name:	tourists.jpg
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	69927
                  “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

And here is Union Reservoir at night:

Name:	starry starry night small.jpg
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	69933

Hayfork creek, this is right at the base of my campsite (of which I cannot find the photo):

Name:	the falls redev.jpg
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	69931

This is Gold Lake (the lake in which the dogs are wading in the prior post):

Name:	sunset.jpg
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	69935

This is the waterfall a short drive and hike away from Union Reservoir:

Name:	light within.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	69934

And the view from my campsite at Union Reservoir:

Name:	skyward.jpg
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	69932
                    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I don't post much, but these pics are from our last camping trip. When it's the wife and I we don't set up so much, but with company and spotty weather all soft gear came out.

Comment

shortpants:

Here's another one. Last week's hike up Falling Waters Trail to the summit of Little Haystack Mountain on Franconia Ridge. This aptly-named trail leaves from Lafayette Place Campground in Franconia Notch State Park. Elevation gain of 3200 feet in 3.2 miles. it's a pretty easy/moderate 1.5 miles to the big waterfall where people are rapelling in the video. Great family hike to that point. From there, it is just a long slow slog up the hill. The downhill just about killed my thighs. I couldn't walk for 2 days, but wow was it spectacular.

http://youtu.be/xXWZO43tl6w

Comment

Awesome hwc1954! Lafayette Place is on my "must go" list as it is, now seeing Falling Waters Trail it just jumped to the top of the list! It really is gorgeous there and there seem to be quite a few easy hikes for younger kids. I used to have a nice Kelty kid carrier backpack, but made the bad decision to loan it to a friend and have never seen it again. Bummer! I LOVED that backpack for hiking with DD#1, it made hiking with little ones SO much easier. Thanks again for the videos, I now know the first place I'm planning on heading with the "Pants" crew next season!

Comment

First time in the new tent. The weather forecast was calling for rain so we thought we would have a chance to test the tent. We went to Chain-O-Lakes state park and of there was not a drop of rain, we had great weather, warm days and cool nights. I am still not sure I like this tent. I really wanted a Mountain Smith, but I let my husband decide and this tent should work well for our purpose

This is our kitchen area. My husbands idea to use the beach umbrella instead of the canopy for week end trips. We waterproofed and seam sealed it, then it rained hard the first week-end we used it and it kept that small area dry. We can move it to the end of the table to fit our chairs under. We also have a couple of shower curtains to put up for extra shade and blowing rain. I have my paper towels hanging from the middle and I use it to hang my dish towels and sinks to dry.

Comment

Denni2 - We love Chain O Lakes SP! It was one of my first camp trips with my gf (now wife) over 25 years ago. Good calamities...good memories. lol-we were new and made almost every mistake one could make. Been there a few more times in between to tent camp, canoe, and fish. Good large tent sites as I recall.

You mentioned you are not sure you like the new tent. Looks like a LLBean Big Pine? Wanna give us a quick rundown of likes/dislikes/not sures?
                              2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                              Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                              Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                              Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

The tent is a LLBean King Pine 4. We are planning to take annual fall trips across the country. My original plan was a smaller 4 person dome tent that would be easy to set up and take down for overnight trips. We have a Coleman 6 person tent also. My husband asked for a tent we could stand in so that limited the selections. After spending a couple of trips with biting flies and mosquitoes and feeling trapped in our current screen tent, the screen room on the LLBean tent should be a nice place to sit without having to set up another tent.

Likes- The King Pine seems to be really well made. The tent was easy to set up. There are pockets along both sides of the tent and places to connect a gear loft. We like having 2 doors and the vestibule. The screen area is also nice for leaving shoes and putting the items we want to keep dry. We also used it for a private area to wash up. We haven’t used it in the rain so I am not if water will come in the screen room even though we have the footprint. The poles are fiberglass but very heavy duty. We like the full coverage rain fly and hope the tent will be a little warmer in the fall because of less netting in the tent area. When you open all the doors it seems to have plenty of air movement. We use Thermarest Trail Pro mattresses so there is plenty of room for gear although not enough for the dogs Kennel to be comfortable.

Not sure- I am not sure I am okay there is no floor in the screen room. We had a lot of flying ants come in the screen room and swarm the top of the tent one night. This tent will only be used on trips we don’t plan to take the dog. So most of the time once a year.

I think the reason I am not sure is I really wanted a smaller tent. So we purchased a Mountain Smith Morrison 2 to use for overnight stops while traveling and this tent when we reach our destination.

Comment

Working...
                                X