Camping Southern Pennsylvania near AP Trail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping Southern Pennsylvania near AP Trail

I thought I would share a few of our March 21 through 24 camping trip. Only a few photos had been taken, some from Cell phone and a few from small camera. The AP trail is about 1500 feet up the hill from are camp. We can hear when hikers are coming through. One evening right at dark I did do a big foot call that I picked up from that Big Foot Hunter TV Show knowing the AP trail has a shelter not too far from us. I know I should not have done this but it was fun for us to talk about what we think they (hikers staying the night in the area) might be thinking. We talked about it for a few hours.

Here are the pic’s

Just got the big tent set up and everything else is on the ground next to that tree.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120321_145326.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	72509
    The AP trail

Name:	IMG_20120322_100352.jpg
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	72510
    Pic from the AP trail

Name:	IMG_20120322_100431.jpg
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	72511
    On top of the hill from the AP trail. Where I am from (N.E. PA.) we call it a hill not a mountain.

Name:	IMG_20120322_101933.jpg
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	72507
    Camp

Name:	DSCF0541.jpg
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	72508
    Had a great time with the only downfall was we could not have a fire due to a high forest fire danger. We did not see any Animals except for a chipmunk. Could see and hear all types of birds around us. I was on the AP trail and met a hiker who was asking if we seen or heard any turkeys yet. He had not. But I climbed up to the top of the hill just after talking to him and spooked out a turkey that then flew down over and along the AP trail. I think he got to see his turkey.

Re: Camping Southern Pennsylvania near AP Trail

Where exactly is this? 'Cus I'm not too far from SE PA; looks like a place I'd like to visit.
    Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

I have GPS waypoints for are Camp and For the Pitcher from the top of the hill. Just remember hand held GPS are off by something like 10 feet. I also have what Google earth gives and they are different.

Top of hill photo
      GARMAN = N 39* 51.913 W 077* 30.222
      GOOGLE EARTH = 39* 51’ 54.85”N 77* 30’ 13.35”W

Camp
      GARMAN = N 39* 51.767 W 077*30.574
      GOOGLE EARTH = 39* 51’ 46.07”N 77* 30’ 34.45”W

The AP Trail is West from the top of the hill. I didn’t take readings for the trail. But it is on Rocky Mtn. East of Mont Alto, PA. Are camp was just off of Kettle Spring Rd. in Michaux State Forest
      Last edited by Nickadeamus; 04-03-2012, 06:45 PM.

Comment

sorry about that. I had put the wrong GPS for Top of hill but I fixed it

Comment

Thank you! So this was dispersed camping in Michaux?
          Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

The pics need someone in it to be more interesting.
            I've no house in the city, just a camping tent in the wild.

Comment

Your images are great! Thanks for sharing these!
              Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
              Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

GlitterHiker, Yes it is dispersed camping in Michaux

Zack, there is a person in the last pick sitting in the camp chair. I know it is hard to see him though.

I also want to thank anyone who likes the pic’s. They where an afterthought for I was so happy to be out camping I didn’t think of taking pic’s. It was my nephew that took most of them.

Comment

Working...
                X