Couple Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple Pics

This guy was chasing birds when I was camping out in Ft Davis.

Found this little guy hiding on our ranch one day. I haven't seen one since I was a kid, good to know they are still around.
    Los Cuernos Ranch on Facebook

Re: Couple Pics

What is the "little guy" hiding on your ranch?
    "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
    ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

That little guy is a Texas Horned Toad Lizard, they really are cool creatures.

Here is a little info form the TPWD website.

Other Names
      Horny Toad

Texas Status
      Threatened

Description
      The Texas horned lizard or "horny toad" is a flat-bodied and fierce-looking lizard. The head has numerous horns, all of which are prominent, with two central head spines being much longer than any of the others. This lizard is brownish with two rows of fringed scales along each side of the body. On most Texas horned lizards, a light line can be seen extending from its head down the middle of its back. It is the only species of horned lizard to have dark brown stripes that radiate downward from the eyes and across the top of the head.

Habitat
      They can be found in arid and semiarid habitats in open areas with sparse plant cover. Because horned lizards dig for hibernation, nesting and insulation purposes, they commonly are found in loose sand or loamy soils.

Distribution
      Texas horned lizards range from the south-central United States to northern Mexico, throughout much of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and New Mexico.

Other
      The Texas horned lizard currently is listed as a threatened species in Texas (federal category C2).

Comment

Last edited by GeoBigJon; 05-05-2011, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Comment

Nice selection...great photos, keep 'em coming! Love'em! Thanks for sharing!
            Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
            Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Nice selection...great photos, keep 'em coming! Love'em! Thanks for sharing!
              Thank you, figured I would add a couple here and there just to keep some variety in the tread. I need to get back in the field and snap some shots of our Axis Deer, our bucks are looking great right now.

Comment

GBJ - nice close-up work!! :cool:
                Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Monarchs on the migration route, they hang out in our oak tree for a day or two on the way to Mexico.

Inside my new hive last year, lots of ladies ready to work.
                  Last edited by GeoBigJon; 05-11-2011, 04:18 PM. Reason: Added larger image.

Comment

Gorgeous pics!
                    Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Excellent! Thanks for postin up!

Huntin/Fishin photos are okay too! Just keep 'em polite and in good taste! Really like your selections!

Comment

A buddy who traveled across Canada, down the East Coast, stayed with me in Texas for a month, then went to Mexico for 4 months before returning home to Canada. Tent camped most of the way, thats hardcore.

My ride rigged for a couple nights camping.

Couple nights in Davis Mountain State Park in Fort Davis Texas. Sold the FJ for the Jeep. I still need to go camping in my Jeep.

Comment

Excellent again! Thanks for sharing! Great photos!

Comment

wow nice pic

Comment

Beautiful pictures! Thank you =)
                              My Other Interest

Comment

Working...
                              X