Bigdog's Motorcycle Campout January 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigdog's Motorcycle Campout January 2011

I am back from my annual “Tour de Apalachicola Dual Sport Meet”, where a bunch of us mostly ‘older’ off-road riders get together with our over-weight and underpowered Dual Sport bikes to camp, ride and have a good time during the MLK holiday weekend. This was our sixth annual get-together here. We have other meets in other states later in the year.

We met for the second year at “Ed & Bernice’s Fishcamp”, actually a very nice little family-owned campground with a boatramp and a few elderly permanent residents. The caretaker, Miss Linda, has always done us proud. We have a seafood restaurant right next door, so lunch and dinner are a short walk away. We camp right on Ocklocknee River, just west of Tallahassee, Florida.

I camped in my new Dodge Grand Caravan this time, as it has the “Stow&Go” seats that drop down under the floor, giving me eight feet of flat cargo space – plenty room for this old dog’s sleeping bag! Temps got down to twenty the first two nights, but my little 120VAC electric heater kept me comfy.

The Apalachicola National Forest (my ‘backyard’!) gives us hundreds of miles of good dirt forest roads, with lots of trail smeandering around streams, lakes and hardwood hammocks. The deer hunters were out in force, but gave us no trouble.

We had riders come down to north Florida from Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, and both Carolinas. In prior years, we even had folks come down from as far as New York, Illinois and Oklahoma!

Here's the first few pics, showing my rig, and my sleeping accomodations. First night I used a 'self-inflating' sleep pad, but it didn't work worth a hoot. Way too thin. So the second night on, I fell back to 'old reliable', my trusty air mattress. MUCH better! My heater kept the van at a nice 69 degrees, pretty good considering this thing is not insulated and is very well vented! My Zero-degree sleeping bag kept me very comfy. I used a Coleman LED lantern, and a couple LED puck lights inside the van. A 4'X8' rubber mat on the floor kept it fairly smooth, but I will add a sheet of plywood next time to eliminate the rough spots from the seats and latching brackets.

Forgot my folding table, so I used my storage box on the bike trailer as a make-shift table for my 'kitchen'. My new little single-cup coffee maker worked like a champ! I ate mostly Mountain House freeze-dried meals, plus a couple restaurant meals.

My rig:

My 'kitchen'.....

My sleeping arrangement:

Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Re: Bigdog's Motorcycle Campout January 2011

Some more pics.....

Ride gathering:

A couple riders waiting for a friend to suit up:

Gerald & Junior's little Coleman pop-up (I slept in it last year):

The boat ramp (upper right) and fish cleaning station:

The ramp was busy all weekend, as the locals were out fishing for the Stripers coming through the dam and going downriver.

Comment

Thanks Lance! Your trip report gets an "A+" and the photos are really a boost here in the Sierra Mountains! Happy that you had a good time and are working to improve your camping arrangements for future campouts! Well done my friend!
      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

BD I always look in the rear window when I rent minivans to be sure it's the Grand Caravan version with the hollow in the end where the seats fold into - the van is longer and roomier than its shorter version and definitely more useful. More like an RV - and you have an actual PILLOW! No room for those in my Integra. It looks like you sunk the kids college money into that trailer - a lot better built than what you see out west. The riding area looks and sounds a lot like the NJ pine barrens, another valhalla for trail riding and camping. Nice campground too - look at those stainless steel fish cleaning sinks and full covered ramada. Oh yeah, nothing like 110V for power. You look like a good "toy box" candidate once you turn that lottery ticket in - the tent trailer is a non-starter since there's no room for bikes, etc. Nice photos & report!
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, guys.
          TP, I do plan to convert this trailer to an enclosed "Toy-hauler" with minimal camping ability and some insulation - 12V deep cycle battery and 20 pound propane tank - both already on site. I'll be upgrading to a memory foam mattress then too. Cooking will be outside, similar to a teardrop but via a fold-down side table. The "Teardrops & Tiny Trailers" forum has a wealth of construction ideas, as many others have converted open utility trailers.
          This trailer is a 5X10 with woodplank flooring - $1200 from Lowes. I wanted something substantial to carry two bikes and be easily converted. It will still be well within the Grand Caravan's towing limits, though I do not plan on dragging it up mountain passes!
          This minivan is great - a full 4X8 foot cargo area, lots of lights - EIGHT dome lights! Makes a very good 'utility vehicle' with excellent road manners - just can't take it off-roading...... ;-)
          But, that is what the KLR bike is for!
          Last edited by Bigdog57; 01-21-2011, 04:21 AM.

Comment

I would be wary of that Caravan.................depending on what year it is and how many miles on it.

I had a 98 Voyager.............replaced the trans................got rid of that and got a 2002 Caravan............tranny rebuilt in that too.
            I am fed up with Chrysler, never will buy ANYTHING from Chrysler again.
            I am now in a 2008 Toyota Corolla..............yes, a lot smaller, but I know it's not going to break down as I go from Toronto to Vancouver this summer.

If Chrysler would fess up and admit to having a POS transmission it wouldn't be so bad, but they won't.

Comment

This one is a 2005 - I have checked on three different Dodge Caravan forum boards, and the main problem the 2005 seems to have is the electronics, not the trans. The earlier 'generations' were indeed known for trans problems. Two buddies at work had the first generation Caravans, and had lots of problems. By the time of my Fifth Generation, that seems to have been corrected. But I won't stress it unnecessarily.

Comment

Great pics. Looks like an excellent trip!

Comment

Looks like a lot of fun.
                  Los Cuernos Ranch on Facebook

Comment

Looks like good times.

Comment

The ramp was busy all weekend, as the locals were out fishing for the Stripers coming through the dam and going downriver.
                      Hey, was that Stripers or Strippers? Just checkin! Looks like a great campout.
                      FlashLantern turns your flashlight into a lantern!

Comment

Temps were in the thirties/forties during the day - a bit nippy for our Florida bikini girls....... :cool:

Comment

Working...
                        X