RDF Sleeping System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDF Sleeping System

Most everyone knows that we(I and Desert Rose) camp with a Kodiak(4 season) Canvas Wall Tent. We also take and use, on a regular basis Mr. Heater's "Big Buddy" a two panel heater that puts out enough heat in the tent for a 400 sq. foot area. Our tent is 109 sq feet so that we usually only have one burner on at a time. Mr. Heater is a well-designed unit, if moved the pilot light(live flame) extinguishes automatically. If it is tipped over the same holds true. It has never been tipped over, we don't camp with children or dogs and we keep most items at least 3 to 4 feet away. At night or day, if Mr. Heater is running we also keep one window open halfway to allow the carbon monoxide gas to escape. I'm saying this because we use an Areo-bed air mattress system to sleep on. Even when the night time temperature drops to 19f the temp in the tent is 70f.

Let me walk you through the set-up of our bed and the prevention steps I take to ensure that no hypothermia even makes it's appearance when we are sleeping.

1. Ground Cloth goes where the tent will be pitched.
    2. The the tent is pitched.
    3. We spread out three 1/4" military(olive drab) sleeping pads that the mattress is laid upon.
    4. The queen size air mattress is inflated.
    5. Atop the air mattress is placed two wool(green) blankets, to absorb sweat.
    6. A fitted air mattress sheet is fitted over the blankets.
    7. Then our sleeping queen size bags are laid out.
    8. A Bluish-green thermal blanket is placed over the sleeping bags.
    9. Another synthetic w/wool green blanket is last.
    10. We each use a wool "camo" stocking hat to keep our heads warm(my head is a bowling ball with a skirt-on) and our pillows.

Everyday, after the outside temperature warms, I'll air-out the bag and also the lower wool blankets.

Our sleeping attire is wool socks, light-weight long under-wear.

This is our system...remember one should never use an air mattress in an un-heated space...hypothermia is always a threat and is a well known danger. So is Carbon Monoxide, so if you use a tent heater, always leave a window open. Here are some pics to help the visual. This works for us, but might not be for you. btw: When I solo camp, none of this goes...just a pad and a mummy style bag. No frills, then!

PS. The rugs are all cotton bathroom rugs. Easy to wash. We do wear our boots in the tent; the floor is heavy vinyl! Guess I'm going soft! Ha Ha!

Thanks for lookin! Comment?
    Last edited by renodesertfox; 06-10-2010, 11:11 AM.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Interesting. Would a CO detector be a good idea? I have been trying to decide if a Big Buddy would be safe in my Kelty dome tent which has a mesh top and a rain fly.
    When I awoke, the Dire Wolf
    Six hundred pounds of sin
    Was grinning at my window
    All I said was, "Come on in".

Comment

'yote, yeah ya could get one but that's over-kill. Before the Kodiak we had and still have an Eureka Copper Canyon Storm Shelter 10x10(3 season) also with a screen mesh top and a rain fly and we never had a problem with Mr. Buddy! That tent heater is the best thing since sliced bread!:D

Just keep the dog and kids away!
      Last edited by renodesertfox; 07-16-2010, 02:19 PM.

Comment

it is a nice photo!!!!

Comment

Looks pretty cozy to me! :D
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

That looks like a pretty good system to me. I actually use one pretty similar to yours with a few different aspects. I do have one question...does your sleeping cap have to be "camo"? :D
            Seriously, our sleeping bags all have the built in hoods that we use when it is cold outside. We also use a Coleman propane heater that is not as "hot" as the big buddy. It keeps our tent in the 60's and runs about 8 hours on one fuel cell and has the same safety features as the Big Buddy.

Thanks for sharing your sleeping system. It is a tried and true system that most campers can learn from. The biggest "hang up" I have is whether I need those camo headgears...LOL

Comment

How's RDF supposed to hide from the bears without his camo knit cap? :D

So far my Buddy Jr. has served me well. Dad used to have a Coleman 'catalytic heater' that used Coleman fuel. Worked well in our old canvas tent, though I did accidentally slide my sleepingbag corner onto it one night - scorched it a bit..... :o
              I haven't seen those old C-heaters in some time - wonder if they discontinued them? :confused:
              Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Looks like a great set up and gives you that cozy feeling.

Comment

Speaking of the old Coleman catalytic heaters.....my dad had one.
                  Me and a buddy go "camping" down the driveway (we lived on 900 acres, so "down the driveway" was about 3/4 of a football field)
                  ................just far enough away from the house to smoke discretely.:cool:
                  Well we were settling down for the night, it was gettin chilly, so were tried to fire up the heater.
                  It wouldn't go........so Idiot 1 and Idiot 2 pour some Coleman fuel onto a foil pie plate.............no further splainin needed.

Put it this way..........you can't hide a 14" hole in the floor of the tent.

Comment

Hey RDF.........

Do they make an "ultra-lite" version of that sleep system? 'Need one about 38" wide. Actually, the mattress would be bigger than the tent I use. Have to admit, there is no way to backpack "ultra-lite" and even entertain sleeping through the night.

Like your set up. Thanks for sharin'.
                    Chuck
                    So. Oregon
                    TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
                    TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
                    SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

I don't think one has ever been found, an ultra-light version air-mattress. Even a good long lasting normal version air-mattress is hard to come by. But for wear and tear and long-lasting we like the Areo-bed mattress the best. The one we are using now has lasted 5 years. And ya know we camp a lot! I'm still a long ways away from backpackin again. Even with my fused spine and knee brace, I still have bad hurtin' days. But at least it's better looking down at the grass than lookin up at the roots! For ultra-light I think a closed cell foam pad is wonderful!

Comment

Have to agree, looking down at the grass is much better, any day.

I actually take a closed cell as my "couch, reclining chair, knee pad" and when it is time for la-la land, I put it under my self inflating pad. All things considered, that is the best sleep I have figured out on the trail.

Taking a CSer (CouchSurfer) up to Crater Lake tomorrow, then driving over to the coast, spending the night, then coming back Thursday. Jen is from Wisconsin, and has never been to the coast or been to these west coast mountains. This will be cool because she will also get to see the Giant Redwoods, too.

This will be the closest I will get to backpackin' for at least another week.:mad: Gosh, I miss the trail.
                        Chuck
                        So. Oregon
                        TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
                        TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
                        SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Working...
                        X