Blackrock Campground, Joshua Tree NP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackrock Campground, Joshua Tree NP

Here's where we camped a few years ago at Blackrock Campground in Joshua Tree National Park. This campground is just south and up a hill south of Yucca Valley, CA where SilverMaggie is moving back to. The trip we took was to investigate spring blooms in March and the wind really blew hard most of the time. Flower photography was best done at sunrise or sunset, that's when the wind was the stillest. Concerning the campground and the NPS, Joshua Trees are protected plants and you can't use them for an anchor or attached anything to them. We used them for shelter against the wind. We might go down there in April this year to see the spring...this El Nino year has been the wettest in 50 years(that's what they're saying). More rain this weekend.

Thanks for looking. I know I got more photos...I'll add to it.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Going there in April, huh? Maybe we'll be camping neighbors!
    For the record, I am only moving back temporarily, until my daughter finishes 9th grade.

I bet the flowers are going to be amazing this year, I'm definitely going to put our new camera to use!

Can't wait to see more of your photos!
    My Other Interest

Comment

Hey SilverMaggie...We like using nicknames, got one? If not I use initials but yours don't sit well with me (sm). First names work too...everyone refers to me as Vegas or fox, or the whole nine yards...but my name is Brent and I'll answer that as well!

If you want to see some albums...take a moment and go to the tab "Member Lists...go to the V letter or any other letter like B for Bigdog. Click on the letter and then find the name. If you explore another users profile page you'll see like 30 albums that I have done. And you can do albums to. Read up on it on the FAQs Tab. Easy enough...if you have questions pm me or someone else you admire and ask questions or ask 'em here too. Remember, every photo of a camp site gives you ideas on how to improve your next campsite. Every camp-out is just practice for your next camp-out!

I'll put up a few more Blackroack camping pics that I have...but the stuff you see in the photos of my gear, we've gotten rid of just about everything and gotten better. Eaglebait has a hard time with looking at the way I camp because I take so much stuff every time. But he is ultra-light. To each each own, I say! My eldest son says: "Dad if you are sleeping on a mat, that ain't camping either." Shawn I say: "My air mattress inflates to 19" above the floor...you camp your way and I'll camp mine!" This site even has a few campers that use a trailer, or a 5th wheel...and that's their way, no big deal!
      We really can learn from one another...take a little bit here or there and there you go...your own campin' style! Dusty Trails, by Cracky!:D

Comment

More Blackrock Campground, Joshua Tree National Park, CA

The only thing here that has been kept is the yellow lantern...everything else has been discarded for better camping equipment. We vinos are drinking better wine too!

Comment

Originally posted by vegasdesertfox View Post
          Hey SilverMaggie...We like using nicknames, got one? If not I use initials but yours don't sit well with me (sm). First names work too...everyone refers to me as Vegas or fox, or the whole nine yards...but my name is Brent and I'll answer that as well!

If you want to see some albums...take a moment and go to the tab "Member Lists...go to the V letter or any other letter like B for Bigdog. Click on the letter and then find the name. If you explore another users profile page you'll see like 30 albums that I have done. And you can do albums to. Read up on it on the FAQs Tab. Easy enough...if you have questions pm me or someone else you admire and ask questions or ask 'em here too. Remember, every photo of a camp site gives you ideas on how to improve your next campsite. Every camp-out is just practice for your next camp-out!

I'll put up a few more Blackroack camping pics that I have...but the stuff you see in the photos of my gear, we've gotten rid of just about everything and gotten better. Eaglebait has a hard time with looking at the way I camp because I take so much stuff every time. But he is ultra-light. To each each own, I say! My eldest son says: "Dad if you are sleeping on a mat, that ain't camping either." Shawn I say: "My air mattress inflates to 19" above the floor...you camp your way and I'll camp mine!" This site even has a few campers that use a trailer, or a 5th wheel...and that's their way, no big deal!
          We really can learn from one another...take a little bit here or there and there you go...your own campin' style! Dusty Trails, by Cracky!:D

You are funny!

I don't have a nickname, I'm either Tina or SilverMaggie...Silver would work too though. And yes, it's probably not a good idea to call me SM
          (I'm glad my screen name isn't Silver & Maggie)

It seems you camp like I camp, 2 or 3 plastic tubs and an air mattress. I found that during cold nights the air in my mattress would be very cold. We have a good sleeping bag but it was over top of us. I learned that if I bring my feather mattress and put it over the air bed it was MUCH warmer. Problem is it's heavy and takes up space. I don't mind though, to be comfortable and sleep well, it's worth it!

And WOW! All those Joshua Trees are looking full and healthy!
          My Other Interest

Comment

Howdy Silver,
            Now we take a wool blanket and place that over the air mattress for before the sleeping bags. We (I mean my desertrose has her own and I have my own sets of light-weight thermal underwear. It's great on a chilly night. Then over the sleeping bag we have another wool blanket. The underwear was from LLBean and sold for $12.00 for the set...got them on sale. I guess I don't need to tell you because you are the fairer sex and much smarter than us stupid men to always look at the online stuff that is on clearance. I never do...I find what I want and buy it. But my rose, she'll shop around online and really will find the the least expensive desirable item and get that one. Simply amazes me how she does it. That's why I never went to the malls decades ago. When I went to buy something I just went into the first store I came to and bought it. No shopping around, but you girls got all that stuff pegged down! I'm impressed.

The reason I try to keep an upbeat attitude in life and on these here pages is that no one gets out of life...alive. We all gotta croak sometime. Lighten up and have fun! I always say too, it's better to be looking down at the grass than looking up at it and I am happy you didn't sign on as Silver & Maggie. Silver it is...an in pm it will be as you wish! Hope things work out good for you...you've started early so it seems all will be fine.

Desert's rose interview at Rancho Cordova is Feb 12th and on the telephone. If she gets the job...she'll be starting sometime in April but I'm still planning on camping at JT in April for flowers. They will be plentiful this year. From Vegas, it's only a four hour drive due south through the Mojave National Preserve to Amboy and then a little further south to Joshua Tree. I'm kinda of thinking about the BLM site on Quail Springs Rd...I've seen it too before and that's far easier than living amongst RVers at Indian Springs Cove. There are some wonderful spots around that campground! Never been there in April but when there in March the wind just seemed to howl 24/7. "Further on up the road we'll see!" Elwood Blues. Dusty Trails!

Besides I'm a disabled Vet and entrance is free to any National Park and camping is 1/2 price on Federal Land and in California, I also have a disabled card and the state really goes out of their way for us disabled veterans!
            Last edited by renodesertfox; 02-03-2010, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vegasdesertfox View Post
              I guess I don't need to tell you because you are the fairer sex and much smarter than us stupid men to always look at the online stuff that is on clearance. I never do...I find what I want and buy it. But my rose, she'll shop around online and really will find the the least expensive desirable item and get that one. Simply amazes me how she does it. That's why I never went to the malls decades ago. When I went to buy something I just went into the first store I came to and bought it. No shopping around, but you girls got all that stuff pegged down! I'm impressed.

LOL! You will soon figure out that I am more like a guy in lots of ways...wait, that came out wrong...what I meant to say is I am not a smart shopper (maybe your wife can show me thy way) in fact, I HATE shopping unless it's in an auto parts store! I find what I need, buy it, and leave.

I'm getting new tires put on the truck. Tomorrow I will post a pic of the truck in the other thread.

Oh yea, wish desertrose good luck on the interview for me!
              My Other Interest

Comment

Working...
              X