• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glenn Canyon Utah

Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
    USMC Retired
    Scout/Sniper

Thanks for sharing!! The stars pic is absolutely incredible!!
    "Survival isn't learned overnight" ~XXXMoonshineXXX~
    sigpic

Comment

awesome again. I wonder if you have ever taken a bad pic ha!! ha!!
      2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD Crewcab
      2004 Rockwood Freedom 1640 LTD
      I am not lost, I am here

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

Comment

Another great trek! Must have been nearly another 1000 mile roady! Excellent, man!! Got more? Is your web site still going strong? Post up another link to it! Your photography shows good stuff! Your expressions are very creative, keep up the good work, talking with your camera!
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

It was another 1500 miles haha The webpage is still the same. I haven't changed much but I'm working on it. www.richardvgilbert.com
          Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
          USMC Retired
          Scout/Sniper

Comment

It's good to have you back between roadies and campouts! Your photos are nice like I said and even with the sun flare in the Glen Canyon that works too! It's not easy to always be in the right position at the right time of day or night! Here's a tip...buy a good polarizing filter runs about $50-100 for the good ones. If you put a cheap glazz filter on a good piece of glazz the end product will still look like a cheap photo. The filters made by Cannon, Nikon or a company called B & W are excellent honed glass. Leica too are superb but cost well over $200 per filter. Zeiss filters are still made, I think and they are very well made. Also, a good tripod and tripod head are a must purchase also. I got a ton of tips but as you know you don't pull the trigger(shutter) you squeeze it gently! And I don't want to seem too pushy! Your skies are a little flat and could use a little boost. You can do it too in Photoshop or some programs in GIMP have add on filters.
            Last edited by renodesertfox; 01-27-2010, 12:40 AM.

Comment

haha I've been saving up for a polarized filter. I have a regular UV right now just to protect my glass. I have a good tripod and head as well as a wired trigger release (and a wireless one also). My glass is just the kit glass though (you know how expensive it gets haha) and I'm slowly saving up for better stuff. The sky is flat on the second shot because... well... the sky was flat haha! there was just a big brown haze there. I probably should have cut it out and I agree with you on the sun flare! Thanks for the tips and keep them coming! I'm taking my first photography class this semester and I'm thinking about possibly making it a career!
              Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
              USMC Retired
              Scout/Sniper

Comment

Another great set of filters to get are split nd(neutral density) filters. The bottom half is regular glass and the top half is a neutral density of 2 stops, 4 stops whatever. They are great for bringing the sky with it's brightness down to levels where great texture in the clouds can be seen. Check them out, my friend. I have a bunch of them but usually forget to even think about them when I'm shooting...I get caught up in the moment and forget. But they really improve a photograph.

Some folk call them pics, or photos but I like to call them photographs...I put a lot of time into what I like to do and calling them something different, seems to degrade my efforts...savy? Your photographs show great promise, I assure you, sir! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

As an old button pusher, we really enjoyed your night pics. Have only seen such clean darkness in Canada. To many Wally-worlds and fast food joints around here for that kind of beauty. More buildings and less country every year. TO MANY PEOPLE.

Comment

I've been wanting to get a neutral density filter also haha! Photography is a very expensive hobby!
                    Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
                    USMC Retired
                    Scout/Sniper

Comment

This actually is my favorite night shot for that trip.

Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
                      USMC Retired
                      Scout/Sniper

Comment

That is amazing! I have never seen so many stars captured in a picture!
                        My Other Interest

Comment

That is sweet...good capture, and very impressive contrast in that pic.
                          "Survival isn't learned overnight" ~XXXMoonshineXXX~
                          sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all these great photos especially now that cabin fever is setting in.
                            2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD Crewcab
                            2004 Rockwood Freedom 1640 LTD
                            I am not lost, I am here

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

Comment

Still have a 4X5 speed graphic that used for years. Love the large negatives.
                              Gave all of my old processing gear to local photo club. Can't bring myself to get rid of this proven beauty...
                              Modern gear is OK. But hands on processing is ITS own creative art.
                              Miss it.

Comment

Working...
                              X