Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books to enjoy when camping

I thought I'd throw this out there.

I always get a bunch of reading done while camping. At my local spots, I just read the latest releases in my favorite series or by my favorite authors.

However, with some destination type trips in the future, I am looking at books that are based in or about that locale. For example, when I went to Nova Scotia, I read Curse of the Narrows about the Halifax explosion in 1917.

Does anyone else do this? If so, what are some of the books you found for various places?
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Re: Books to enjoy when camping

I don't particularly read for the occasion, I do bring my e-book reader/library and read whatever us next in line (during inclement weather or when waiting for someone to show; if the work in camp is done).
    I typically check out 5 to 10 books per week (for 2 week periods) from Open Librarry or Internet Archive;
    https://openlibrary.org/
    https://archive.org/

...Currently working my way through Steven Brust's Vlad series (fantasy assassin)... Overall they are fair to good...(edit) here is the results of a serch for "Camping" books;
    https://archive.org/search.php?query...lish%22&page=4

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 04-11-2019, 09:19 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

It's really a shame that I don't read books anymore. Before I decided to hide from humans and live as a self-imposed shut-in, I was an English major and a very avid reader. Back in the day I was a big fan of Stephen King, Dean Koontz and Tom Clancy. But now, with so much information online, I spend almost all my time reading up on something or other. When I go camping, I like to give my eyes a rest.

Comment

I'll have to look at the Vlad series.

I read all the dean koontz books - watchers was my favorite. I never cared for Stephen King. He put so much into describing the scene that it contradicted with my imagination's image.

John Saul was awesome! Punish the Sinners is the best and worst book ever. I threw it across the room when I finished it - but still loved it.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
          I never cared for Stephen King. He put so much into describing the scene that it contradicted with my imagination's image.
          Funny you said that. Stephen King is the kind of the reason I got into Dean Koontz. I also started to notice that King was "a little too wordy" and, at the suggestion of a friend, started reading Dean Koontz.

Comment

I am so glad you say that because most people love Stephen King. I remember trying to read Pet Cemetery and after the fourth page of his describing the big tree, I stopped. As soon as he had written "big tree" I had a vision in my mind of that tree, and for the next four pages he basically told me my tree was all wrong. I just felt like he was writing screen plays and not novels.

I do admit that I can read a book today and tomorrow questions if it had been a movie I watched - because I visualize my books so well.

Koontz was very good. A co-worker and I read him and her brother, a struggling writer, had gotten a letter back from Koontz. I still have a copy of it in one of the books.

But John Saul was even better. His stories tended to circle around a teen. But the endings were never story book "the good guy wins" endings. Some were just downright evil (Punish the Sinner - I'm talking about you). But they were such a nice break from Koontz' happy endings. I'd read a Koontz and then a Saul and so on. Later on, his endings started being happy ones. It just ruined them for me. I felt let down.

Comment

I love to read. I enjoy mysteries although when I was younger I could read anything. My mom used to say I crawled into a book. I get wrapped up and attached to the characters so I usually prefer series. I almost morn the characters when I finish a book.

Any one read Jefferson Bass? I love the stories are based on a real place and science. I also loved Bernard Cornwell’s The Starbuck Chronicles. I got so wrapped up in the characters at one point while reading about a Civil War battle I was rooting for the South.

There me are just too many to have a favorite.

Comment

I've read one Bass. Need to add the rest to my list. I like ones that are set in real places - especially when you are there and can see what the characters see.

I love Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Underworld series. So sad when it ended. But she has a new series that is really good. City of the Lost is the first one. They are set in the Canadian wilderness in a secret town.

The Anna Pigeon series by Nevada Barr are mysteries set in National parks.

Comment

I'm a big fan of Vince Flynn. He passed away a few years ago but another writer has continued with the character and name but he is not near as good. Love all the ones that Flynn wrote. It can get pretty graphic/descriptive but it's CIA assassin material. Also a fan of Lee Child and the Jack Reacher character. They made a couple movies with Tom Cruise, who by the way does not fit the description, but I like the books.

Comment

I'm a firm believer that the story ends with the author.

I'm a big King Arthur fan. My favorite is John Steinbeck's The Acts of King Arthur and His Knights. Steinbeck died while writing it. Another writer worked with his widow to finish the book. After reading Steinbeck's notes, etc., he decided that he couldn't do justice by finishing it. So instead he found a point in the already written portion that made a good ending point and published it that way. All Steinbeck.

The result: The story ends just before Gweneviere and Lancelot meet to consumate their affair. Readers can read and decide on their own conclusion - I choose to believe they both saw their stupidity and never did anything and King Arthur reigned forever. :mdr:

Comment

Back to the idea of destination related books, here are some of my favorites:

Curse of the Narrows - Halifax. It really brought the disaster home when you sat on the pier reading about the man who was flung from the harbor to the citadel without any injury but missing clothing and being able to see that distance.

Into the Mad Water and Journey to the Brink - Niagara Falls. Both books tell various true tales of people and animals that have gone over the Falls. I remember reading one account of a young man who was visiting the falls with his sister and young niece. He was playing around and was pretending to toss the little girl into the water. He lost his grip on her and she went in. He was overcome with guilt and jumped in after her. They both went over the falls - she survived, he didn't.

The Convict Lover - Kingston, ON. The author found a bunch of letters in the attic of her house in Kingston. They were between an inmate of the penitentiary and a 17 yr old girl who lived in town. Again, seeing the places and the distances made it so much more impactful.

I'm currently looking for Death Valley and the Mendocino Coast books.

Comment

I love to read but seem to go in phases. When I go camping I take my Nook. Its great. The last time I went I set up my hammock for the first time....its heaven. I don't like to re-read books because there are SO many good books out there that I feel like I am missing out....that being said I like SiFi....Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. Old Mans War by John Scalzi and Ender Game which I just found out is a series so I will be reading those on the next trip. For something intelligent I love The Count of Monte Cristo. I have read all of those books multiple times.
                        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                        – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                          I thought I'd throw this out there.

However, with some destination type trips in the future, I am looking at books that are based in or about that locale. For example, when I went to Nova Scotia, I read Curse of the Narrows about the Halifax explosion in 1917.

Does anyone else do this? If so, what are some of the books you found for various places?
                          What a great idea to pick up books about the place you're going to. It never occurred to me before! Thank you for the idea! I also love to read the classics and books on psychology.

Comment

Thanks. I really enjoy it.

The classics are classics for a reason. In school, the only books I didn't really enjoy were Mark Twain's - they just fell flat for me. I loved Grapes of Wrath. Man in the Iron Mask.

Comment

Recently I have been reading Jim Butcher's Dresden series; about the only consulting wizard in Chicago (i used to live in the suburbs).
                              The series can occasionally be slightly repetitive but overall I can recommend; it some chasing around (more than an old VW bug can stand), some shoot' em up, some old style detective abuse, a bit of magic, appearances by vampires, ghosts, skin walkers etc. and a cameo or two from big foot.

-17 books, I think, and a some short stories.

Enjoy!
                              2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                              For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                              Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                              Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Working...
                              X