Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MacGyver's Miscellaneous Mental Meanderings

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
    Been looking for a collapsible fire pit that wasn't made from sheet metal for years. There's a design I saw long ago but they were only available in the U.K. - and the price was over the top. Fast forward to today and there seems to be quite a few variations on the same idea and made here in the U.S. So, I pulled the trigger on one I saw on Etsy - for less than half the price of the one from the U.K. Nice size too. I didn't want something full size, just big enough to have a small fire to sit around on solo trips and to cook on.
    I went a similar way in needing some sort of portable fire pit to take with me when I do not have access to a fire pit (or it's inconveniently located on the campsite). It needed to be portable/lightweight as I've got to keep my gear weight down for the 4Runner (I dislike packing a lot of heavy stuff). It also had to have cooking ability (ie...dual function: fire pit and cooking surface) and it needed to be Leave No Trace.

I found and purchased the Pop Up Pit (I got the larger size...they also make a smaller sized one/two person pit). Meets all Federal Fire Pit regs. Packs up to the size of a portable chair and weighs UNDER 8 lbs (pit only). Supports 125 lbs. Frame and sides made of aircraft aluminum, the fire sits on a fire rated steel mesh screen, and the cooking tri-fold grill is 304 stainless. Ground is protected by a reflective blanket. The website shows customers using it on their wood decks....but I don't think I would. I've had way tooooo many pops and sparks shoot into my lap from campfires over the years to know better than leave this on a wood deck.

I've used it a few times at home and about a month ago for a few nights at a primitive "no established fire pits anywhere" camping area. Worked out fabulously. Everything folded up and went back in the bag and there was no trace on the ground that we had several campfires throughout our stay. This thing is a game changer for me and my camping style....no more worrying about where the established pit is located on a campsite. I can cook on this with wood or charcoal briquettes under my tarp should conditions require. Now.....the fire comes to me. Best gear purchase I've done lately....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Popup Pit 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	71211Click image for larger version

Name:	Popup Pit 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	71212Click image for larger version

Name:	Hidden Falls Popup Pit.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	71213
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
      I went a similar way in needing some sort of portable fire pit to take with me when I do not have access to a fire pit... This thing is a game changer for me and my camping style....no more worrying about where the established pit is located on a campsite. I can cook on this with wood or charcoal briquettes under my tarp should conditions require. Now.....the fire comes to me. Best gear purchase I've done lately...
      Yet another way we seem to have similar styles of camping, except in my case I'm more concerned with bulk rather than weight. (I didn't buy a truck with a 400 hp engine to haul pillows ) Yeah - I wanted fire where I want fire, not dictated by a fire ring. And the thought of cooking under a tarp with charcoal also occurred to me. It also occurred to me that I've become super lazy when it comes to cooking, favoring expensive dehydrated meals over good ol' cheeseburgers, franks and beans and actual bacon and eggs. My next purchase is most likely going to be a mountain pie sandwich maker (or whatever you call those clamping hoojamabobs).

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
        Yet another way we seem to have similar styles of camping, except in my case I'm more concerned with bulk rather than weight. (I didn't buy a truck with a 400 hp engine to haul pillows ) Yeah - I wanted fire where I want fire, not dictated by a fire ring. And the thought of cooking under a tarp with charcoal also occurred to me. It also occurred to me that I've become super lazy when it comes to cooking, favoring expensive dehydrated meals over good ol' cheeseburgers, franks and beans and actual bacon and eggs. My next purchase is most likely going to be a mountain pie sandwich maker (or whatever you call those clamping hoojamabobs).

Ha! Yea, I keep the weight low so I can put this kind of stuff up in the roof rack and still go glam camp. One difference is I'm usually with spouse, who requires a bit more "comforts of civilization" when camping. I would go the MH way and oatmeal/bfast bars on a solo trip. Especially in the summer when there is more daylight and things to do....in winter, I have more time around the campfire so a slow cooked meal (or even a reheat of a leftover chili or something is good).

lol....I have some of those mountain pie sandwich makers. Just started using them again a couple of years ago. I believe they are retailed under various names (mine are Pie Irons). As a kid, they were pudgy pie makers around our campsite (don't ask where that came from...I do not know/remember origin-lol).

We used a large sandwich maker iron (double sandwich-it's a rectangle) and 2 regular sized (square) and made pizzas. The next morning we used them for cinnamon rolls (out of the tube). Pretty good, pretty easy. Make sure to season them first before heading out (cast iron). Here's a pic of that double sizer iron and pizza. Delicious anywhere...but out at a campsite? Awesome!:

Click image for larger version

Name:	pie irons 2.jpg
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	71214 Click image for larger version

Name:	pie irons.jpg
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	71215
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I really understand the Bulk concerns (I camp with a TJ Jeep; 2 doors... real Jeeps have 2 doors and sometimes a tailgate (used to be optional on CJs) according to some olde tyme Jeepers...

Haven't gotten to the point of carrying a fire pit yet, the fire rings move around every year/weekend, locally.. should have, probably, pulled the basket out of the last washing machine when it died...
          If a portable fire pit were needed, on the spur of the moment, a large (quite heavy) truck brake drum would like ly work.. 'though, it seems like, summer/end of summer fire bans have been ubiquitous locally for the last few years.

Re; pie irons; the last ones I had were aluminum with non stick coating (lasted almost a summer before the non stick wasn't, any more). Cast iron would be better; IMO.

I, too, have gotten lazy(er) a single burner propane stove heats the morning coffee (or lunch/supper) a folding fire grate is still packed in the cooking gear, but it hasn't seen a fire for several years.

Enjoy!
          Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-14-2020, 07:11 AM.
          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
          Ground tents work best for me, so far.
          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I just have to say this about pie irons:

apple pie filling grilled in bread does NOT an apple pie make. It's an apple pie filling grilled sandwich.

Pizza toppings grilled in bread does NOT a pizza make. It's a pizza topping grilled sandwich.

Meat and veggies grilled in bread does NOT a meat pie make. It's a meat and veggies grilled sandwich.

Marshmallows and chocolate grilled in bread does NOT a smores make. It a marshmallow and chocolate grilled sandwich.

Even as a kid, I never understood how other kids fell for these "treats". Sliced bread is for sandwiches and toast. It does not replace graham crackers, biscuits, pie crust, pizza crust, etc.

Now, back to your regular programming...
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
              I just have to say this about pie irons:

apple pie filling grilled in bread does NOT an apple pie make. It's an apple pie filling grilled sandwich.

Pizza toppings grilled in bread does NOT a pizza make. It's a pizza topping grilled sandwich.

Meat and veggies grilled in bread does NOT a meat pie make. It's a meat and veggies grilled sandwich.

Marshmallows and chocolate grilled in bread does NOT a smores make. It a marshmallow and chocolate grilled sandwich.

Even as a kid, I never understood how other kids fell for these "treats". Sliced bread is for sandwiches and toast. It does not replace graham crackers, biscuits, pie crust, pizza crust, etc.

Now, back to your regular programming...
              No, seriously, tell us how you really feel about pie irons.

Comment

:he:
                “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Hey...I'm a "dough boy"...that's fine pizza dough on those irons....check the pics. Ha! But I usually will use anything but bread (altho they make ok toast...).

A good quick pizza on a rectangle double iron is a Totinos frozen pizza....folded in half. The rectangle shape...in half...fits nearly perfectly. lol. No muss...no fuss (this is a good first night meal as it's quick....and keeping them frozen for more than a day in a cooler...is a bit difficult).

sigpic

Comment

For pizza, I do boboli individual crusts with my preferred toppings. Add a little olive oil to a frying pan with lid (I like to try different flavored oils), drop the pizza in, cover with lid and cook over low heat until cheese is melted. Yum!

Comment

I'm now thinking a pizza Hot Pocket in a rectangle pie iron might be a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                        For pizza, I do boboli individual crusts with my preferred toppings. Add a little olive oil to a frying pan with lid (I like to try different flavored oils), drop the pizza in, cover with lid and cook over low heat until cheese is melted. Yum!
                        We do this with Pita’s.

Comment

Working...
                        X