MacGyver's Miscellaneous Mental Meanderings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MacGyver's Miscellaneous Mental Meanderings

I understand that completely. I was tied to my siblings until my dad died. It sure made it nice when I was able to break the connections and walk away from them. My dad and I didn't have a great relationship, but he was my dad and I couldn't leave him to my siblings and their abuse.

I like where I live, but I find people annoying and distasteful more and more. Being back after a week away from people just puts that lump back in my stomach. Dealing with them just makes me tired and stressed. I'm just tired of the hatred, the insulting, the lack of compassion and empathy, and the general nastiness of society.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Selling off camping gear that you've had for years but still in like new condition is heartbreaking. But, no matter how much I get rid of I know it's still going to be a nightmare moving out of here one day, so the downsizing must begin. Tents that have served me well, lanterns that I remember from my early days out with the guys and tons of miscellaneous bits and pieces - all on Facebook marketplace and Craigslist. This sucks.

Comment

Can you find old photos of camping trips with those items? If so, you could make a decopauge table top for a folding table with them. That way you can always bring them camping with you, but not have all that extra gear.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Actually, I'm thinking along the lines of being hypnotized to forget about the things I'm selling. They're like old friends I won't see anymore.
          I have one pic from one of my first trips out with the gang of idiots. Still have those pots, the same nylon utensils, the Coleman two burner and the pole going up to the light at the top. The ear protection, the propane grill, the Electric Hickman leaning on the tree on the left and that red coffee mug are long lost friends.

Early MacGyvering - Early 90s

Yeah - I'm weird. Or maybe it's just a guy thing. I love my toys.
          Last edited by MacGyver; 03-25-2019, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Not a guy thing - women do it too.

Why not hypnotize yourself to believe that your new gear is the old gear?

Comment

Nope - wouldn't work for me. Then there'd be no joy in "new toys".

Comment

Then you are definitely between a rock and a hard place... Maybe you can find an inexpensive storage place near where you want to end up (and where you like to camp) and move some of your gear over to it with each camping trip? By the time you can move, most if not all of your stuff will be already moved.

Comment

I know you're trying to help here, but you're taking the situation way too seriously. I pretty much put the OP up just to give the forum a bit of a kick in the shins to wake it up. It IS, after all, my mental meandering page, so just about anything is liable to show up.

On the other hand, the reality of it all isn't so glib. The sad fact is, there's a lot more - and I mean a LOT more- in this house besides camping gear that's going to be hard to part with when the time comes for me to leave the state. I don't know if I've ever mentioned it elsewhere on here, but I'm only in Maryland until my mom passes, so no matter what, it's going to be a nightmare. I know what my intentions are, where I think I'm going when that time comes, but not being able to predict the future (of course) means I don't know when I'm leaving or where I might end up moving.

Comment

Just playing with you.

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                      Then you are definitely between a rock and a hard place... Maybe you can find an inexpensive storage place near where you want to end up (and where you like to camp) and move some of your gear over to it with each camping trip? By the time you can move, most if not all of your stuff will be already moved.
                      This seems like it might be a great idea....Spend some money on a small storage place up north for most of my camping gear. When a trip is over just unload it and get it ready for the next trip. Saving money on gas and get some extra room in the garage......

probably not worth it but still....
                      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                      – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                        This seems like it might be a great idea....Spend some money on a small storage place up north for most of my camping gear. When a trip is over just unload it and get it ready for the next trip. Saving money on gas and get some extra room in the garage......

probably not worth it but still....
                        Geese;.. and I thought that the purpose of the "spare" bedroom was to get extra space in the garage (between trip camping gear storage)...

Use it up/wear it out, replace, salvage any usable parts (i.e.poles/pegs) and scrap the rest....
                        For the really great, small (lantern size and smaller), stuff that is no longer used; there is always the museum shelf/bookcase top...
                        For the stuff that seemed like a great idea; at the time (but really wasn't).. find a deserving individual and give it away....

Enjoy!
                        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

It would depend on if you 1) have a spare room, 2) go camping in different directions, 3) have gear that you only use for certain locations, etc.

Say you snow camp in the same area every winter. Rather than mixing the snow gear up with all the other gear, you could store it close to the camping and grab it enroute. And if the traffic is often heavy, that could get you on the road a lot quicker than if you packed up first. Get past the heavy traffic and then pack up.

Comment

I'm usurping your meanderings for this...

You know it's spring when some young man is running around the intersection wearing pants 5 sizes too big that are falling around his ankles and he's NOT wearing underwear.

Comment

When you love your gadgets too much to leave 'em home:

Comment

Been looking for a collapsible fire pit that wasn't made from sheet metal for years. There's a design I saw long ago but they were only available in the U.K. - and the price was over the top. Fast forward to today and there seems to be quite a few variations on the same idea and made here in the U.S. So, I pulled the trigger on one I saw on Etsy - for less than half the price of the one from the U.K. Nice size too. I didn't want something full size, just big enough to have a small fire to sit around on solo trips and to cook on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	il_794xN.1421545249_7vii.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	71208 Click image for larger version

Name:	il_794xN.1374313022_73to.jpg
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	71209 Click image for larger version

Name:	il_794xN.1421580627_tkv8.jpg
Size:	91.7 KB