X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hiking shoe fitting

ive been looking for a hiking shoe
    and went to a few stores lately,
    recently was at REI and noticed advised they gave to other buyers trying on shoes
    salesman was telling the people they need to buy a size larger than there regular walking shoe, and that they need the extra room so their foot has room to move in the shoe.
    explaining how toe should not touch the front when hiking downhill
    this appears to be what REI trains their salesmen to say as i heard it at 2 different REI stores
    I completely disagree with this advise,
    while should have toe room, 1 size up is too large,
    shoe should hold your foot firmly, heel should not come up off the bottom when hiking on various terrain., and midsection should also be held firmly,
    if your foot moves you will have friction and blisters
    i am a size 9 and have 1 pair of boots that is a size 10, even with large thick winter socks and inserts, it is too large and not comfortable for considerable distances.

Re: hiking shoe fitting

Ahhhhhhhhh, shoe lasts.......women have been witching about em fer decades.
    I recall one company whose shoes sizes differed by what country they were manufactured in: Italy or Spain.

My suggestion?
    Try on shoes w/ the appropriate hosiery later in the day when your feet are generally the biggest they will get in a day. For hiking boots that would prolly be heavy socks and your shoe size will prolly be a half to full size bigger. If that shoe manufacturer doesn't make half sizes and that's what you need go with a different company. Oh and make sure the area of the store you are walking in has no carpeting for shoe try-ons.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

One size too large? That's almost a guarantee of blisters on a long hike. I'm surprised REI is touting that as the way to go.

Comment

I agree with the 1/2 to 1 size larger - especially for women. Women in particular tend to buy shoes that are too small to begin with - in summer, check out all the toes hanging over the ends of the sandals. Women tend to squish their toes into shoes by default.

The heel needs to be fitted, but the toe bed should be loose. Most hiking boots have a more fitted heel by design, so the focus is really on getting the right toe bed fit. Going a larger size, counters the habit of toe cramming.

I also find that because women don't normally wear heavy socks (preferring light trouser socks, nylons, or bare feet), that they don't normally buy shoes to fit with socks. So, there "usual" style is already a bad fit for hiking boots where socks are necessary.

Add in swelling throughout the day and your "usual size" in an everyday shoe will be disastrous in a hiking shoe. Mine are at minimum 1/2 size bigger than my normal shoe size (which IS the right size for my feet).
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

The EMS, Vasque and other hiking boots I've purchased had to be one size larger to accomodate the inner wicking sock and the outer supportive sock, and the needed space in front of the toe.
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I don't use hiking boots any more. Trail runners - that's the ticket.
            2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

My hiking boots are a size larger. I wear a pair of injinji liner socks and a thick pair of wool socks. This keeps my foot from sliding around in my Keen hiking boots. My winter hiking boots are Danners and I purchased those a size larger, the problem I have with them is I feel like I am walking in clown shoes. I really wish I would not bought them so large and would like a different pair, but they are very warm and will not wear out. I have had them for 24 years now and the look like new.

I am thinking of getting a pair of trail shoes because I enjoy walking in a less structured shoe.

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                I don't use hiking boots any more. Trail runners - that's the ticket.
                Can you 'splain what trail runners are?
                I'm getting a tad bored picking out shoes for the man that he'll actually wear.
                2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                  Buy him a pair of these and he will never ask you to buy shoes again

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
                    Buy him a pair of these and he will never ask you to buy shoes again

.......welllllll that goes without saying.......
                    2017:

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                      Well, that's the problem. I'm the kind of guy that, if my wife likes it, I automatically hate it. Kind of like how she doesn't like me shopping for her lingerie. Because...reasons. Not everything has to be practical and common sense. Actually, I hate that. In lingerie. As for hiking shoes - light weight, aggressive tread, and the ability to drain water (keeping it out is a lost cause).
                      2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                        Well, that's the problem. I'm the kind of guy that, if my wife likes it, I automatically hate it. Kind of like how she doesn't like me shopping for her lingerie. Because...reasons. Not everything has to be practical and common sense. Actually, I hate that. In lingerie. As for hiking shoes - light weight, aggressive tread, and the ability to drain water (keeping it out is a lost cause).
                        Of course there are reasons. On my end it manifests it self this way.
                        I write a shopping list with the following items on it:

one 1-1/2 to 2" Porterhouse steak
                        2 family packs of lamb chops

What he brought home was 3 steaks 1 to 1-1/12" thick
                        2 family packs of lamb chops.

Hate to think how that would translate into lingerie......

Did a google and found some trail runners; I'll show him later and prolly call em lightweight sneakers.
                        2017:

Comment

Actually, buying hking boots one size larger than your actual shoe size is not a bad idea. You can easily adjust a big boot by adding inserts, but a shoe that is too small will never be wearable.

In the old days, you went to a good shoe store with the socks you would use for hiking and you would try on boot after boot until they fit just right. Sometimes you had to try different boots of the same size to find the pair that was just right.

Today, most boots are bought online. Even if you go to a bricks and mortar store, the offerings and sizes are very limited. Buying boots isn't the intimate and exciting experience it used to be.

So, today we buy boots online. You get what they send you. Rather than being able to really fine tune the boot to your foot, you have to fine tune the fit to the boot with inserts.

Comment

Working...
                          X