• Show
Clear All

• what is this used for?

received another swiss army knife,
    just curious what this is used for?
    doesn't have any sharp edges,
    Attached Files

Re: what is this used for?

If I recall correctly, that is supposed to be used to carry packages that are bundled with twine. I've used it to get boot laces extra tight.

Comment

thanks for that
      guess that kinda makes sense
      another reason I really don't like swiss army knives

Comment

As a dedicated tinkerer, I find them very useful. No, the blades aren't good carbon steel, and some of the tools are decidedly limited in their functions, but I find myself using my Swiss Champs just about everyday - especially on camping trips. It's just a lot of tools in very little space.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
          As a dedicated tinkerer, I find them very useful. No, the blades aren't good carbon steel, and some of the tools are decidedly limited in their functions, but I find myself using my Swiss Champs just about everyday - especially on camping trips. It's just a lot of tools in very little space.
          How do you sharpen the itsty bitsy scissors on a Swiss knife? Thought I'd put it thru my electric knife sharpener but it's too small. The only other thing I can think of to do is cut various grades of sandpaper....
          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
            How do you sharpen the itsty bitsy scissors on a Swiss knife? Thought I'd put it thru my electric knife sharpener but it's too small. The only other thing I can think of to do is cut various grades of sandpaper....
            I've never had much luck sharpening stainless blades of any size. But, even with my oldest Swiss knife, probably about 15 years old now, I've never had to sharpen the scissors. I mostly use them to trim my fingernails which are hard enough to use as screwdrivers and I'll cut 1/4 inch rope and paracord with 'em - they just don't seem to dull. Your sandpaper idea does sound like the best way to go, though. It's kind of funny that we're talking about this now. For a few months now I've been thinking how great it would be if Victorinox or Wenger offered a carbon steel version of some of their knives.

Comment

That is a problem I find with almost all cheaper multitools - thin cheap stainless knife blades. They are akin to cheap kitchen knives, virtually unsharpenable and next to useless.
              I tried using the can opener blades of several multitools again the other day. Finally resorted to my forty year old USAF P38 can opener to get the job done!
              Wonder if y'all have tried the SAK can opener and how well does it work?
              Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                I've never had much luck sharpening stainless blades of any size. But, even with my oldest Swiss knife, probably about 15 years old now, I've never had to sharpen the scissors. I mostly use them to trim my fingernails which are hard enough to use as screwdrivers and I'll cut 1/4 inch rope and paracord with 'em - they just don't seem to dull. Your sandpaper idea does sound like the best way to go, though. It's kind of funny that we're talking about this now. For a few months now I've been thinking how great it would be if Victorinox or Wenger offered a carbon steel version of some of their knives.
                Thanks for fast return!:D I'm in the get stuff together zone so you know how that can be. Sandpaper method it is and I'll get to that later today.

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
                That is a problem I find with almost all cheaper multitools - thin cheap stainless knife blades. They are akin to cheap kitchen knives, virtually unsharpenable and next to useless.
                I tried using the can opener blades of several multitools again the other day. Finally resorted to my forty year old USAF P38 can opener to get the job done!
                Wonder if y'all have tried the SAK can opener and how well does it work?
                Well......I sharpened the man's Swiss army knife yesterday and noted a big ol off true ding in it. Asked where the "good" version I bought him was and he left it with some kindly airport security personnel.
                Oh well. I'm not going to Zurich anytime soon AND I already bought him a Fathers' Day present sooooooo too bad, so sad and ain't it a shame:out:.

The SAK's bottle/can opener function depends on it's design and....depth. There are actually more than one manufacturer of these knives and cost is a clue as to what you are getting as with other manufactured goods. Case in point is the man's knives. I spent a small bundle on his knife that I purchased on the recommendation of a friend who had actually used it in the field.

The man's current knife has a bottle opener but no can opener which is hint #1. The corkscrew is too short in length (only 3-4 coils and trust me to know that), hint #2. And the knife is too short as well.
                2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

An electric sharpener? AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!! NNNNOOOOOO!!!:aww:

I've had a Swiss Army Knife (Victorinox) since 1984. Its never been difficult to sharpen. Sharpening with whatever stones I had around, it was OK. After the first time I used a borrowed EZE-Lap diamond hone (round one with the brass handle that stores the hone when not in use. Avoid the one with fish hook sharpener groove), I bought one and never looked back. That first time with the EZE-Lap, I used my knife to cut a rope on a boat that was about the size of my thumb or slightly larger. One swipe. It was a rather unpleasant situation, and I was very happy I didnt have to work at it.

I've sharpened my scissors a few times with the EZE-Lap, no problem. They rarely need it. I also cut my fingernails with it, and nearly never use regular clippers. I've cut my hair, cut automotive wire, and all sort of things with them.

The can opener works quite well once you get the rythm figured out. Go counterclockwise around the can. If I havent used it in a long time, I tend to want to go too far on each advance. I didnt even have a can opener at my house for a long time, I just used my knife, no big deal. I decided to be civilized and bought a can opener with a turning handle. It finally wore out and I'm back to my knife. The can opener and bottle opener are separate tools.

I've never had a model with a corkscrew, as I dont recall ever needing one. The Super Tinker model doesnt have any tools I havent used, and I've used them all at some time or another. They may not be the ideal tool for any particular task, but its often right at hand, and often gets the job done in less time than it takes to go get the right tool. The ST is also small enough to comfortably pocket carry. I dont think I've gone a single day since 1984 without the knife, and when working or am outdoors much, use it nearly every day.

I dont think the cheap copies are worth the money. The originals dont really cost that much in the big picture. Walmart had them on sale a few years ago for about $25 I think, I paid $40-ish back in 1984. I bought a couple spares, and gave one to a guy that worked with me, as he never had a knife on him. When I see him, he still never has a knife on him. The handle on one side fell off my original one, I glued it back on, but several years later it came off again, so I broke out one of the spares. Its OK, but the older scissors with a screw instead of a pin/rivet at the pivot work better than the new type.

RE sharpening stainless. It can be a pain in the behind. I have a Randall made knife that was difficult to sharpen well. The EZE-Lap does it very easily. If any of my knives get less than shaving sharp they get touched up. Very simple with the EZE-Lap. They wear to a degree after several years of regular use. I keep a new one in my truck for the Randall, used ones scattered through my gear, and one in the silverware drawer in the kitchen.
                  Last edited by Malamute; 05-10-2015, 09:50 PM.

Comment

I had a Swiss Army Camper model that I really liked (sadly it too has "stolen" by the TSA). I used every tool on it at one time or another...though I did decide that it was easier to cut firewood with an axe than with the saw! I never found the can opener that difficult to use and the corkscrew was used nearly every camping trip for opening a bottle of wine with dinner. One tip I always observed...I used one blade (the shorter one) for cutting things that were harder and would dull the blade quickly. That way, the longer blade stayed sharp. This way, I always had a sharp blade for those occasions when I really needed one.

I now have a Swiss Army Traveler which is useful, but a bit too large to easily pocket carry. I'm thinking of purchasing a Rally to use for everyday carrying.
                    Where we've camped so far (as an adult...many more when I was a kid :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Malamute View Post
                      An electric sharpener? AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!! NNNNOOOOOO!!!:aww:

I've had a Swiss Army Knife (Victorinox) since 1984. Its never been difficult to sharpen. Sharpening with whatever stones I had around, it was OK. After the first time I used a borrowed EZE-Lap diamond hone (round one with the brass handle that stores the hone when not in use. Avoid the one with fish hook sharpener groove), I bought one and never looked back. That first time with the EZE-Lap, I used my knife to cut a rope on a boat that was about the size of my thumb or slightly larger. One swipe. It was a rather unpleasant situation, and I was very happy I didnt have to work at it.

I've sharpened my scissors a few times with the EZE-Lap, no problem. They rarely need it. I also cut my fingernails with it, and nearly never use regular clippers. I've cut my hair, cut automotive wire, and all sort of things with them.

The can opener works quite well once you get the rythm figured out. Go counterclockwise around the can. If I havent used it in a long time, I tend to want to go too far on each advance. I didnt even have a can opener at my house for a long time, I just used my knife, no big deal. I decided to be civilized and bought a can opener with a turning handle. It finally wore out and I'm back to my knife. The can opener and bottle opener are separate tools.

I've never had a model with a corkscrew, as I dont recall ever needing one. The Super Tinker model doesnt have any tools I havent used, and I've used them all at some time or another. They may not be the ideal tool for any particular task, but its often right at hand, and often gets the job done in less time than it takes to go get the right tool. The ST is also small enough to comfortably pocket carry. I dont think I've gone a single day since 1984 without the knife, and when working or am outdoors much, use it nearly every day.

I dont think the cheap copies are worth the money. The originals dont really cost that much in the big picture. Walmart had them on sale a few years ago for about $25 I think, I paid $40-ish back in 1984. I bought a couple spares, and gave one to a guy that worked with me, as he never had a knife on him. When I see him, he still never has a knife on him. The handle on one side fell off my original one, I glued it back on, but several years later it came off again, so I broke out one of the spares. Its OK, but the older scissors with a screw instead of a pin/rivet at the pivot work better than the new type.

RE sharpening stainless. It can be a pain in the behind. I have a Randall made knife that was difficult to sharpen well. The EZE-Lap does it very easily. If any of my knives get less than shaving sharp they get touched up. Very simple with the EZE-Lap. They wear to a degree after several years of regular use. I keep a new one in my truck for the Randall, used ones scattered through my gear, and one in the silverware drawer in the kitchen.
                      Ahem.....someone used my sharpening stones as a pumice stone for their feet. I believe the excuse was they had a callous and dinna know where the pedicure kit was. Being a nice person (sometimes) I merely sighed, threw 'em in the garbage and bought the electric sharpener. On the bright side no one ever touches it but moi and they work quite nicely on my kitchen knives. I'll never use 'em a SAK again because at least for the one on hand the metal is too soft.

No corkscrew?!? Well what do you bother to have the thing for?:he:
                      2017:

Comment

The wine I've bought in the past 10 or 12 years didnt require one, I just turn the little spigot on the box.

I also moved to Bulleit bourbon for my rare inbibing, but since the back has gotten worse, I dont drink anything because of the pain meds.

Comment

Originally posted by Malamute View Post
                          The wine I've bought in the past 10 or 12 years didnt require one, I just turn the little spigot on the box.

I also moved to Bulleit bourbon for my rare inbibing, but since the back has gotten worse, I dont drink anything because of the pain meds.
                          A few seasons back I bought a box wine that really made me happy. Unfortunately the box disintegrated in the cooler leaving me with an unwieldy bladder of wine; I went back to the bottle, LOL. I'm the med-less navigator not the driver= I get to drink mo.
                          2017:

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                            A few seasons back I bought a box wine that really made me happy. Unfortunately the box disintegrated in the cooler leaving me with an unwieldy bladder of wine; I went back to the bottle, LOL. I'm the med-less navigator not the driver= I get to drink mo.
                            Yeah, if the box disintegrated, they would be pretty unwieldly.

I read somewhere that the 5 liter bladders made good camp pillows, so saved a couple. I've had them a couple years, but havent tried them yet. I think theyd need some little pillow cases to be comfortable.

Comment

Working...
                            X