2015 Honda Africa Twin... Thought?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 Honda Africa Twin... Thought?

Looking to purchase a new bike to trail ride around Golden Ears in Maple Ridge, Canada. The trails can be quite technical, and I am a little nervous this bike is a Honda.

http://indefinitelywild.gizmodo.com/...for-1654491126

What are your thoughts?
    Visit www.gearspoke.com for all of your rental needs!

Re: 2015 Honda Africa Twin... Thought?

Being an adventure bike guy myself, here's my thoughts, opinions really, worth every centavo you paid for it......

1) 1000cc is really too big for hard-core off-road. Even a 650cc like my KLR650 gets mighty heavy to lug around the technical stuff for long. I really think 350cc to 450cc is the best engine displacement, depending on the rider's weight and how much gear he brings along.

2) Too stripped down. "Adventure Motorcycling" is really about longer offroad touring rides, carrying your camping gear. Needs a decent rear rack and side-pack frames.

3) Too small a fuel tank. As in #2 above, true adventure riding is about distance. I'd want no less than a five to six gallon tank. Some riders mount after-market 8 gallon tanks. If you are just going to bash around a single track for a thirty mile ride, then this tank might do ya.

4) Honda, no problem. I am not really brand-loyal. I like my Kawa, but I started on a Honda in my teens, and they are still a good name. You really cannot go wrong with any Jap Bike, for good performance with decent reliability, and being able to do your own maintenance. Not so sure about the Euro Bikes..... I have no personal experience with them.

5) I want to read some first-hand rider's reviews of this bike before I'd throw down my FIRNs on one. I would expect to do a LOT of basic farkling, which would add to the cost. Especially to equip it for adventure riding/camping.
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Re: 2015 Honda Africa Twin... Thought?

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
      Being an adventure bike guy myself, here's my thoughts, opinions really, worth every centavo you paid for it......

1) 1000cc is really too big for hard-core off-road. Even a 650cc like my KLR650 gets mighty heavy to lug around the technical stuff for long. I really think 350cc to 450cc is the best engine displacement, depending on the rider's weight and how much gear he brings along.

2) Too stripped down. "Adventure Motorcycling" is really about longer offroad touring rides, carrying your camping gear. Needs a decent rear rack and side-pack frames.

3) Too small a fuel tank. As in #2 above, true adventure riding is about distance. I'd want no less than a five to six gallon tank. Some riders mount after-market 8 gallon tanks. If you are just going to bash around a single track for a thirty mile ride, then this tank might do ya.

4) Honda, no problem. I am not really brand-loyal. I like my Kawa, but I started on a Honda in my teens, and they are still a good name. You really cannot go wrong with any Jap Bike, for good performance with decent reliability, and being able to do your own maintenance. Not so sure about the Euro Bikes..... I have no personal experience with them.

5) I want to read some first-hand rider's reviews of this bike before I'd throw down my FIRNs on one. I would expect to do a LOT of basic farkling, which would add to the cost. Especially to equip it for adventure riding/camping.
      Awesome! Thanks for the recommendations!
      Visit www.gearspoke.com for all of your rental needs!

Comment

Working...
      X