Fixing my new (old) F150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing my new (old) F150

I bought a 1999 F150 bought from (it turns out) an unscrupulous guy.

I knew there were some problems as the check engine light was on and I got it for a REALLY good price so I can't complain to much but still....this is what I have found.

The engine had been replaced and I am assuming they replace the wire harness at the same time. The only problem is that they didn't use the right harness. There was only one trouble code in the computer despite the fact that there were at least 3 sensors with nothing to plug into them. I figured they must have spliced the heck out of the harness to get the codes to go away.

Anyway last week I replaced the wiring harness and my check brake light came on, check engine light is still on and now the transmission isn't shifting right.

I realized the sensor for the brake fluid reservoir was missing so today I got one from a junk yard, installed it and that light went out. (the missing sensor didn't trip the check break light with the old harness) Then went down to read/clear out the old check engine codes.

There was only one code in there before and it was still there (intake air temp sensor) so I cleared that out as the new harness should have fixed that....but there were 2 new ones for the transmission shift solenoids.

They are different codes so i am calling it progress.

YAY PROGRESS!
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Re: Fixing my new (old) F150

I hate inheriting other people's problems, especially when they botched the job! I helped a buddy once to totally rewire an old customized '57 Chevy. That was..... uh...... fun! ;-)
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Working...
    X