solar powered phone case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: solar powered phone case

It's as well made as any other I've seen, but I don't know that I would bolt it to a ladder rack. I don't think any panel could take that much abuse - they are made with tempered glass after all. I know it took about a half hour of marble sized hail last year, and it's been blown over face first a couple of times, with no damage. Another reason not to bolt it to your truck would be your wanting to point it into the sun to maximize the power output. I try to keep the truck in a shady spot. The panel should angled into sun somewhere.

I transport mine by draping a furniture pad over it, covering it front and back, then putting it cell-side against the back of jump seat. In front of that goes the tent, the sleeping bag and the duffel bag.

Comment

I was thinking more of a removable rig. It would charge batteries while driving around and I could leave it up there in a pinch but it would have to be easily removed for tailgating and camping. Maybe some bushings to dampen some of the vibrations just to be safe. I have seen some videos where people have mounted them to van roof racks so if it is as tough at those it should work.

Although now that I am really thinking about it I don't if it would be worth it to mount it to the rack...for me anyway. It wouldn't be something I would use all the time. Just for tailgating and camping and I don't see a need to have it on the roof while I am doing those things. Oh well, either way I think this is going on my wish list. My problem is the same as yours. No cash due to car repairs. I am currently in the process of fixing the AC on my F150. I already replaced the compressor and found that the reason the last one went bad is the clutch is constantly engaged. I just have to figure out why.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

I never knew that there was anything like this either. Would make for a perfect camping accessory.

Comment

Hey guys,
          I'm not really experienced with solar phone cases, but I'm looking for something to recharge not only my phone but also my tablet and digital camera. Maybe one of you has a good idea what to get?
          Take care!

Comment

Super cheap, never heard of this site

Comment

I read that the Powertraveller Solarmonkey is pretty good for phones and other rechargeable stuff, anyone here knows if it's any good?

Comment

The solar phone cases are designed to extend your battery life, sometimes up to around 3x normal charge. They aren't really designed for keeping up with a power phone user.

For a portable solution to charging you're really better off getting something like the goal zero, or the powermonkey. I've never tried to the powermonkey, but the goal zero I've used and its awesome. You could probably even strap it to the roof of your ride.

Comment

Working...
                X