• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on new canvas tent

I just bought a somewhat new kodiak flexbow,
    1 yr old but never used and never been wet down,
    Am eager to use it but would like to know the following,
    If i dont wet it down ,
    If it gets wet while camping will it naturally get wet/dry and seal itself up?
    If i wet it in freezing temps will that hamper it sealing itself?
    No warm sunny days expected for quite a while.
    If i take it ice fishing how do i prevent the floor from freezing to the ice?
    While eager to use it dont want to ruin it by not sealing it properly

Re: Question on new canvas tent

Originally posted by terasec View Post
    If i dont wet it down ,
    If it gets wet while camping will it naturally get wet/dry and seal itself up?
    Mine did... (Kodiak 10'x10') wet with dew in the morning, dry by noon, repeat over three or four days. When finally exposed to a real rain, the tent stayed dry inside.
    Phil
    Group: Canvas
    Kodiak 6010 Flex-Bow canvas
    Springbar Outfitter 3 canvas

Comment

Your tent is made of treated canvas, much like a quality tent-trailer. It should stand up to many years of wet weather without issue. The sun and mold/mildew are its main enemies. A once-yearly treatment with this stuff (available at Cabela's) will prevent mildew and extend the life of your treated canvas products:

“People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I would not set it up and wet it down in freezing conditions. Don't know if it will damage it for sure, but I wouldn't chance it. The only thing I can think to keep the floor from freezing would be heating the tent.
        As far as using products to retreat for waterproofing, Kodiak Canvas recommends a SILICONE based waterproofing such as Kiwi Camp Dry. I don't know if Canvak is silicone based or not.
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

thanks for the replies
          figured so,
          but being eager to take it out, but not expecting time/weather to treat it properly had me wishing.
          guess will just have to wait,

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
            I would not set it up and wet it down in freezing conditions. Don't know if it will damage it for sure, but I wouldn't chance it. The only thing I can think to keep the floor from freezing would be heating the tent.
            As far as using products to retreat for waterproofing, Kodiak Canvas recommends a SILICONE based waterproofing such as Kiwi Camp Dry. I don't know if Canvak is silicone based or not.
            You're correct, Canvak is solvent based and while it will waterproof the Kodiak, the factory recommends against it as it will remove the fabric's breathability.
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
            X