Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do you store canvas/fabrics outside?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you store canvas/fabrics outside?

i went to my camp this weekend to find all my canvas ruined with mold,
    i stored it in a large plastic bag, heavy gauge plastic, not a garbage bag.
    yet inside was soaked, condensation?
    i would like to leave some stuff at camp year round, dont want to have to treat it every month
    canvas/blankets/sleeping bags/etc...
    now need ideas on how to store it outside year round

Re: how do you store canvas/fabrics outside?

There are no good ways to store canvas outside because it will absorb moisture. The plastic bag was obviously a bad idea due to condensation. Indoor storage is far superior. Maybe you could build a shed. It could be small and rustic to blend in with board and batten, logs or shiplap.

Comment

Re: how do you store canvas/fabrics outside?

Originally posted by terasec View Post
      i went to my camp this weekend to find all my canvas ruined with mold,
      i stored it in a large plastic bag, heavy gauge plastic, not a garbage bag.
      yet inside was soaked, condensation?
      i would like to leave some stuff at camp year round, dont want to have to treat it every month
      canvas/blankets/sleeping bags/etc...
      now need ideas on how to store it outside year round
      Sorry to hear of your camping gear loss. I assume you are storing in some kind of shed or shelter, and not on the ground or exposed to weather. You will need to keep your gear indoors or else mother nature will reclaim it. Fibers will rot, metal will oxidize, plastics will fade and become brittle. Vermin will steal pieces of it and nest in it. Insects will raid it.

My tent bags are justs breathable material; uncoated nylon and/or cotton/polyester. I don't see any reason to keep a tent in a waterproof bag. For car camping, I even store sleeping bags in netting material bags (mesh laundry bags)

Like PPine says, storing outside is not a good idea. In addition to moisture, mice will drill right through your camping gear whether natural or synthetics
      Last edited by Mike; 11-05-2013, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X