Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a tent site in exchange for volunteer service

Hi, all!
    I am planning an extended trip to the Sedona area, primarily to hike. With somewhat limited resources that make staying in a hotel impossible, I am wondering if anyone knows of local campgrounds (National, State, or Private) that are in need of help, and would exchange a tent site for it. I am a retired electrical/mechanical engineer with excellent handyman capabilities outdoor skills.
    Thanks!
    Frank

Re: Looking for a tent site in exchange for volunteer service

AMMPro, why not just stealth camp or primitive camp in a National or state forest where (primitive) camping is free?

Comment

I'm a hot shower, flush toilet kind of camper...

Comment

I have been calling every phone number I can locate, trying to connect with someone who might be in charge of such programs, in vain. If anyone has a contact name and/or phone number, please tell me. Thanks. Frank

Comment

Will do. Thanks.

Comment

"Most, if not all, of the campground host jobs will be in campgrounds that have hot showers and flush toilets. The more backcountry campgrounds that have pit toilets and no showers are usually smaller and don't have a host."

Could you define back country? None of the BLM campgrounds I know of around here have showers, toilets or even running water and quite a few have hosts. Been to quite a few forest campgrounds in ID, MT that have no flush toilets or hot showers and they all had hosts and were not what I would consider "back country."

Comment

Most of the ones here in the Colorado Rocky Mountains have vault toilets, no showers and campground hosts as well. The mountains are kind of hard to put any pipes in the ground.....
              Nights camped in 2019: 24
              Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Hogsnapper, you are a damned genius - again. That is a great idea to be a campground host or better yet to get a paying job as a Forestry Technician. The idea should be obvious, but I forgot all about it.

I suppose that the question might be availability of those postions, but if your direction and timing is flexible, you should be able to get a gig as campground host at either a state or national campground.

In Wisconsin, the state campgrounds have campground hosts and showers. Many/most(all?) of the National Forests campgrounds here do not have showers, but they DO have campground hosts.

Another is to be a host at a lighthouse or other historic site. I know that a lot of the old lighthouse tender's homes are used for tours and these are occupied by civilian "hosts" who get to stay in these cool homes, but they are required to give tours during the day. A lot of them are remote enough that they don't get too much traffic.
                Last edited by Mike; 08-14-2013, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Thanks, everyone!
                  I made contact with someone in the Federal system, and there is interest. So, I may land something!
                  Frank

Comment

GOOD for you!

Comment

Excellent. Very Cool. Nice suggestion, Hogsnapper. Good action taken, Frank.

Comment

Working...
                      X