National Park Service prepares for sequester cuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Park Service prepares for sequester cuts

:(Have you gone to a National Park recently what have you seen in the way of Sequester Cuts?
    :(

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...-cuts/1979597/

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...ational-parks/
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Re: National Park Service prepares for sequester cuts

Only the gov't could be faced with 2.8% budget cuts and have to close services down. And with incoming revenue to the Treasury at an all time high! Serves us right I guess for not agreeing to much higher taxes than we have already agreed to. When will we learn that all money belongs to gov't?
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

The White House is a National Park. I buy the wooden W.H. Easter eggs to support the annual egg roll on the south lawn and as a nod to growing up outside of D.C. where the painted eggs were kind of a big deal each year for a little kid.

From USA Today -
      Some ticket recipients had worried that the egg roll might be canceled, either because of sequestration -- the series of automatic budget cuts that led to the cancellation of White House public tours -- or the threat of a government shutdown.
      But Congress and the White House struck a short term budget deal last week, and Obama administration officials said the egg roll was never subject to the sequester.
      The National Park Service, which organizes the event, says it's largely funded by sales of commemorative wooden eggs, as well as some private donations.

It would be nice if more National Parks did something similar
      - Laura
      Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

I love many of the nat parks. And hope to one day visit the big parks out west.
        But nps has a lot of really useless sites that could be cut.
        Such as first wives national site. Really need a nat park dedicated to the first wives?
        New orleans jazz site.
        I went there a few years ago and had a great time. Bought a cd of the rangers band.
        Still brings back good memories. But if can't afford it is a jazz office worth keeping open? That office alone probably had 5-10 rangers running it. Band alone was 5.
        Another site I enjoyed was frank lloyd wright house.
        Is such a house really worth making a nat park?
        I would rather see such sites be scaled down to help save sites more dedicated to preserving natural sites.

Comment

They are trying to 'make it hurt' for the public. Even if the parks are open, the lack of service and maintenance will have them looking ragged in awhile. I remember some twelve or fourteen years ago, the Fed.Gov shut down many areas and laid off a lot of park employees, and the parks suffered.
          Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
            I love many of the nat parks. And hope to one day visit the big parks out west.
            But nps has a lot of really useless sites that could be cut.
            Such as first wives national site. Really need a nat park dedicated to the first wives?
            New orleans jazz site.
            I went there a few years ago and had a great time. Bought a cd of the rangers band.
            Still brings back good memories. But if can't afford it is a jazz office worth keeping open? That office alone probably had 5-10 rangers running it. Band alone was 5.
            Another site I enjoyed was frank lloyd wright house.
            Is such a house really worth making a nat park?
            I would rather see such sites be scaled down to help save sites more dedicated to preserving natural sites.
            Those are the sites that should be run like the White House NP for events- funded by commemorative sales and private donations. It is why PBS has annoying campaign drives.

And yes, they are worth preserving and worth being National Parks, imho.
            - Laura
            Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

The whole sequester boondogle is a farce. How are we supposed to believe that we can spend trillions of dollars on bogus foreign wars fighting an enemy with only hand-held weapons on camels and we can't afford to maintain our basic services at home?

The whole thing is a public relations farce.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
                They are trying to 'make it hurt' for the public. Even if the parks are open, the lack of service and maintenance will have them looking ragged in awhile. I remember some twelve or fourteen years ago, the Fed.Gov shut down many areas and laid off a lot of park employees, and the parks suffered.
                I remember the bad old days in the early 1980's when the Parks Service was cut. Hiking trails were not maintained and drifted into deer trails that you could get lost in for days.

Food bridges fell to ruin.

It was a sad mess and so unnecessary. I would rather cut back on the gigantic out-of-control military spending and put it where the American people can use it such as our National Parks or maybe, just maybe, let us keep some of the money we earn.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  The whole sequester boondogle is a farce. How are we supposed to believe that we can spend trillions of dollars on bogus foreign wars fighting an enemy with only hand-held weapons on camels and we can't afford to maintain our basic services at home?

The whole thing is a public relations farce.
                  Sorry, only laughing at your description. My cousin was in-country in Afghanistan as of late 2012, sending me aeriels of incoming ballistic missles with outstanding accuracy, camels not included. Some of his "hut" neighbors came home in boxes...That said, you're very much right on regarding the "boondoggle". This was the president's idea after all nd he threatened to veto any changes at inception, but now we see it's all about blaming the 'Publican bad guys now and through the 2014 election...Here in San Diego County, totally a "military town", you can see the ravages of the President's cuts to defense, we haven't seen 3 carriers at once at anchor in the bay until just this week!!! The overspending is nowhere near defense, that's the KoolAid they serve us, it's locked up in non-discretionary spending for Medicare and Social Security, even more bloated than ever with fraud and corruption, but nobody wants to go there for fear of rocking the boat and getting the long knives up your... backside...Kindof' makes me nostalgic for Dick Nixon, a guy who knew hot to deal with commie thugs...
                  Last edited by tplife; 04-06-2013, 12:49 AM.
                  “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                  ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Excuse me, TPLife, but you speak of the "Ravages of the Military Cuts"??? Are you serious - ravages???. No cuts have been implimented on the USA military and the only cuts they are talking about is cuts in expediture GROWTH, not real cuts.

You can laugh at my description of the USA vs the Taliban, but we are talking about the biggest and most sophisticated war machines in the history of the world vs. a tiny and almost insignificant enemy that can hardly be called a "military" with no air-force, no navy, no tanks, and no transport capable of carrying over four ton. We have been at it for over ten years and have spent trillions of dollars (that's TRILLIONS as in one trillion equals a thousand billion as in a million millions in a trillion), thousands of USA military casualties, hundreds of thousands of civilian casualties, and we still haven't finished the job. All in all, not very impressive. If we had the same dismal results in WWII, we would all be speaking Japanese or German by now.

These wars have just been an excuse to further bloat our over-sized military. The USA need look no further to solve our budget problems than to look at our military industrial complex.

Comment

Working...
                    X