Fly Fishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly Fishing?

I am currently in the market for a fly fishing "outfit" :confused:. I have always wanted to learn how to fly fish and I was wondering if this set up would be a good place to start:

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.a...ubcat_id=23819

I have never fly fished(?) before and I have only done a limited amount of research on the subject. I don't really get out to fish as much as I'd like to but I think learning something new would give me the motivation to get back on the water.

I know (or think I know) that the length of the rod and weight of the line are sort of species specific but can also depend on wind, fly weight and all of that strange specialty stuff I don't understand yet.

I would mostly be fishing lakes and small to medium sized rivers and streams specifically for trout and bass. I don't think there is any place to fish for salmon around here but it would be nice to have a set up to accommodate all three if possible.

Also, I'm sort of having trouble understanding how backing, leaders and tippet play their part in the whole thing as these (besides leaders) are new terms to me.

I think my main questions are: what set up would be good for me as a beginner (but a quick learner) AND what is the absolute minimum that I would need to actually get out on the water and fish/practice.

Budget wise, I would probably be willing to spend around $350 MAX.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Fly Fishing?

Oh man... The Tenkara rods are sweet! I just watched a video and now I definitely want one, lol. That looks perfect for small stream fishing and even something my girlfriend could get into. Packs really small too. ***** you had to throw the wrench, didn't you? :p

Thanks for the tips, HS. (and the wrench!)

Comment

Re: Fly Fishing?

We love to fly fish. We started out with the cheap set and it did just fine until we decided that we would like to buy some better quality equipment. If you buy some shoes, make sure you don't buy the ones with felt. Fly fishing isn't as hard as it looks, give it try, you'll probably like it.
      May you always have love to share,
      Health to spare
      And friends that care.

Comment

Working...
      X