No announcement yet.

Grilling Tips: Off Topic but On, oh my!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grilling Tips: Off Topic but On, oh my!

Howdy,

Food should be completely thawed before cooking!

Marinating meat by soaking for several hours in refrigerator will break down the cellular structure of the meat. This tenderizes meat and decreases cooking time! Marinating can be done by injection, but I don't do it! Sure, it is for quick flavoring and allows one to cook immediately and is more convenient, I just don't do it.

Use tongs or a spatula instead of a fork when turning meat. Some of the natural juices will be lost(forever) if the meat is pierced!

Use naturally lean meats, trim excess fat from steaks, and remove skin from poultry unless the directions tell you differently.

Add some soaked wood chips(Mesquite) to the bottom of your grill for different flavors!

For the best results, wipe cooking surface of your grill with a light coat of oil to help continue to build the patina.

I recommend using lean cuts of meat and trimming excess fat from meat to reduce the chance of flare ups.

If a flare up does occur, reduce heat and place lid on grill, duh! Again I add use lean cuts, unless you like the result of fats!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Good advice! A great all-purpose marinade is an off-the-shelf bottle of Italian Dressing. And, of course, for skirt steak a combination of fresh-squeezed lemon and lime juice can't be beat.

Probably the best grilling tip I know, though, is when you take the meat off the grill, wrap it up in tinfoil and let it sit for 20 or 30 minutes. This makes a huge difference - give it a try!

Comment

A local "Grillmeister" here, who has a truck-towed cooker (makes his own!) and does various church and parade functions - he uses the 'slow cook' method - fairly low heat for some five to six hours. Hickory wood is preferred, along with oak, and adding apple for more flavoring.
      Last year, I had him do the meat cooking for our Motorcycle Meet in January, and have him on call for this next one too! The riders LOVED his cookery.
      He also uses the tinfoil wrap technique to preserve the juices.

Last Meet, it was cold and raining - still, John and his assistant (my shooting buddy Keith) stood at their posts, making sure the meal was cooked to perfection! Gotta love a dedicated Grillmeister! :D
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Grilling tips

Howdy Scrib,

Thats some good advice also, what you said!
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Working...
        X