Engine Driven Off-roading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Driven Off-roading

Yes, I know there is a sister site for this, but if some of you are like me, you may not want to join another forum. I am a contributing member to several forums, and have not the time or desire to deal with another.

So, I think this thread should cover not only off-roading for the purposes of camping, but also for the sake of enjoyment. Post questions, tips, areas you like to go to, or anything else you want about driving on those trails some of us love so much.

I am not a hard core wheeler, but I know my way around a trail and can get my truck where most people wouldn't think it could go. My Ford Excursion rides on 35" tires and 18" wheels, so I have pretty good ground clearance. The beast is powered by the awesome Triton V10 engine, so I have power to spare, especially when I dial in one of my semi-custom computer tunes.

I will try to take more pics of the beast on the trail, and of the trails themselves. I seem to get so wrapped up in enjoying what I am doing, that pictures seldom cross my mind.

So post it up about your trail experiences, vehicle mods, whoopsies, and whatever else. Motorcycles and quads are included as well.
    Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Re: Engine Driven Off-roading

It's not a bad idea to start this thread. I just purchased a Toyota FJ cruiser to replace my Corvette daily driver. I hope to use the FJ as my "camping mobile". I will still stick with tent camping, although I might try to design and build a bed platform for when the weather turns atrocious. I know nothing about off road driving or good places to visit with my new ride, so I would appreciate any good ideas or suggestions. Preferably in the Southeast to start (GA,SC,NC,TN)

Comment

I think the first tip I will contribute is: When you aren't sure of what the trail is doing.... get out and walk it until you are. Or have a ground guide ahead of you.

Life is a verb.

Comment

Originally posted by HogSnapper
        silverz51: try to find a local FJ group in your area. They will almost certainly have monthly or quarterly trail rides where you can go in a convoy of 10 to 20 rigs and explore the backroads and you'll learn all about offroading and the best part is you'll have lots of other FJ's around to pull you out when you're stuck - plus you'll meet some of the finest people in the world.
        That's a good idea HS, I have already joined an FJ forum and I am looking into possibilities. Personally, I am more comfortable with a few people than in huge gatherings, but for sure I want to go with a group if Im going to try going off road. It seems that it would not be wise to try such adventures alone, specially being a total novice at it.

Comment

Originally posted by immortal_ben View Post
          I think the first tip I will contribute is: When you aren't sure of what the trail is doing.... get out and walk it until you are. Or have a ground guide ahead of you.
          I have a question for you, what tire pressure do you use?

Comment

For anything mild to medium difficulty, I use the same tire pressure that I do on a paved road. I run my tires at about 62psi, front and rear. For anything beyond that, I have gone down to 30psi. With such a heavy truck, I do not want to go too low and bust my bead.

Life is a verb.

Comment

Which brings up the point: 1st thing to install is a good compressor so you can air up easily.

Without the compressor on board, people hesitate to air down because of the hassle of refilling the tires. Low pressure makes for a more comfortable ride. Plus if you do bust a bead you will need it.

need pics on this thread.

-johnny.

Comment

This is very interesting and quite an education for me. I have just recently discovered that the pressure recommended in the vehicle sticker or tag (if you can find it), seems to be too low according to some people who seem to know what they are taking about. A lot of people seem to get good results by keeping their tires pumped up to near the maximum pressure listed in the sidewall of the tire!
                This is generally 25%~100% higher than the recommended pressure by the vehicle manufacturer (depending on the tire's maximum pressure rating)... But it makes a lot of sense, specially for highway driving and fuel economy, as well as tire life.
                I've also read that in many cases it's good to "air down" for off road traction. And in case of sand driving, some experts suggest going down to as low as 10 psi or less to get out of trouble, and they pump them back up once you are out of the sand.
                I guess carrying a good 12V compressor (along with a tire patch kit) might not be a bad idea......

Comment

Originally posted by HogSnapper
                  Don't air down too far or you'll break the bead on your tire. If that happens you'll need a very strong compressor or compressor with storage tank in order to get the bead back on the rim.

Airing down below 20psi is definitely an advanced technique. A lot of the folks that routinely air down that far use rims with beadlocks and/or carry an air tank (mini scuba tank) that can deliver the pressure and volume of air necessary to push the tire bead back against the rim if the bead breaks.
                  Good advise! it would be easy to assume that any compressor could air up a tire without considering the bead break factor....
                  Last edited by silverz51; 10-18-2011, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Keep in mind that bead locks are illegal for street use in most places. For normal trails that most people go on, there really is no reason to air down tires. For those who drive on sand, yeah I would air down as far as possible without popping the bead.

Applying the right amount of accelerator and/or brake at the proper time will allow one to retain more traction, and drive through more terrain than many people think possible.

Life is a verb.

Comment

Nothing but great advise from HS and IB! Thanks guys for posting up and starting this thread!
                      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I am revisiting an idea I had given up as impractical of taking my old truck in a real road trip into Mexico and perhaps further South. Now that I have the FJ Cruiser, it might actually be a workable adventure. I wonder if anybody in these forums has driven much South of the border, specially with a bit of off-roading experience.
                        A bit closer to home, I would like some knowledge about off road driving in the Western States. When I drove my Corvette Through OK, TX, NM & AZ, I did not have the opportunity to explore anything less smooth than the asphalt (I did take a couple of gravel roads to get to overlooks but it was pretty awful). How does one find where to go off the main roads and explore/camp out?

Comment

Thanks HS! great post, lots of good info.

Comment

Man, I cant add anything to that great post by HogSnapper. That was great info.

What I can do is say that when you decide on the area you want to go, you can download and print truly outstanding free maps at http://mapper.acme.com/

I use this site for my maps when I go out hunting. There are many types of views to choose from, and it shows everything down to two-track fire roads.

Life is a verb.

Comment

Next tip: Slow means go.

Do not go so fast that you lose your traction. There are exceptions, of course, but slow is the general rule.

Life is a verb.

Comment

Working...
                              X