A Big Thankyou Goes to Hurricane Irene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Big Thankyou Goes to Hurricane Irene

......for putting a halt on my very first camping trip with my daughter. Yeah...you know the one I've been planning all summer...the one I've spent all summer buying equipment for...the one I've spent my summer getting myself educated for. Yeah, that one. Unless you change your track PDQ, you have ruined the one thing I've been looking forward to all summer. THANKS A BUNCH! :mad:

Re: Big Thank you goes out to Hurricane Irene.......

Yes...I am a little bitter. Sorry for the vent.

Comment

Plan for a backyard trip if possible. I think your daughter will still get a kick out it. Maybe use a firepit for a campfire.

Comment

What state / area were you planning to go to?
        Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Not possible...we live less than a hour from our camping spot. I could probably change our reservation for the next 3 day weekend...October. Colder and not in the same area...not quite as fun for the kid, you know. We had plans...and things to do based on location. Seems everytime I am looking forward to something it gets busted. We are bummed...big time.

Comment

Re: A Big Thankyou Goes to Hurricane Irene

Your thread has been moved to "Off Topic" sure everyone who lives on the East Coast is bummed, but there are alot of members that live on the West Coast and cental US. We all empathize with you but Off Topic is where a complaint of this type belongs. Stay safe everyone!
            Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
            Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

You must be further up the coast. We here in sunny Florida are expecting very little from Irene. She seems to be wanting a Carolinas Vacation....... :rolleyes:

Sorry the Big Trip got messed up though...... nobody can ever tell about the weather.
              Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

=) Thanks Reno

@ Glitter... we were camping in SE Mass. The campground will be shut down for the storm.=(

Comment

You were planning to be there a week, right? Or just the week-end? If for the week, be packed up and ready to go as soon as the storm passes . It's usually glorious weather right after a hurricane. (I hope to scoot out of work & head down the ocean for a few hours.)

Comment

We were only going for a long weekend. I think I'm going to look into Columbus day weekend. It will be cooler but a lot more comfy for biking/hiking and such.

Comment

Sorry your trip was canceled.

Look at the positive side. It's better to know now before you take all the time to pack up, travel, and set up camp. If you had done all that work and needed to take it all down and go home, you would have been more than really bummed out.

While I enjoyed our day and a half without rain earlier this month, I would've preferred to have stayed home. We could've done day hiking trips with a lot less aggravation.
                      "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
                      ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

Well, thanks to Irene, I've spent two days on a spree - cleaning, organizing, and extreme de-cluttering. All my camping gear is organized. I re-arranged a storage spot adjacent to my kitchen to put my gear there instead of in my living room.

In addition, all my camping gear, especially the "10 Essentials" were ready for the electricity being out. All is well now; safe & sound; and a very productive week-end.

Comment

Well, Miss Irene proved to be far less a monster than was feared. Eight or nine deaths so far, billions in damages - but she hiked up her skirt and stepped on out right smartly - did not sit anywhere long. That makes a big difference in flooding levels. Wind speed died down quickly once she left The South - that really helped too.
                          The campgrounds, and their roads, may be soggy for awhile. Take it carefiul out there!
                          Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Thanks you guys. I will admit that my camping prep. kept us in the light (all bat. operated which I would not have had otherwise), and all the frozen milk gallons of water I had on hand kept my freezer and frig cold through the 3 days of no power. We....Lexi and I are thinking about Columbus Day weekend...we'll see! If not, then I guess I'm ready for next year. =)

Comment

Working...
                            X