#%&*@#! Computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #%&*@#! Computers

I'll admit it, haven't put up much for photos with my posts lately, the PC has been down for a couple of weeks so I'm on the laptop standby, it's grueling in comparison to a good PC. Two years ago I bought a ZT systems computer with an intel Quad 9300 from Costco, once at home, I found it had a way-too-small power supply for my uses, of course no video card, only one fan, etc., so put in another $150, and then yet another video card a year later, then it all freezes up last month and still freezing and dumping after the full reinstall. Turns out a motherboard memory controller went bad, and it was never a "good" board choice anyway. Had to bite the bullet, but I've gone back to home-built as my first home-built computer lasted more than twice as long as off-the-shelf one did. The PCs on sale in the big-box stores give you a half-decent CPU on a mediocre motherboard running (if any) a lowball graphics card. I've shopped Fry's Electronics, Office Depot, Costco, etc. and they all sell a pretty disappointing component setup for what they charge you. I saved about 30% by building my own system, and I didn't cut those corners. The next time you see "high end" PC system in the store, write down the components and use these charts to be sure:
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

ASUS P67 Pro (Cougar Point) motherboard (bought an MSI P67A first and got burned with bad Ferrite Chokes, returned it for this ASUS, due to the high-pitched squeal upon kernal loading, a common quality issue)
    INTEL i5 2500K CPU, 3.3 Ghz unlocked, Sandy Bridge architecture
    Western Digital Black Caviar Sata3 1TB hard drive
    1TB Seagate hard drive for storage
    LG 22X DVD burner
    Thermaltake 600w Power Supply
    Thermaltake V4 case
    2 X 4 GB memory sticks
    Logitech Wave wireless keyboard
    Logitech wireless mouse
    RADEON 5770 Video Card
    Extra 120mm Stealth Fan

Upgraded from Vista 64 bit to Windows 7 64 bit

Next upgrade is a Thermatake Frio air cooler so I can run the unlocked 2500K CPU overclocked day in and day out at 4.5 Ghz. :cool:

Thermaltake V4 case/PSU:

Asus P67 Pro mobo:

Last edited by tplife; 05-06-2011, 01:37 PM.
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Re: #%&*@#! Computers

I commend you on building it yourself. I used too do the same thing, fun and awesome to run what I was doing at the time, mainly gaming. For me now an out of the box iMac does everything I need and does it well. Congrats on the new system.
    Los Cuernos Ranch on Facebook

Comment

Dell is ma friend, LOL!
      I figure out how much power and memory I need, what I'm gonna use the system for (sooo not a gamer) and let them do it. Paid less than 1K for a laptop and about to be obsolete as a concept desktop (minus the monitor) that meets all my needs, for work and play.

I've a self building puter neighbor in my bldg ( an honest to goodness retired rocket scientist),who still has pics downloaded to his system he canna pull up until he spends another 1K on his system.... I just smile at him....

Admirable, that in the 21st century, you're self building.
      When the revolution comes, we'll all be clamoring at yer door.
      Last edited by NYCgrrl; 05-06-2011, 09:32 PM.
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I would have bought off the shelf like last time, but I've gone back to homebuilds after having been burned. We buy Dell products at the Institute and they're more overpriced than the stuff at the big-box stores, but that's another story. I've downloaded my printer drivers and antivirus software, and I must say, not having to wait around for 10 minutes for download and install to finish is nice. And I couldn't make a dent in the time by running several programs at once! Very happy with Windoes 7 Ultimate 64-bit also. We're not gamers, but we watch video and like being able to multi-task with out lag, that's where the graphics card and cpu shine. The graphics performance was noticeably different from my old 5570 Diamond and steller play and detail from some SVGA video I've shot on vacations. I like having 2TB of storage as well.
        Last edited by tplife; 05-09-2011, 01:52 PM.
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
        X