Geocaching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geocaching

Does anyone GeoCache while they are camping? I just started this weekend and have found it very enjoyable. Basically someone one goes out and hides a "Cache" and then uploads the coordinates to the "Cache" on a geocaching website. Plus they can give hints, etc. Kinda like a high tech treasure hunt. I know my 4 year old daughter and some neighborhood kids enjoyed it.

Re: Geocaching

Me and my kids have done it for years now. We were among the first to start in my area. I even had the local paper do an article on me back in 04 i think. We loved it for several years but have not been very active lately. Work, school, and being a single father have really put the crimp on hobbies. What I found was when Geocaching really took off in my area it seemed the quality of caches went down hill fast. We had people that just threw them out, quite literally, with no thought for placement and no regard for the spirit of Geocaching. Caches would be findable only a couple times before they were destroyed by unsuspecting people due to poor placement and consideration. When we do go camping I load a few in the GPS and me and my kiddos enjoy a good hunt. Very fun and it gets you out and about where you might not normally go.
    Los Cuernos Ranch on Facebook

Comment

Hmmm, I hadn't thought about that. Thanks for the idea. Another fun thing to add to my list while in the Outdoors.

I do Orienteering; either as a formal event or on a permanent course. I'm addicted to it, so I probably would like geocaching too. (On almost all of my camping trips, I do some sort of activity, whether hiking, biking, or orienteering.)
      Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

We've been into geocaching for about 5 years. I also bring my gps with me when we go camping. I do a little research beforehand and try to find some really nice caches. I like the ones that take you to neat places that you would have never found otherwise.
        May you always have love to share,
        Health to spare
        And friends that care.

Comment

This go me to thinking I hadn't logged onto my Geocaching membership in a year or so. I logged in and I have been a member since 05-02-03, wow, LOL. None the less I built a pocket query and loaded 15 new caches that I plan on finding today. Thanks for re sparking an interest in a great hobby.
          Los Cuernos Ranch on Facebook

Comment

Working...
          X