Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Career Choices?

Hey guys,

I need some help... I'm 26 and I need to choose a career now... I'm still going to college but I'm not really going for any particular reason besides the fact that society tells me to go and that I know it will benefit me. So... please tell me what career to choose...

I'd like to make about 60K
    Have weekends and holidays off...
    and be able to go on vacation/camping a lot...

any outdoor careers???
    Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
    USMC Retired
    Scout/Sniper

The IT field might be a possibility - are you computer savvy? Tech schools and community colleges have IT courses. That's how I began. BUT.... I am a State Employee, making just over half your target paycheck.......

Stay away from Real Estate..... you CAN make $60,000, but you'll work like a dog doing it, and have NO time off. Just ask my buddy...... :D
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
      The IT field might be a possibility -
      Ya... not interested in IT at all... haha!
      Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
      USMC Retired
      Scout/Sniper

Comment

So, being a photographer must be out of the question too, then? Most weddings are shot on Saturdays, a few on Sundays. Long hours meeting with clients. If you have quality photos and galleries accept you then there are openings and signings which normally occur on Saturdays. Hours upon hours working on websites and long lonily nights working on images. When I was working at the test site, everyday I was on the road at 4:30 AM and returned to Vegas by 7 PM. It was a 90 minute commute each way everyday and then weddings on weekends. Thought about being a photographer?:D:D

Eaglebait has a great idea about working at a national park. They are always looking for the out-of-doors kind of man. too! Just a thought.
        Last edited by renodesertfox; 10-19-2010, 02:55 AM.
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

What do you like to do? What are you good at? Do you want to work alone or with a group? Are you good with your hands, numbers, people?

Comment

The "annual" money isn't there, but I worked for school districts for 25 years, first as a h.s. bus driver, then 14 years as an elementary school teacher - Alternative Ed.

I had summers off, and enough time off in the winter to ski. I spent 10 of those summers working in Yosemite Valley - just so I could spend my summers in Yosemite (day hikes and backpacking). An employee quickly learns how to avoid the tourists and have a great summer. Yosemite isn't the only park out there to work in and enjoy over the summer - and get paid at the same time.

With summers off, and school holidays off, I had all the time I wanted to spend with my daughter - something I will always remember.

That's my two cents...........
            Chuck
            So. Oregon
            TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
            TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
            SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebait Ranch View Post
              The "annual" money isn't there, but I worked for school districts for 25 years, first as a h.s. bus driver, then 14 years as an elementary school teacher - Alternative Ed.

I had summers off, and enough time off in the winter to ski. I spent 10 of those summers working in Yosemite Valley - just so I could spend my summers in Yosemite (day hikes and backpacking). An employee quickly learns how to avoid the tourists and have a great summer. Yosemite isn't the only park out there to work in and enjoy over the summer - and get paid at the same time.

With summers off, and school holidays off, I had all the time I wanted to spend with my daughter - something I will always remember.

That's my two cents...........
              And there's a program specifically for vets to go into teaching. http://www.proudtoserveagain.com/

Have you looked into GS jobs?
              May you always have love to share,
              Health to spare
              And friends that care.

Comment

My father worked for a telecom company back in Canada for years (not as a linesman, but as a lead tech) and they used to ride the rails into the back country to get to remote microwave repeaters towers and such. You get to be outside, get paid to do it, and then get to scout out places others never really would think of going to. Just a thought.

Comment

Good luck in this economy...but whatever you decide on, may sure it is something you have a passion for or it will turn into a daily grind.

Comment

Richard,

How about working for the Parks or Forest Service. I'm not sure what they make though. I had a friend in high school go into that and the last time I talk to him he loves it. He a Ranger in one of the National Forests here in Colorado.
                    JohnJohn
                    ---------
                    Forum Admin

Comment

Careers

As far as the Park Service...try this http://www.usajobs.gov/ There are other options available, such as www.workingcouples.com This will give you some options

Comment

Re: Career Choices?

I work for the Forest Service here in AZ. It is definitely a great career and you get pretty decent pay also once you work your way up the ladder

I'd be happy to share information if you'd like.

Comment

Whatever the job is, make sure it cannot be shipped oversea's or taken over by a group of non-english speaking workers. I told my step son to start working with animals. Those horse people seem to have lots of money and are willing to spend it to train the horses.

Comment

well you have some great ideas here so i'll talk about other things. I decided years ago that not having holidays and weekends off was a great thing for me.
                            I split the weekends and had Sundays and Mondays off with Tuesdays as my choice for a long weekend when needed. The reason was I had the camp grounds to myself, and I did not drive in the weekend traffic leaving town or coming back. The only thing important was time off. So I see that you need time for your passions like camping and photography and some range time. One more thing once you make your decision and start down a training path you can always make adjustments for direction. good luck
                            let us know what you decide
                            2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD Crewcab
                            2004 Rockwood Freedom 1640 LTD
                            I am not lost, I am here

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

Comment

I work in Geographic Information Systems (mapping) and my job meets all of your requirements. The college courses aren't all that hard and there are plenty of jobs all over the nation/world. I would highly reccomend this field. If you want to go the hard way, take GIS and computer programming classes. The guys with that background make the most money in our field but the programming part is not completely necessary.

Comment

Working...
                              X