Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Skelton Home

Last week wife and I made a trip I have always wanted to make. To
    Vincennes Indiana. A three hour drive give or take a few minutes from our door.
    Vincennes is the home of a gentleman I knew from the radio for as long as I can remember. Red Skelton. Wife had added reason to go because her aunt Hilda grew up next door to Skelton. Hilda fondly recalled he would come to visit and they would sit on here front porch and eat peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches.
    An empty lot seperates the Skelton home from the University of Vincennes and its new Red Skeltom museum faces his home to the north.
    Sadly the museum at this pount only consist of a a lobby exhibit and gift shop. A large beautiful room nearly empty is behing the shoppe.
    Donations are slow and raising money (in this economy is even slower.). The remainded is used for media and entertainment classes.
    Also there is a small theatre with three tiers of balconies. This is used frequently for aspiring entertainers, media classes and lectures.
    After a day there and visiting the museum and the George Rogers Clark memorial just down the street.
    (The conquest of Fort Sackville by Clark and his raiders is another story.) George Rogers Clark was the older brother of William Clark of Louis&Clark fame.
    Found a county park, outside town sitting above the Wabash river.
    Quabache (Indian word meaning Wabash) Campgrounds.
    Next day drove to Mount Vernon on the Ohio river. Once famous for its Grits Mill. On hot summer evenings the aroma was staggering.
    Spent sometime as a youth there. Great town. Many good memories. Was 3,000 souls then. Now over 7,000. Growing now.
    Then as now Mount Vernon was also known for its oil refinery.
    Farm Bureau Indiana has its own supply from wells in Kentucky, Illinois and southern Indiana.
    Use only their product when possible. Which is nearly always.
    State has a nice park in New Harmony just north of Mount Vernon.
    Overnighted there.
    New Harmony was created as a religious Utopia. One No No was
    marriage and that explains its fate.
    Departed on monday and returned friday. Tired but happy.

Something from Red
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPbIls0iOnI
    Last edited by angler57; 09-22-2010, 05:14 AM.

I used to love watching Skelton on tv all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Christn2000 View Post
      I used to love watching Skelton on tv all the time.
      He and the other funny fellas of that time were very funny without being rude or crude. Not like today.
      Red sure was a great fella.

Comment

Red was a class act, for sure! I loved his show.
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Red Skelton was my favorite.
          2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD Crewcab
          2004 Rockwood Freedom 1640 LTD
          I am not lost, I am here

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

Comment

Angler, my aunt Maribeth loved Skelton in her youth, and when her children were out of the house, her husband took her to a Skelton (art?) show where she met him and bought one of his paintings. She will always cherish it.
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Red's one of the greats.

Comment

Re: Red Skelton Home

Is it the one with Freddy the Free-Loader? Wasn't that a christmas special?

Comment

Working...
                X