Death Valley - December

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death Valley - December

Susan and I are entertaining going to Death Valley over Christmas. Anyone got any experience being there then, where to go, visit, hike, backpack, etc?
    Chuck
    So. Oregon
    TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
    TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
    SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

It's crowded! Mostly RVs. There is one campground(Mesquite) available for tents only but any fire in any firering is prohibited. Nice and warm days, very cold nights! Scotty's Castle is a must see and hiking in the Mesquite Dunes is nice.
    Dante's View another must see!

Primitive camping is great, just need a back-country permit...a good 4x4 vehicle and plenty water! The far north end of the Valley accessible by pavement from Big Pine, CA then it turns in to a dirt road which is labeled "Death Valley Road". It's the back road to Ubehebe Crater and you can camp anywhere along that road. But once you cross into the national park boundaries, free dispersed camping is over. There are a couple of hidden waterfalls too that are great places to camp, just outside the park borders. But you gotta have 4x4 and know how to walk boulders with tires(the original 49ers that got stuck there never found these waterfalls). They were discovered last century! JohnJohn(JJ) knows how to crawl rock real well, though! Good luck!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

This is what it looks like

I went up into Marble Canyon. It was ok. Nothing spectacular I thought but it was pretty sick because you feel like you're driving through a slot. For that particular canyon you just need a high vehicle, no need for 4x4.

When I go back I'll probably check out the South Fork.
      Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
      USMC Retired
      Scout/Sniper

Comment

Originally posted by renodesertfox View Post
        It's crowded! Mostly RVs. There is one campground(Mesquite) available for tents only but any fire in any firering is prohibited. Nice and warm days, very cold nights! Scotty's Castle is a must see and hiking in the Mesquite Dunes is nice.
        Dante's View another must see!

Primitive camping is great, just need a back-country permit...a good 4x4 vehicle and plenty water! The far north end of the Valley accessible by pavement from Big Pine, CA then it turns in to a dirt road which is labeled "Death Valley Road". It's the back road to Ubehebe Crater and you can camp anywhere along that road. But once you cross into the national park boundaries, free dispersed camping is over. There are a couple of hidden waterfalls too that are great places to camp, just outside the park borders. But you gotta have 4x4 and know how to walk boulders with tires(the original 49ers that got stuck there never found these waterfalls). They were discovered last century! JohnJohn(JJ) knows how to crawl rock real well, though! Good luck!
        Bummer......... You might have just talked us out of going: crowds, mostly RVs, 4x4. Don't have or like any of those!:(
        Chuck
        So. Oregon
        TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
        SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebait Ranch View Post
          Bummer......... You might have just talked us out of going: crowds, mostly RVs, 4x4. Don't have or like any of those!:(

The canyon I went down you wouldn't need a 4x4... just a high profile vehicle. A regular truck would work.
          Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
          USMC Retired
          Scout/Sniper

Comment

Re: Death Valley - December

Hey, I just joined the forum, so sorry I'm late to the topic. A buddy and I went to Death Valley on Dec 26th. We had a great trip with nice temps. Did you end up going and if so how was it?
            http://www.overlandadventureoutfitters.com

Comment

Re: Death Valley - December

No we didn't get there. We had to deal with an amazing snow storm as we traveled up hwy 395. We decided to just come home. On the other hand, we leave here (Oregon) March first, and anticipate being in Death Valley around the 10th for 5-7 days.

I'll update you guys then..........
              Chuck
              So. Oregon

Comment

Working...
              X