Just call me "Cookie"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just call me "Cookie"

When the Morning Riser and I head up to Oregon/Washington border, so she can walk the PCT to the Canadian border, I will be her "supply wagon". The immediate request I have is for fresh food for her to eat for the next 2-3 meals in camp, a comfortable bed, and a weather report. So, here is my routine over those 30 days.

I have 4 days from the day she starts pounding trail on the PCT, in Stevenson, Washington until we meet . I will find someplace to trail pound for 2.5 days, getting back to the van on evening 3. Morning four, I will head to the nearest town (grocery store), load up on fresh vittles, find a wifi access to get a 5-10 day weather report, then turn on my car gps so that Gretta can lead me to the quadrants I put in her mind where I am to meet Morning Riser.

When Gretta gets me there, I set up camp, and wait.........

Gretta is the name I gave to the female voice in my Garmin GPS who is continually barking directions to me and often says, "re-calibrating", as I/we continue down the road after a "Turn left, turn left" command. Actually, she has said, "Re-calibrating" enough times I am waiting for her to have an attitude adjustment, her vocabulary adjusting to something NOT "G" rated, saying something like, "Hey, doo-doo brain! How hard was it to turn left back there? I gave you enough notice!" or worse.
    Chuck
    So. Oregon
    TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
    TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
    SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Sounds like my buddy Bob, with his "B#%$ch In The Box" - 'Jeepus'.
    I call her "The Nagagator". :D

When Bob gets off track, Jeepus literally sighs in resignation and frustration - "Recalculating....."
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I keep the voice navigator turned off on mine. Can't stand it.
      May you always have love to share,
      Health to spare
      And friends that care.

Comment

Originally posted by nearlywild View Post
        I keep the voice navigator turned off on mine. Can't stand it.
        Typically, I sent Gretta to la-la land when I am traveling because it isn't that difficult to figure out road signs or whatever. On the other hand, she gets a wake up call when I turn onto some forest roads which in some cases prohibit me from paying attention to other things other than the ruts/rocks in the road. Gretta has come in really handy giving me the distance count down to an approaching forest road I need to take to get to a trailhead - especially when someone has caused the forest road sign/number to disappear so I have no clue if what I am looking at is a driveway of someone who doesn't take kindly to others trespassing on their property, or recognizing the crop they are growing:o.
        Chuck
        So. Oregon
        TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
        TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
        SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Re: Just call me "Cookie"

I guess I'm just to old fashioned. I will not use gps. My car came with it and I had it removed. I can't do back country hiking anymore because 0f health issues.I really miss it though.

Comment

Working...
          X