Bein' a good Host!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bein' a good Host!

We had a CouchSurfer spend 3 nights with us last week. She is from Wisconsin, had never been to any "high" mountains in her 28 years of life, nor seen the Pacific Ocean, but had "camped lots of times", she told us.

Her only request was to visit Crater Lake. Susan and I decided to take her to Crater, then head to Crescent City - driving through more mountains, exploring the Giant Redwood Forest east of Crescent City, and walking the beach after an evening of camping.

As some of you know, Susan and I don't go to designated campgrounds, but look for really private and out of the way "spots" to camp. Our guest got to camp 6 miles down the road from the main highway, then another 4 miles on a forest service road, in the middle of nowhere - but with a spectacular view!

When we parked the van and started setting up camp, we find out that our guest has ONLY camped at designated campgrounds (picnic tables, cook stoves, designated area, and restrooms). "THIS" was a totally foreign experience. She said she didn't have a clue how to p**p without a toilet. So, we showed her how to lean against a rock/tree/whatever and ........

What was really exciting is that we now have a new REAL camper amongst our team. She said she will never think of a designated campground as the first place to camp.
    Chuck
    So. Oregon
    TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
    TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
    SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

You were a great host. I really like the idea of couchsurfing. Once my son is a little older, I want to host people too. How long have you been doing it?
    May you always have love to share,
    Health to spare
    And friends that care.

Comment

Originally posted by nearlywild View Post
      You were a great host. I really like the idea of couchsurfing. Once my son is a little older, I want to host people too. How long have you been doing it?
      Susan and I started with couchsurfing.org in December. We have hosted people from Germany, New Zealand, Israel, Wisc., Iowa, Colorado, Texas, Washington, and N.Y. In November, we will be staying with CS hosts in Melbourne Aus., and twice in Tasmania. One of the hosts in Tasmania owns a sea kayak rental company. He is going to take us out for two nights of ocean coast exploring in kayaks.

When we travel around the US, the middle of Feb through the end of April, we will be staying now and then with CSers - some we have already scheduled. One host, in southern Louisiana, wants to take us backpacking for a couple of nights where a backpacking club he belongs to goes quite often.

We are going to be walking the Swiss Alps next June-July, and I have already made contact with CSers in and around the Alps.

When I have traveled in my van, I have contacted CSers in towns where I wanted to sleep and told them I'm not interested in surfing their couch, but really just wanting permission to park my van in their driveway for the night. I have yet to not be invited into their house for a beer, and/or taken out for pizza. We even have a member of this forum who let me crash in front of his house, and that turned in to a pizza and beer night, too. No, he isn't a CSer, but he and his wife were typical CSer hosts, and I have been given permission to "crash on their curb" any time I am in the area.

What I didn't expect from CSing was the bonds that develop meeting fellow travelers. We are in Facebook/email contact with most of those who we have hosted.

So, yes. Whey you feel you are ready, it is www.couchsurfers.org
      Chuck
      So. Oregon
      TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
      TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
      SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Working...
      X