Knowing the Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knowing the Weather

Susan called me about 11:00am this morning from her car. I was surprised because she was supposed to go "out" yesterday 20 miles, and then "in" those 20 miles to her car, call me, and come home. Her call shouldn't have gotten here until about 4:00pm-5:00pm this afternoon.

We had a nasty/beautiful thunderstorm last night (loud, active). I wondered if it impacted Susan's walk.

She said she was out about 12 miles when she recognized the clouds that were forming, and the speed in which they were forming. She knew a storm was building and it was focusing on where she was. So, she set up her tent, covered and tied down her backpack, took food for the night into her tent, and waited.

I haven't heard the details, but she did tell me she didn't get to sleep until almost midnight because of the pelting hail, thunder an lightening.

I mention this because it is really important to keep an eye out for the weather, and understand how and where weather generates itself from - when trail pounding. To know what to do, and when to do it, can make being caught in storm "prepared" a heck of a lot easier than being caught in a storm "unprepared". Unprepared: finding yourself on a trail along a solid granite face mountain w/o cover or protection of any kind. The trail up Caribou Mtn., in the Trinity Alps, is an 11 mile trail along an almost total granite faced trail. No place to get caught in a thunderstorm.
    Chuck
    So. Oregon
    TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
    TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
    SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Kayaking the big lakes can only say, sound advice for all. And for campers, hikers and watercraft folks as important as life and death.
    Cause it could mean just that if you don't pay attention.
    Well said Eagle.

Comment

Yep, we motorcycle riders keep a close eye on the weather too. I have been known to navigate 'between the blobs' on the weather map online!
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Working...
      X