Another Learning Experience On The Trail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Learning Experience On The Trail

What an experience I had with Billy on a scheduled “over-nighter” up at Deadfall Lakes this last week. The schedule was to leave here Monday evening, return Wednesday afternoon.
    First, I adhere to the philosophy, “I backpack so I can better prepare for the next time I backpack”. Even with 30 years (plus) of backpacking, and a lot of that done by myself, I am still learning. Granted, most of my learning now involves trivial stuff or tweaking what I do now. This overnight trek was truly a big learning exception.
    The plan was for me to take Billy up to Deadfall Lakes trail head Monday evening:
    1. Spend Monday night sleeping in the van at the trail head.
    2. Since he was out of shape, me too, he was carrying a hair under 20 pounds of gear/food total in his packs. Since this was an overnighter, I didn’t need lots of gear anyway.
    3. Leave the next morning for a gentle, cool weather walk to the middle Deadfall Lakes.
    4. I picked this trail/destination because it was only 2.5 miles long, and only had a 250’ elevation gain over the 2.5 miles.
    5. Spend the afternoon relaxing, tossing sticks into the lake for Squeaky to chase, have a good night sleep, take some pictures the next morning, pack up and walk out.
    A perfectly “mapped” out way to have a bit of exercise, see some beautiful high elevation country, and come home with my first of the year “backpack fix”.

Because of the above schedule (1 night out, 2.5 miles of gentle trail, him carrying under 20 pounds of weight, I knew he wouldn’t be stressed, so I didn’t bother to take any cob as an energy supplement for him. Typically, I take enough cob to feed him 2 cups a day for each day we are out.
    Now……………. As Paul Harvey would say, “The rest of the story”:
    We walked in to the lake and had a very relaxing afternoon and evening. Squeaky “found” the lake before I could show it to her, and demanded that we get down there before I had camp set up and start tossing a stick into the lake so she could go fetch it. Not that Squeaky is spoiled, but I adjusted my priorities, picked up a stick, and spent the next half hour tossing the stick into the lake for her to go get. When through, she was plum tuckered out and spend the rest of the day guarding her blanket, which I laid out under a shade tree.

When sunset came into the canyon, I checked Billy to make sure he was not stressed and his lead was not tangled. He was fine. Squeaky was still guarding her blanket, so I knew she was fine. My tent was up, sleeping bag all billowy. Everyone was tucked in for bed.

Sometime in the middle of the night, I woke up hearing a large animal walking around my camp. I thought it odd that Squeaky wasn’t barking, so I looked out my tent to see what was prowling around my campsite. Dang! It was Billy.

I figured the screwed in ground thingy his lead was connected to came out. I figured it would be no problem to go out, pick up the rope lead (25’ long) connected to his halter, and secure him to a tree if needed for the rest of the night. When I got out of the tent, the first thing I noticed was the lead was not to be seen. I was walking around free. The night was a bit overcast, very little light; there was no way I was going to go out there and try to catch him in the dark. I would look for him in the morning.

When I woke up at dawn (5:30), I got up, dressed, ate a cracker, grabbed the lead, and headed out to find (and hopefully catch) him. I spotted him over a short uphill knoll, to the east of me, about 100 yards away, munching in a grassy area. I walked in his direction, walking in a counter clockwise sweep so that I could get uphill of him, and try to work him back to the lower elevation of the camp, and try to corner him in an area I knew he would be trapped in.

For almost 2 hours, we played this zigzag game of him wanting to go uphill (probably not wanting to go back to camp), and me walking with him laterally, trying to get him to go down hill – or even letting me get close enough to reach for his halter. The command I use when I am putting his saddle and packs on, “Stand” he was totally ignoring.

Over this two hour process, I am also going over alternative options of what to do. I figured that there were huge patches of beautiful, green grassy meadows in the immediate area, so he probably wouldn’t leave the area. Llamas also will go back to where they spent the last night, if lost. So, I figured he would stay in the area if I left camp set up.
    My plan was to take all non-essential items in camp, load them in one of the saddle bags, walk the saddle bag, Squeaky, and me, out to the trail head. I figured it might take me two days to find/catch Billy, so I wanted to come back with cob (as bait to catch him) and enough food for me and Squeaky for two days. I had only brought enough food for me and squeaky through lunch that second day.

So, I put my sleeping bag and warmer clothes in my tent, left my stove, fuel, utensils, and other stuff I needed, filled up one of the panniers with stuff I didn’t need, loaded up my day pack with stuff to pack out, and started walking west, down the trail to the truck.
    Do you understand that Billy was about 50 yards north and about 150 yards EAST of my campsite, and the trail out was 30-40 yards north, and going WEST of my campsite? I’m heading out in the opposite direction from where Billy was eating.

So, I start walking on the trail, headed west, to the van…………. 2.5 miles……

About 1/3 of a mile on the trail, I see fresh llama prints on the trail. I knew they were fresh because none of the prints had boot prints on them from hikers coming or going after the llama prints were made. Oddly, the prints are headed towards the trail head, NOT towards the lakes. I looked down the trail, and there is Billy, about 50 yards down the trail, headed towards the van.
    Chuck
    So. Oregon
    TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
    TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
    SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Now, what a dilemma this poses! If he is headed to the trail head, and that is where I have to “base” myself over the next two days trying to catch him, all of my “essential” backpacking equipment is 2.5 miles away, back at the campsite.

For the rest of the walk out, he wouldn’t let me closer than about 30 yards to him. He would gallop down the trail when I got that close. My thoughts were, “Oh, well. At least I know where he is”.

Walk, walk, walk………….. We get to within about 50 yards of the trail head, and two day hikers come around a turn, see Billy as he is approaching the turn. All three spooked, with Billy headed up the hill to the right to escape, get away, or whatever.

So, Plan A is now out the window. I am not going to be able to open the horse trailer door and get Billy to just walk in (in my dreams, but I had hope).

I called Susan to see what options she could come up with.
    She loads up her car with 3 days of supplies, gets the bucket I use when I give Billy cob, filled the bucket with cob, and starts the 2 hour drive to the trail head where I’m parked – after calling in to work and saying she won’t be in for a couple of days.

Susan shows up at 2:00pm.

Our plan is to rest for the rest of the day, because I am worn out, and take off in the morning for two very large grassy meadows I had scouted, while waiting for Susan.

We gave us two days to find him because Susan HAD to be back to work Friday evening and there was just too much area, and too many lush meadows, to cover looking for him.

While relaxing there at the trail head, we did ask every day hiker who came out from Deadfall that afternoon if they had seen a llama on the trail – just in case Billy chose to go back to my campsite. No one had seen a llama. That we took as a positive sign that he was still in the immediate area – a huge area no less.

At 7:15pm, truly the last day hikers into Deadfall Lakes came out. When asked if they had seen a llama munching or on the trail, the husband said he did see Billy, about 150 yards uphill on a grassy knoll, and he was eating at the top knoll meadow almost exactly five minutes away on the trail head. Now, there was a bit of luck.

Susan and I decided to go and see if we could find him this ONCE, as it was going to be getting dark soon.

We took the cob bucket, but only about ¼ full of cob, a lead which Susan brought from home, and headed out to see if we could find/catch him. We walked the suggested “5 minutes”, and there was the grassy knoll. Susan wanted to keep walking a bit longer; I chose to go up the knoll and see if I could find him.

When I got to the top, I saw him ahead of me, about 40 yards away. He gave me one of those, “Oh, s***. Them again!” looks, and started a slow walk so all I saw was his butt.

I shook the cob bucket, with the cob inside it – just like I do at home when I want him…………

He stopped in his tracks, slowly turned around and listened………..

I shook the cob bucket, and didn’t stop shaking the bucket.

It was like a very powerful magnet. He slowly walked in my direction, totally forgetting the freedom he was enjoying, never varying his cautious walk from almost a direct straight line towards that familiar sound, following the sound of the bucket.

He arrived at the bucket. He cautiously looked around before exploring the inside of the bucket. . . . . . . Yep, it was cob!

After about 7-8 times of getting some cob in his mouth, and me seeing he was feeling comfortable that he was scoring in Baskin Robbins, I was able to reach up and grab hold of the carabiner attached to his halter.
    We had him!

Susan had an 8’ lead. She brought it over and clipped on to his harness. I then let Billy eat about 2 cups of cob so he wouldn’t see too much negativity from this “bait”, and we brought him back to the van/trailer.
    We slept in the van that night, and oh, we slept good that night.

The next morning we emptied the pannier I brought out so we could take it back to camp at Deadfall Lake. When we got to camp at Deadfall Lakes, we spent two hours relaxing. Yes, Squeaky demanded we toss the stick into the lake a gazillion times, which we did – No, she isn’t spoiled. We then packed all the gear in both panniers, loaded up Billy, and walked back out.
    The irony was, with the lead rope attached, he knew his role. When I gave him the “stand” command so I could put his pack saddle on, the load on the packs and tie them down; he was almost like a statue standing there, I don’t think he moved a hoof.

What did this experience teach me?

I need to take cob with me every time I take Billy out. And I need to carry a small can of cob in the pack I carry on the trail (I am thinking a dog food can, because there are plastic lids for which fit dog food cans) in case I have to have some “bait” again.

I am also going to use that dog food can here at home, when I feed him cob, so he gets used to that sound.

There was a chance that I would have had to come home with out Billy, if I was there 2 more days and hadn’t caught him. But, Susan and I were going to give it our best shot and our efforts were rewarded.

Again………. I backpack so I can better prepare for the next time I backpack.
    Chuck
    So. Oregon
    TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
    SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

I think Billy took the opportunity to give YOU some much needed exercise and training........ :D

Need to train Squeaky to 'herd' that Llama.......
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
        I think Billy took the opportunity to give YOU some much needed exercise and training........ :D

Need to train Squeaky to 'herd' that Llama.......
        I am stiff and sore today, that is for sure!

:o Llamas are truly very, very bright animals and communicate really well. So, maybe you are right. It could have been a pay back for the 4-6 weeks of walking the mile to our mail box and back "getting him in shape". This could have been a pay back!:D

But, I am already looking at ideas and ways to carry an "Emergency" kit containing a can and grain. I might even write on the can "Baskin Robbins".
        Chuck
        So. Oregon

Comment

Working...
        X