Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• By The Numbers : National World War II Memorial

$197 million

Non-federal funds raised for construction of the memorial. The federal government kicked in an addition $16 million.

Recreational visits in 2009.

Gold stars on the memorial's Freedom Wall. Each star is meant to symbolize (roughly) 100 Americans who died in the war. The official tally is 405,399 lives lost. This is about 2.5% of the approximately 16 million Americans who served in the military.

Steel rods pounded into bedrock 35 feet below the surface while constructing a giant "bathtub" with two foot-thick concrete walls designed to protect the memorial from ground water seepage.

nearly 247 feet

Length of the Rainbow Pool (and fountains) that the memorial encloses. The preexisting pool and plaza were lowered six feet during reconstruction.

Granite columns symbolizing the wartime unity of 48 states, 7 federal territories, and the District of Columbia.

43 feet

Height of the two arched pavilions proclaiming victory on the Atlantic and Pacific fronts.

Bronze bas-relief panels flanking the Ceremonial Entrance and providing "glimpses into the human experience at home and at war" by depicting wartime scenes from the home front and combat.

Kilroys hidden at the memorial. (You have to find them yourself; one is actually on the outside of the monument.) During World War II American troops habitually left "Kilroy was here” grafitti, complete with cartoon character, wherever they went. Kilroy became one of the most widely known icons of World War II.

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com...i-memorial6176
    2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD Crewcab
    2004 Rockwood Freedom 1640 LTD
    I am not lost, I am here

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

I really like DC. Have been there twice now and there is so much to do and see and most of it is free. That is one of my favorite memorials, love it at night time when it's all lit up.

Comment

Working...
    X