Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparing for a NEW Season

Where to go? Where to go?
    You have done all of the new season things. Cleaned and reorganized the gear and machine/machines?
    Packed the necessaries that are always required. Checked your list twice as Santa says...
    If like most you will have at least one primeir journey/vacation or goal or destination you wish to achieve? Or do you????
    Lady (wife) and myself are lost and confused. We love Ontario. But, Ontario is a very big place! Have been there
    11 times.
    Love going new places and Canada is also a VERY big place.. It's just your first trip is more of a hit and miss thing and days are lost just traveling. Lots of great things to see. But, finding a cozy place to spend a few days is a different story.
    Question.; Is there a formula to find new and interesting places?
    How do you go about achieveing this?
    Advice please; Tried the old pin in the map thing. Ended in disaster.
    Last edited by angler57; 05-20-2010, 03:24 AM.

You bring up a great question...one that I struggle with often. Since I camp with a 9 & 2 year old, my wife and I usually find an area that has some interesting things to see and do. Then, I find the best campground in that area and away we go. Nothing fancy but my lil girls absolutely LOVE camping so I just keep looking for new adventures. They love to hike so I am fortunate to be so close to the Smokeys.

Comment

Two winters ago, Susan told me in 3 weeks she had 8 days off and wanted to go someplace. We live in Oregon. In the winter it is raining; maybe not as much as Seattle, but still raining.

I gave it about 57 seconds of thought and decided we should go to Ireland. Heck, if we have to go someplace that is raining, we might as go someplace we had never been before to get rained on!

In Ireland, it was overcast every day, rained one day, and we saw lots of things we would have never seen spending 8 days in Oregon's rain - and the people were awesome.

About two months ago, I decided that I didn't want to spend this next winter here in Oregon all the time. I decided i wanted to go to Tasmania in their "spring", see the flowers, and do some backpacking for a month. Susan couldn't go because she has to work for another 14 months before she is scheduled to retire.

She got really pouty about me going by myself. I told her if she wanted to go she would have to retire. less than 7 seconds later, she decided to retire the last workday before I wanted to fly out (October 28th). So, now we are both going to Tasmania to backpack their wilderness areas and do some coastal exploring on kayaks.

Does this count as "planning"? :rolleyes: Nah, probably not! But, in all honesty, that is how Susan and I schedule a lot of the things we do........
      Chuck
      So. Oregon
      TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
      TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
      SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey Mtn. Camper View Post
        You bring up a great question...one that I struggle with often. Since I camp with a 9 & 2 year old, my wife and I usually find an area that has some interesting things to see and do. Then, I find the best campground in that area and away we go. Nothing fancy but my lil girls absolutely LOVE camping so I just keep looking for new adventures. They love to hike so I am fortunate to be so close to the Smokeys.
        Now, this is an awesome read! Go for it, and enjoy.

I was just remembering me taking my daughter camping. When she was in middle school, she insisted on taking jars of bubbles when we went camping. she would get the kids from other sites together and have them blowing bubbles in camp. It was so cool to watch.
        Chuck
        So. Oregon
        TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
        TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
        SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Eagle;
          Good for your Lady. Denny

Comment

[quote=Eaglebait Ranch;7556]Now, this is an awesome read! Go for it, and enjoy.

I was just remembering me taking my daughter camping. When she was in middle school, she insisted on taking jars of bubbles when we went camping. she would get the kids from other sites together and have them blowing bubbles in camp. It was so cool to watch.[/quote)

Started camping with three youngins manymanymmany years ago.
            Then with their youngins.
            Was a blast. Love em all.
            Buttttttttttttttttt. Lady and I at this time in our lives really value our alone times.
            Not worrying about someone falling in the campfire. Wondering into the water. Etc.

Comment

Working...
            X