How do you protect your machine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you protect your machine?

In another thread, this item was mentioned. So, if you wanna share more bits & pieces with everyone about what it's like from your foxhole tell us what you use for security on your machine. Most of us anyway are awaiting warmer weather when camping will resume in all of it's glorious colors. It's been a rather hard and lengthy winter so far. Even here in the desert lots of el nino rain this year! So as usual I'll start as long as no one's objecting?

I have the latest McAfee, Advanced AVG & Reg Cure on my Dell. I haven't had a problem since 2007 when our last child finally strolled out of the house. McAfee will expire in August when the warranty is up on the Dell, but we are planning on extending it for a long time. Okay...now it's your turn? Thanks for looking and chipping in your ante($0.02)! Who knows not only are there some great campers here but there are also some intelligent folk when it comes to using these fantastic machines. I have an aunt that wants me to use her old electric type-writer...:eek:
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Hi Brent, I just have a windows fire wall coupled with a hardware fire wall...

And I can manually program the hardware firewall in the sys admin menu.
    My cooking site!

Comment

I had to disable the MicroSloth firewall, as it was restricting important capabilities. On my prior machine, I had the AVG Free - and it got nailed by a virus.
      So on the new machine, I have Kaspersky 2010 - a pretty good AntiVirus software that cost me about $50 for the year. It has already caught and quarentined several baddies. It also includes anti-spam with programmable filters. It runs on a schedule, in the background.

I had McAfee years ago, but it was a resource hog. Had a bad experience with Norton, so I avoid it too.

At work we have Trend Tri-Micro - it seems fairly good too.
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Have you checked w/ your Internet provider? My provider supplies the software on their server/s. This is the second provider in a row I have used who does this. Other than that, I use Microsoft's.
        Chuck
        So. Oregon
        TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
        TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
        SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Yeah, mine provides their version - BUT it didn't help my prior machine......

So I keep my own protection up and humming! It provides reports on the different types of badguys it catches, and has programmable attributes to tailor it to what I need.

It does NOT pay to "go cheap" with anti virus protection. Would you use a cheap condom...?
          Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I have used Zone Alarm Security Suite since 2004 and have not had any problems.

I have stayed away from any product an ISP supplies or modifies for their own users.
            2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD Crewcab
            2004 Rockwood Freedom 1640 LTD
            I am not lost, I am here

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

Comment

Working...
            X