Critters and Varmits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critters and Varmits

After gym today wife and self had a mild repast then drove to our closest State Park. It is one of the oldest and smallest in Indiana.
    Starve Hollow lake and campground.
    Drove thru park and then to office to purchase annual park passes.
    Staff was at a training session in Indy (Indianapolis).
    A DNR offoicier was in offfice doing paper work where he had access to a direct line to Indy. Chatted with him for a spell.
    Was telling him about a spotted owl had seen at dam site.
    He like us was expecting the arrivals of Sandhill Cranes on their return journey to the north.
    Suspect it is still to cold and weather is to unstable. Anxious to see the fields in front yard full of cranes and hear them chattering among themselves.
    Their mating dances are always something special to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAqcpMEoLa0
    Last edited by angler57; 02-23-2010, 12:22 PM.

Returned to Starve Hollow again today. A friend with Indiana DNR told us the location of an eagles nest visible from a county road. Visible that is, if you know where to look.
    If we ever have enough decent light here, will photograph it.

Comment

I guess "DNR" here doesn't have the same meaning as in the nursing profession?:confused: It took me a couple of readings to figure it out.

D __________ N _________ R___________ = ?
      Chuck
      So. Oregon
      TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
      TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
      SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

We have "Department of Natural Resources" down here too.
        I see Eagles at our local lake, Lake Talquin. It's just down the highway from me. Hawks are common here too - I once had a nesting pair spend a season in one of my backyard trees. My neighborhood squirrel population was devastated and terrorized, as they hunted to raise their young.
        Sometimes, I also hear the hooting of owls.
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
          We have "Department of Natural Resources" down here too.
          I see Eagles at our local lake, Lake Talquin. It's just down the highway from me. Hawks are common here too - I once had a nesting pair spend a season in one of my backyard trees. My neighborhood squirrel population was devastated and terrorized, as they hunted to raise their young.
          Sometimes, I also hear the hooting of owls.
          Now, that is a great story. Indiana has only recenyly begun to have a resident eagle population.
          Can see where small critters would get nervous.
          Most years we have a set of nesting birds in our grape arbour. They are a bit less threating of other locals. Mom and Pop Doves.

Comment

Sorry about DNR useage.

Well the Sandhill cranes are finally passing thru our area. Usually begin in late February. Mayhaps this lingering cold and nasty weather has slowed their return, headed for Canada.
            None in the fields across from the house yet. But, soon we hope.

Comment

Hey, no need to apologize for "DNR". I thought it humorous and was curious as it had to have another meaning than the one I was familiar with :D.

We live a mile east of a National Bald Eagle Habitat, and west of the eagle's feeding grounds at Tulelake Bird Sanctuary. So, we see bald's daily going back and forth feedin'. A few times, I have had one fly directly over me, 20-30 above me. Wow, what a sound they make when they go by.

Now, you know where the name for our ranch came from: we have raised chickens, and homing pigeons, in addition to sheep and goats. It is interesting to watch the "evasive tactics" the pigeons and chickens took when an eagle or hawk is close by.

The pigeons would fly towards a group of trees, in m**** then when pass on the other side of the trees, split/divide, and scatter.

The chickens seem to know to head to something tall and flat, preventing the eagle/hawk from swooping down, picking them up, and escaping.
              Chuck
              So. Oregon
              TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
              TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
              SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Thank Ya'lll for sharin. Sounds like a wonderful place to live. Said before, these beautiful raptors are just beginning to settle in Indiana.
                Last year some local idiot shot a male juvenile.
                Farmer found him. DNR gal and farmer went to retrieve the critter to take him for aid. Guess the eagle did not understand their intentions.
                Farmer sayes it became quiet a humorous scene.
                But, in the end all was well. Young critter mended and was released at local wildlife refuge.

Comment

My sister lived many years down south of town in a rural area - she had eight acres. Mostly horse pasture, as she was a "Horsey Person" back then. She once found a one-legged Egret and nursed him back to health, then gave him to a shelter that handled wild critters. SHe rescued many baby squirrels, from tree blowdown, storms knocking their nests down or other people bringing them to her - she became "The Squirrel Lady". :D
                  Raising them was quick, and they weened and returned to the forest very quickly. She kept a big tray of corn in the barn for them.
                  So, once we have a hurricane come close - no damage in town - but the critters were worried. She went out to feed her horses and goats, and finds the barn rafters FILLED with dozens of squirrels! Her "Babies" had raised families and brought them to the best shelter they knew!
                  Last edited by Bigdog57; 02-28-2010, 11:19 AM.
                  Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
                    My sister live many years down south of town in a rural area - she had eight acres. Mostly horse pasture, as she was a "Horsey Person" back then. She once found a one-legged Egret and nursed him back to health, then gave him to a shelter that handled wild critters. SHe rescued many baby squirrels, from tree blowdown, storms knocking their nests down or other people bringing them to her - she became "The Squirrel Lady". :D
                    Raising them was quick, and they weened and returned to the forest very quickly. She kept a big tray of corn in the barn for them.
                    So, once we have a hurricane come close - no damage in town - but the critters were worried. She went out to feed her horses and goats, and finds the barn rafters FILLED with dozens of squirrels! Her "Babies" had raised families and brought them to the best shelter they knew!
                    That was your sisters gift from the BOSS. This is a real heart stopper. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X