Pro's and Con's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro's and Con's

I have finally gotten my money together to buy me a really good camper. I had first had my heart set on a fifth wheel camper and buying a truck to pull it. Since then I have changed my mind to a motor home. Can yall please give me the pros and cons to both. I have been told that both run about the same MPG.

Re: Pro's and Con's

I can tell you right off that bat that if you get an RV, you're going to need another type of vehicle to go sightseeing in or run errands in.

A couple near us was pulling a rig, while another couple had an RV. The couple with the rig was able to take their truck and go on all kinds of day trips and whatnot, while the couple with the RV could only go as far as they could pedal on their bicycles.

Both couples were telling us (at different times) how when we're older we'll want to upgrade from a tent. Each one was telling us the pro's of their particular setup.

One thing I noticed with the RV though was the storage. It has a ton of storage underneath, while the trailer did not.

However, the truck had some type of setup for bicycles and kayaks, while the RV had bicycles only.

The trailer folks told us that it's hard to get an RV into a lot of wooded type camp sites, where pulling a 25 foot trailer can get into most spots.

Anyway, those are the things I noticed/heard about on our last camping trip. :D
    Last edited by surmisez; 07-17-2011, 06:34 PM. Reason: forgot to mention...
    "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
    ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

If you could afford it (they usually are more expensive) a 'toy hauler' allows carrying a couple motorcyles, scooters or a 4-wheeler inside while traveling.
      I know an older couple who live in the NC mountains but spend the winters travelling my motorhome, who have had a heavy-duty twin-rail unit welded to the back frame to carry their two small motorcycles on.
      A good pop-up trailer has a smaller footprint while travelling, but opens into a bigger living/sleeping area. Some have 'slide-outs' to go even bigger.
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I think the biggest con to the Motorhome is having to maintain another large truck chassis. After a few seasons of use, you'll need to find the money in your budget for the extra maintenance and upkeep, as well as any actual repairs that may be needed.

If it's a trailer, as you mentioned a 5th wheel, once the unit is 8, 12, even 20 years old, you can still be towing with as new of a tow vehicle as you want. With the motorhome, once it's 10 years old the truck underneath is also 10 years old. Many of the families in our group keep their trailers for many years, and just upgrade the tow vehicle every 6 or 8 years as they normally would with any regular family car.

Aside from wheel bearing grease every few years, trailers need almost nothing for mechanical maintenance. Unless you put serious miles on your rig, tires are going to last 10 or more years, as will trailer brake shoes.

Comment

I think the biggest con to the Motorhome is having to maintain another large truck chassis. After a few seasons of use, you'll need to find the money in your budget for the extra maintenance and upkeep, as well as any actual repairs that may be needed.

If it's a trailer, as you mentioned a 5th wheel, once the unit is 8, 12, even 20 years old, you can still be towing with as new of a tow vehicle as you want. With the motorhome, once it's 10 years old the truck underneath is also 10 years old. Many of the families in our group keep their trailers for many years, and just upgrade the tow vehicle every 6 or 8 years as they normally would with any regular family car.

Aside from wheel bearing grease every few years, trailers need almost nothing for mechanical maintenance. Unless you put serious miles on your rig, tires are going to last 10 or more years, as will trailer brake shoes.

Well said.....

Comment

A 5thwheel or Motorhome? Both have there good points. With a MH your faimly have excess to your bathroom, kitchen & bedroom while traveling down the road. If you stop in a rest area or at Wal-Mart you can take a nap or what ever with out having to leave your MH. Those are the pro's for a MH & here are a few of the Con's about 5 mpg, need to pull a tode to sight see, the MH will set in your driveway or storage when you are home--too big to use as a second car or to pickup supples at Lowes. MHs cost much more than trailers even when you figer in the cost of the TV. Now for 5thweels the Pro's about double the mpg, Less expensive to buy & operate, you can use the TV as a second car or to pick up supples at Lowes and as they age you can replace the TV or trailer as needed not both. The con's You have to stop to use the bathroom or to take a nap you have to get out and go back to the trailer. the learning curve may be harder because of backing the trailer into sites. In My humble opinion the 5th wheel is the best way to go, but it really comes down to your personal needs & wants. Just check both out before buying

Comment

Working...
            X