Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most popular rig? A, B, C, 5th Wheeler, or TT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most popular rig? A, B, C, 5th Wheeler, or TT?

Title pretty much says if all. A, B, C, 5th, or TT? Not to slight the tent camper, as that's basically what we are now. But we're hoping to retire and move up a notch in a year or so. Won't go full time, but would like to travel about and basically stay in COE, State, and National parks. Dear wife (DW) and I are sorta into trout fishing, camp out of a full size van with a bed in the back and have an electric scooter for "john" trips (DW has asthma and other health issues. So I bought the scooter for her - but I also use the heck out of it.) And that's the thick of it.

What could we move up to that's affordable to purchase, maintain and operate in your opinion? Considering dollars vs comfort?

Thanks to all and nice to be here.

garmp

Re: Most popular rig? A, B, C, 5th Wheeler, or TT?

I'd get a small class C if I where you. You could still pop the scooter on the back. Plug in for power when you need, or use a small generator when in the sticks.

We have a pre-teen family and will probably be upgrading to one like that. We have a pop-up right now. We want something with a motor. Leaving us the ability to ditch the daily driver we use to tow it.
    JohnJohn
    ---------
    Forum Admin

Comment

It is a matter of choice. We started with a pop-up, then a 5th wheel and finally an A Class diesel pusher (with a Jeep frog). Last summer we sold the motor home and the Jeep and bought another 5th wheel. We liked the A Class but we just had too many engines to maintain, too many tires to replace, etc. The 5th wheel is our favorite................could have saved a lot of money if we had just rented an A Class a few times before we bought one!

Comment

Ms Liz has it right in my opinion too. The 5th wheel is the way to go. There are a lot of reasonably priced units out there. The nice part about the 5th wheel is you have your vehicle available if you want to venture away from the camp... there is no need to unplug the camper. You can get some very comfortable 5th wheel units that are also 1/2 ton towable. One thing you didn't mention is the safety factor. There is a definite safety advantage in the 5th wheel over the TT. Just ask any truck driver! It will make DW happy too... trust me I know!

Comment

Working...
        X