Trailer light problems, please help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer light problems, please help!!

Ok, I have an 88 Terry travel trailer that I tow with my 02 k1500. The lights worked fine and then all of a sudden one day they were all messed up. First I couldn't keep my tail lights on unless I messed with the bulb every time I started the truck. Then the right blinker wouldn't work and then later when I would turn the blinker on they both would flash. This all happened in a one weekend trip. I got home and removed the stock lights because it looked like some wires may have been touching each other and they were in need of replacing anyway. Replaced the old lights and checked them probably 4 different times while re installing them. They worked perfectly every time. Got them all done screwed in and siliconed up, waited for a few hours and then checked them again and now they don't work!!!! The brake lights are on as the tail lights and nothing else will work. I know it's not my truck because I have another trailer that works fine. What I do not understand is why 5 hours ago they worked and now they don't. Could a bad ground cause this? If so, where would it be on a travel trailer? Please help, getting very frustrated!

Many trailers get their ground through the ball contact, but it's best to have a stout cable connection. My father always had a separate ground strap on the trailer, and conncted to the truck by bolt and thumb nut.
    Also, how is the truck harness installed? It can be tricky getting the current OBD-II CannBuss system to work. Gotta keep the computers happy.
    A good hitch installation company should be able to wring it out for not too much moohlah.
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

The truck harness is factory and works fine because it works on my other trailer. I'm sure that a rv repair place could fix it pretty easily but I don't want to take it somewhere and pay someone unless that is my only other option. Just looking for ideas from people.

Anyone know an easy way to find out if there is a short in your system and how to locate it?

Comment

Best way to do this......get a 12V light probe.......

Google what pins on the truck connector do what.
        Take your probe out and have a helper step on the brakes/l turn/R turn etc.

Once you know the truck end is OK, then go backwards from the lights to the connector.
        You may have to completely replace wires.

Comment

Working...
        X