What do you use your generator for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you use your generator for?

If you have a large trailer or 5th wheel, what do you use your generator for?
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

To draw attention to your large 5th wheel rig, which is painted white, right?
    Chuck
    So. Oregon
    TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
    TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
    SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

I would guess to run ac or heat if I was boon docking.

However, I don't think I would ever run one. If I was boon docking I would plan to bring enough warm clothing and good sleeping bags along to stay warm. If it was summer I would bring some battery operated fans. The batteries on your trailer will run the water pump for the toilet and sink and the propane will run the fridge with the use of some battery but as long as you have enough battery you should be fine without a generator for a few days. If you were staying somewhere for a week or two you may want one to recharge the batteries but a lot of the hardcore boon dockers use solar to recharge instead.

I suppose the folks who want heat and microwaves and tv's when no electric hookups are available might want a generator. But If I felt I needed those things I would only stay in places that had a plug in.

Comment

Originally posted by rxcamping View Post
        I suppose the folks who want heat and microwaves and tv's when no electric hookups are available might want a generator. But If I felt I needed those things I would only stay in places that had a plug in.
        Or if someone wants that nonsense - STAY HOME! :rolleyes:

It ain't camping with all that stuff - it's a rolling motel room.
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Or you may be at an event such as a swapmeet, race, flea market, ect that you need the power for tools, computers, sales equipment ect. I go to a few events and use my travel trailer as a hotel room vs a camper sometimes and take a generator for use at the event and a little more comfort. I have also dry camped and brought the generator along and did not end up using it, but had it if we did decide to. I imagine if we had an all day downpour I would have used it then we could have some comfort while waiting out the storm.

Comment

Kind of an offshoot to the thread..........does anyone use their "own" solar panels to charge batteries?

I have not much idea about trailers and RV's, but I hear that some/most come with panels to charge batteries.
            Does anyone have their own DIY solar rack(s)

Comment

Working...
            X