Brought the trailer home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brought the trailer home

Brought the trailer home from the dealership last weekend. I was able to find a storage place that does not force me to back between two trailers that are within 6 inches of mine on either side.

I was scared to death about backing up a 30 ft trailer so we took it out to a large parking lot and practiced. To my surprise I did very well the first time. I only had to correct my course by pullling forward a few times. during hour we practiced. I passed the final exam by backing it into my driveway.

We take it out for the first time this weekend. We are going to a place called Waubonsie about an hour from here.

Sounds great RX! Let us know how your camping went! Take a few photos too and share them here in the Photo Gallery, everyone would love to see your rig! Thanks for sharing!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

congrats, what did you buy? practice backing on the weekend in an empty parking lot, thats what i did , take a few orange cones to back between, better to practice then have an accident. Happy camping!!

Comment

We bought a 2004 Jayco 29 FBS. Sorry for the slow response as to how the first weekend went. it went great was not all that different then tent camping for me as I did the same things I have always done. Cooked breakfast on the coleman camp stove/griddle in the morning and stayed busy hiking and biking with my son all afternoon. In the evening we had a dutch oven casserole (hashbrowns with hamburger, cream of mushroom soup, garlic, onions, and cheese) turned out okay but not my best. The recipe went in the fire after dinner as it was not a keeper when the others campers voted it out of the binder that the keepers go into. The only thing that was different was sleeping and potty breaks. It was nice not having to hike to the latrine.

I am frustrated with the place we bought it. When they gave me a product demonstration they told me to open one of the valves on the water heater. Well it turns out there are two more they forgot to show me. So the lack of hot water on our first trip out with our new/used unit was a little frustrating. I called the tech center at the retailer and we did fix it. But we had to refill the fresh water tank since I had dumped a lot of it trying to get the water heater to work. All in all a good weekend and we will be going out next Wednesday for five days to a local park with a lake that will allow all of our favorite activities.
        Last edited by rxcamping; 04-30-2010, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Thanks RX for the update and I admit too that I haven't given the campateers the honest shake when it comes to camping with a small trailer or a large 5th wheel. Time to mend the fence! I no of nothing when it comes to camping in this style, willing to learn though. What other problems have you encountered from your move to a large trailer. We all put our jeans on one leg at a time. I really want to learn about this form of campin'?

The idea that this is mainly a tent camper's site is probably all my fault. When I was first looking at a camping forum to join I stumbled in here because the focus was on tenting. Every other camping site was ruled by the mega-RVs. At times it seems that most campgrounds at major natural attractions are geared toward the RVer. So I started a mini-crusade for tent campers. So now, I'm gonna mend the errors of my ways, sorta, and ask questions about campin' within an apartment on wheels.
          Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
          Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Re: Brought the trailer home

Originally posted by rxcamping View Post
            Brought the trailer home from the dealership last weekend. I was able to find a storage place that does not force me to back between two trailers that are within 6 inches of mine on either side.

I was scared to death about backing up a 30 ft trailer so we took it out to a large parking lot and practiced. To my surprise I did very well the first time. I only had to correct my course by pullling forward a few times. during hour we practiced. I passed the final exam by backing it into my driveway.

We take it out for the first time this weekend. We are going to a place called Waubonsie about an hour from here.
            Congratulations! I will go to Waubonsie with my family. I hope we will meet there. :D

Comment

New to fifth wheel camping

We just purchased our cameo 36 ft 5th wheel and have only been out a couple times. So far we love it! Years ago when kids were young we had a pull trailer and a van. Kids grew up left home and so we decided to try camping again. We are semi retired so at this time just camping a few days at a time. Hoping to make some new camping friends and learn some camping tips.

Comment

Working...
              X