No announcement yet.

How do I find block ice for my coolers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I find block ice for my coolers?

Hi everyone, I'm trying to figure out how to find block ice for my cooler. I hate using bag ice only, it just melts too quickly. The last time I tried to look for block ice, I only found dry ice and it was about $34 for a six pound block. I can't see paying that much. I asked a few stores and they said they haven't gotten ice delivered like that in a long time, even though they've got it listed on their websites. No one knows where to get it that I've asked. We recently lost most of our blue ice from a mouse problem, they ate through the blocks.

I'm not sure if I could make my own or not, but I do have some metal bread loaf pans and like cake pans. As long as they won't get deformed in the freezer I can probably use them. I've got a cheap igloo cooler and a smaller cooler for drinks ect.

As the years pass block ice is getting harder to find...
    I have tried looking up the suppliers of ice in the phone book (when there was such things) now doing an on line search will likely work, I found the last company by asking the cashier at the local liqueur store "who supplies your ice?"

After much chasing around I was told that the ice block machine was broke and they were not going to get it fixed.

Since then I have used the time honored practice of freezing water containers in the freezer at home. well cleaned gallon milk or water jugs work as do standard/cheap water bottles.
    Be sure to allow adequate expansion volume for the water or you container will split/break.
    For my lunch box cooler I used to use the re-freezable ice packs but they do not work all that well fro the large cooler.

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Working...
    X